R I P Jimmy Smith

THE FIFER

Obituary

Smith Jimmy of Elphinstone in East Lothian; It is with a sad heart that I report the passing of Jimmy in his 84 year. He and his wife Aggie were well known figures within Scottish racing pigeon fraternity as they were the proud owners of ‘Champion Fortune Lady’. This wonderful pigeon was a household name in the Scottish National Flying Club as she was the first pigeon in the history of the club to win 2 Gold Awards (A Gold Award was presented to a pigeon for winning 5 times in its section from France) The Gold Award started in 1975 and she won her first in 1989 and competed the double in 1994. Everyonein Brittan wanted a youngster from her and I was lucky enough to purchase 2 eggs from her prior to her winning her first Gold Award. Jimmy was at one time chief convoyer with the SNFC and he did this job for quite a number of years.He passed on the reins of this job to fellow Elphinstone club mate Tom McEwen who continued to fly the flag for the SNFC. I remember Tom telling me years ago when Fortune Lady died that Jimmy phoned him sobbing his heart out that she had passed away. She was more to him than a racing pigeon she was the LOVE of his life (outside of his family of course). Jimmy’s wife Aggie passed away last October and sadly Jimmy passed away on the 7th September 2018. To his son James, Brian, sister Andrina and other members of the family we send out heartfelt condolences at this sad time. Jimmy like ‘Champion Fortune Lady’will no longer with us but they will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

Joe Murphy

Scottish Scribe