The Joe Murphy Column 9/1/20

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

Received an email from my dear old friend Bernard Deweerdt from Kortemark in Belgium who wrote, ‘Dear Joe, Guy Reed told me you had some health issues but hope all this belongs to the past now. (as a matter of interest Guy has been back in the hospital and we wish him a speedy recovery). Unbelievable isn’t it the millennium is already 20 years behind us? On the other hand plenty more things are incredible nowadays, definitely so if you’re watching politics and Britain is not an exception to this at all. Luckily we still have the birds to relax in our own world but I’m afraid the English who will fly the channel after the Brexit might be shocked by the time the transporters will need to cross the channel. I wouldn’t be surprised if this forces them to race more and more from the north. I’ve retired from work after the summer and really am enjoying my first winter as a “free man”. With all that political mess forgot to tell you some pigeon news. Especially Filip did extremely well with his mini-loft winning the extreme long distance club championship by far (7 old bird & 2 yearling races with 1st & 2nd nominated, 3 prizes more than the runner up) and also 4th national Marathon (see below). Looks like the quality is still in the genes Joe and wishing you and your family all the best for 2020..

National Marathon met 1st released pigeon at; Barcelona Narbonne Perpignan;

• Debaene Hubert Beernem 3

• Aerens Daniel Drongen 3

• Dhondt Freddy Overmere 3

• Deweerdt Filip Kortemark 3

• Van De Walle Zwalm 2

Marc & Franky

• Pollin Marc Snellegem 2

• De Meulemeester

Gabriel & Johan Zulte 2

• Boddaert WMJF Oostkamp 2

• Ravelingien Martin Tiegem 2

• Meirlaen Etienne St Marten- 2

Latem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------From: Valence–Agen-Montelimar-Barcelona-St Vincent-Narbonne-Perpignan

1 DEWEERDT FILIP KORTEMARK

2 BOURGEOIS PIERRE IZEGEM

3 DELRUE IVAN & GUNNAR KOEKELARE

4 AMEEL-VANLAKE DADIZELE

5 VANOVERSCHELDE-COLAE ZARREN

6 VERMANDER ERIC OEKENE

7 DEWEERDT MEV E +ZN KORTEMARK

8 LINGY JEROEN ROESELARE

9 VANHAVERBEKE PETER KOEKELARE

10 COOPMAN MARNIX RUMBEKE

Our congratulations go to Filip on his achievements in the 2019 season and wish him and Bernard all the best for 2020.

Pentland Hills Presentation

Received information from Andy Miller with details of the presentation of the Pentland Hills Federation & New Lothian Racing Pigeon Club: who held a quiz panel presentation on Friday 6th of December 2019. The panel consisted of Davie Elliot, Billy Bilsland and Paul Macaloney, who entertained a sell-out audience with some excellent advice and stories from their many successes. Then the presentation of prize winners took place these were as follows:

Buckingham old birds; winner Mrs Alison Mitchell of Castlebrae who won 1st federation 10th section B 28th open.

Maidstone old birds: winner Andy Miller of Sighthill who won 1st federation 6th section B 12th open.

Burdinne Gold Cup race: winner Andy Miller of Sighthill who won 1st federation 1st section B 1st open.

Reims race: winner B Thomas & Son of Woodburn who won 1st federation 3rd section 17th open.

Ypres race winner: John Smith of Bonnyrigg who won 1st federation 1st section B 2nd open.

Roye race winner: Andy Miller who won 1st federation 1st section B 2nd open.

Buckingham Young Bird National won by Freddie Robertson who won 1st federation 1st section B 1st open.

The best average Billericay Federation Open race & Burdinne SNFC is won by Andy Miller of Sighthill club. The best average Burdinne & Roye is also won by Andy Miller. The Billericay federation open race is won by the Brown & Black partnership of Woodburn club. The Newark young bird open race was won by D & J Allen of Woodburn. The best average from Billericay & Newark young birds is won by Brown & Black of Woodburn. The best average from the 4 longest old bird races is won by D & J Allen of Woodburn. The best average the 3 longest young bird races is won by Freddie Robertson of Danderhall club.

The old bird average winners are Willie Pryde & Son John of Arniston; with the runners up for the old bird average being D & J Allen of Woodburn. The young bird average is won by Freddie Robertson of Danderhall; runner up for the young bird average are Brown & Black of Woodburn club; Combine average winner is Freddie Robertson of Danderhall with the runner up for the combine average being the Brown & Black of Woodburn partnership. The old bird points is won by Willie Pryde & son John of Arniston with 39 points.

The management committee and officials would like to thank the panel for their time and generosity for a most enjoyable evening. They would also like thank all the members & guests who attended the evening from all over Scotland. A special word of praise must also go to Andy Miller who has done a wonderful job as press officer for the federation and New Lothian RPC. Congratulations to one and all from Joe M.

Billy Bilsland with John Pryde.

Billy Bilsland with John Pryde.jpg

John Smith with Billy Bilsland.jpg

John Smith with Billy Bilsland.jpg

Davie with Andy Miller

Davie with Andy Miller.jpg

Davie with Freddie Robertson

Davie with Freddie Robertson.jpg

Paul with Alison Mitchell.

Paul with Alison Mitchell.jpg

B Thomas & son with Paul

B Thomas & son with Paul (2).jpg

Joe’s Joke

A man is in court on trial. The judge says, "On the 3rd August, you were accused of killing your wife by beating her to death with a hammer, how do you plead?" "Guilty", said the man in the dock. Another man at the back of the courtroom stands up and shouts, "You dirty rat!" The judge asks the man to sit down and to refrain from making any noise. The judge then continues, "...and also on the 17th September you are accused of killing your son by beating him to death with a hammer, how do you plead?" "Guilty," says the man in the dock. Again the same man at the back stands up and shouts even louder, "You dirty rotten stinking rat!" At this point the Judge calls the loud man to the bench and says, "I have already asked you to be quiet. If you continue with these outbursts, I will have to charge you with contempt of court. I can understand your feelings, but what relationship do you have with this man?" He replies, "He is my next door neighbour." The judge replies, "I can understand your feelings then, but you must refrain from any comments." The man replied "No, your honour, you don't understand. Twice I have asked if I could borrow a hammer, and BOTH TIMES he said he didn't have one!"

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or you can also view online editions on: www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk - www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! - thecanadianpigeoninternational.com www.internationalracingpigeon.com or

https://sites.google...alracingpigeon/

Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy