yellows

owen101

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.spencroftlofts.co.uk

I breed yellow kirkpatricks and yellow kirkpatricks with a dash of jan aarden. One of my yellow kirkpatrick/jan aardens flew in the 2009 rpra one loft race. She didnt win bless her but flew in every race including the big final

Guest beautyhomer
A yellow is a dilute red. The only difference between a dilute bird and a non dilute bird is the amount of pigment in the colour, a dilute having around half the pigment of a non dilute so I can't see why they should'nt be as good as any non dilute bird. True silvers are dilute blue. Dun is dilute black. The silvers the racing fanciers know are dilute brown ( I think!). If you want to breed yellows you must first get a dilute bird or a bird that carries dilute and breed it with another. Some birds carry dilute as you need two doses for it to show and if they have been bred from a non dilute/dilute pair they will only have one dose and therefore will be non dilute but carry it. I think the faults old yellow is talking about must have come about with line breeding to get the dilute factor. Best not to over do the in/line breeding in any animals. So just get yourself a bird or better still two (quicker) that carries the dilute factor and bobs your uncle. I have yellow tumblers and have bred youngsters from them with no problems what so ever. Have fun! (smarty2)

Dilute is a sex linked recessive colour modifying gene.As such it is only cocks that need two dilute genes to be dilute.If they only have one then they will be carriers.Hens can only have one dilute gene so they are either dilute or not they cannot be carriers.

In old yellows case where yellows paired together bred pieds it would have nothing to do with the dilute genes present.They must both be carrying recessive pied genes which became apparent when paired together.

i got a red van reet cock from louella with pedigree paired it to dark van reet hen i got 2 yellow hens and 2 red cocks from them lost 1 cock racing disposed of 1yellow and 1 red ybs, other yellow hen has raced 2 seasons and is down on eggs now paired to a red van reet cock, do not want any young birds from them, will never buy any more birds from louella cost me £50  

i got a red van reet cock from louella with pedigree paired it to dark van reet hen i got 2 yellow hens and 2 red cocks from them lost 1 cock racing disposed of 1yellow and 1 red ybs, other yellow hen has raced 2 seasons and is down on eggs now paired to a red van reet cock, do not want any young birds from them, will never buy any more birds from louella cost me £50  

If the red cock was yellow it would have been called a kirkpatrick!  :-/

A yellow is a dilute red. The only difference between a dilute bird and a non dilute bird is the amount of pigment in the colour, a dilute having around half the pigment of a non dilute so I can't see why they should'nt be as good as any non dilute bird. True silvers are dilute blue. Dun is dilute black. The silvers the racing fanciers know are dilute brown ( I think!). If you want to breed yellows you must first get a dilute bird or a bird that carries dilute and breed it with another. Some birds carry dilute as you need two doses for it to show and if they have been bred from a non dilute/dilute pair they will only have one dose and therefore will be non dilute but carry it. I think the faults old yellow is talking about must have come about with line breeding to get the dilute factor. Best not to over do the in/line breeding in any animals. So just get yourself a bird or better still two (quicker) that carries the dilute factor and bobs your uncle. I have yellow tumblers and have bred youngsters from them with no problems what so ever. Have fun! (smarty2)

But only the cock bird can carry dilute (pale gene)The hen cannot. Deb

And if the cock bird was dilute as well,you wouldn't need a ash red to carry pale,you would be tripping over young yellows. Deb

Yes, but the problem people have is breeding dilute cocks which is why you need a carrier cock to pair to a dliute hen to produce a % of cocks. Once you have a dilute cock it will breed dilutes with anything.

Yes, but the problem people have is breeding dilute cocks which is why you need a carrier cock to pair to a dliute hen to produce a % of cocks. Once you have a dilute cock it will breed dilutes with anything.

Yes that's correct.But if you have an ash cock that  carries dilute,any yellows he produces will always be hens.Then the following season mate father to daughter to breed yellow cocks and yellow hens. Deb

Guest beautyhomer

But only the cock bird can carry dilute (pale gene)The hen cannot. Deb

Dilute and pale are two different genes but they are alleles.Pale is dominant over dilute.There is also an extreme dilute gene.

Guest beautyhomer
Yes that's correct.But if you have an ash cock that  carries dilute,any yellows he produces will always be hens.Then the following season mate father to daughter to breed yellow cocks and yellow hens. Deb

This is only true if he is paired to a non dilute hen.If he is paired to a dilute hen then you will get dilutes in both sexes.

This is only true if he is paired to a non dilute hen.If he is paired to a dilute hen then you will get dilutes in both sexes.

Put your glasses on beauty home and read my answer.If you had a dilute hen to start with,you would hardly need to pair any daughters back to the cock.You would simply carry on breeding from the same pair to achieve the numbers you require. Deb