A little confused.

[face=Verdana]I originally had two pairs of birds, and enough space for the lot of them.

One hen had died this past summer, and I have been looking for someone local to take her mate in - no luck as of yet.

The other pair has laid four eggs since at decent intervals. Two hatched and seemed to be successful, the squab made it a little under a week, (5 days?), before they both turned up dead.

This last clutch, one egg was dinged up - literally had a dent in it - and didn't hatch, the other did. This one didn't make it three days.

Am I probably right in thinking the mateless cock is offing the young? I would figure that between the other two birds, he wouldn't be able to harm the baby - but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, he's sorted and leaving the end of the week.

What do you guys think?[/face]

Guest spin cycle

some cocks will go into nests and fight/kill....i had one that did that. i nearly throttled him....but didn't and he went on to take a good card haul....then a hawk ate him....wonderful hobby sometimes (dizzy)  (:)

Guest spin cycle
Hm.. Righto.

Thanks for your response. If I had anything other than fancies and he had a means to earn his keep (win races), then I'd think twice about selling him.

Sorry for your loss, I think. Don't like to feed the local Bop's, but then you're out a bully it seems. :P

sad thing is it was probably that 'mean' streak which ,in his case, motivated him to come home quickly. fortunately not all pigeons are like that. as to loosing him....its just part of it i'm afraid. i try and spend my energy on finding the next 'good one' because ,when you let them out, they may not all come back in. got to watch carefully now for next month as mrs sparra is keen :)