The Joe Murphy Column 8/10/20

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

Received a request from my dear old friend from away back in the 1960’s Gavin Ferguson who used to race in the Cowdenbeath club, back then he held his own in club and federation racing. Gavin moved to Forfar away back in 1999 and now races in the Forfar club and Angus Federation. Anyone who reads my weekly column will have noticed that most weeks they are on the federation results if not at the top then they are not far away from the top spot. Gavin at that time flew as Macaulay & Ferguson and then his good friend Jimmy Curran went into partnership in 2014. They sourced out the best birds available either by buying directly from the fancier or by attending clearance sales and purchased some top quality pigeons paying ‘Top Dollar’ for them. This has been proven over the years by the amount of club, federation and National results achieved by the Macaulay, Ferguson & Curran partnership over the years, you just have to log onto the result section in both SNFC & SNRPC websites to check this out. Gregor Macaulay died a few years ago however they decided to keep his name in the partnership as a sign of respect. Although they have purchased good honest pigeon there will be no fancy ‘5 generation’ pedigrees with the birds, and they are valued to sell at working men’s prices. As Gavin says ‘Joe, pedigrees DO NOT win races, it is the pigeons that win races not paper pedigrees’. The partnership have 2 exceptional birds up for sale, their ‘SNFC Silver Award’ known as ‘Fergie’s First’ see photograph and their 2nd open 2019 SNFC Maidstone winning Blue Pied cock was named ‘JC’ after Jimmy Curran. ‘Fergie’s First’ the Silver Award cock’s performances are as follows; in 2016 he won 29th section C 82nd open Littlehampton flying 415 miles that same year he won 33rd section C 108th open from Roye flying 534 miles. The following year he was entered into the Bedhampton race a distance of 408 miles and he won 91st section C 349th open, this same year he was sent to Falaise a distance of 551 miles and he won 45th open but no section prize card. In 2018 he was again entered from the Roye national and he won 24th section C but no open position from this 534 mile race point, however he made up for it in 2019 when he won 4th section C 10th open from the Roye SNFC national. This year 2020 ‘Fergie’s First’ was entered into the SNFC Reims race and returned on the Saturday night missing the result, Gavin said to me ‘Joe he did not have the roadwork prior to going to the race and basically I let the pigeon down’ you cannot get more honest than that? The 2nd open SNFC Maidstone 2019 winning blue pied cock competed against an entry of 2957 birds entered by 421 members liberated at 07-00am into a light south west wind he was timed at 13-43 doing a velocity of 1753 and was beaten by 5 yards by a bird flying 100 miles shorter. Gavin would appreciate sensible offers for BOTH the above birds; and NO time wasters please. As you can imagine Gavin has had many sleepless nights, not only regarding his health issues but as to continue with the birds which he has been associated for 50 years and like the rest of us has had his highs and lows during this time. However he now realises with having the ‘big C’ that he has no option but to give up his beloved pigeons.

Fergie's First see text.

Fergie's First see text.JPG

As we know we have the ‘Covid 19’ restrictions which do not allow him to hold an auction sale in a hall, so with the help of the ‘Pigeon Basics’ web site he intends to sell all the race birds, on this site. Gavin stressed to me to avoid any confusion, that NO STOCK birds are being sold as Jimmy Curran who attends to them on a daily basis is keeping them, and it will be only the RACE birds sold. It is hoped a date of the 17th October will be available for the sale, with offers on the 2 above mentioned birds starting with the highest bid offered prior to the sale beginning. As we all can understand this has been a very difficult decision for Gavin however he does know it is in his best interest and wellbeing for himself and his family. We wish Gavin all the best with his pending sale and he is in our prayers and thoughts at this sad time.

Good Family Line

Received an email from Dale Renwick son of my old BHW scribe Jim Renwick of Broxburn: Dale informed me that his blue white flight hen SU 19 CA 2333 has done everything asked of her from his good friend Hamish Ferguson flying out to Peterborough this year and hopefully she will manage to go to the SNFC Gold Cup race next year. Her nest mate won 23rd section C 57th open from the SNFC Maidstone race this year for Brian Chalmers of Kennoway and a half-brother won 3rd section C 7th open SNFC Reims for Craig Wright of Cardenden again this year. So birds definitely bred for the job in hand and well done to the above and to Dale on breeding these top quality pigeons:

Short Article

There is not much going on in the pigeon sport at the moment, with most fanciers being housebound due the tighter coronavirus restrictions that are being announced each day. These restrictions are hard but necessary in trying to control the spread of the virus. Margaret and I are no different and have to face time our family as we are not allowed to visit them or for them to come to see us. There are big modifications in everyone’s life at the moment.

Joe’s Joke

Question; what do you get when you offer a Scottish Lassie a penny for her thoughts?

Answer; Change.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or you can also view online editions on: www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk - www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! - thecanadianpigeoninternational.com www.internationalracingpigeon.com or

https://sites.google...alracingpigeon/

Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy