Advice Needed

On Saturday night I forgot to close my young bird sputnick trap. Next morning I found 3 bird's had been killed 1 was on the loft floor the other 2 were under the loft. At first I thought it was a cat. But morning in my main loft I found a yearling hen dead with it's head ripped off. I am now thinking it's a rat. Any suggestings how I can catch it ?

You need to work out how It’s getting in. Block any potential entry points especially those on low level and the Sputnik too. As long as they can get in you’ll get more - especially now they will have your loft down as an easy place to dine. Go on google and buy some ruby paste - it’s amazing stuff and cheap (make sure ya get paste not pellets though). Place the paste under the shed or around the loft but be sure any dogs or cats or the birds can’t get to it. That gear will kill any rats or mice. But be assured if you don’t block the entry points in time you’ll get more.

On Saturday night I forgot to close my young bird sputnick trap. Next morning I found 3 bird's had been killed 1 was on the loft floor the other 2 were under the loft. At first I thought it was a cat. But morning in my main loft I found a yearling hen dead with it's head ripped off. I am now thinking it's a rat. Any suggestings how I can catch it ?

Get youself a heavy duty metal rat trap bait it with peanut butter and leave it under the loft. You could also get rat poison blocks from your local garden centre to place under the loft also but make sure that any other pets or your birds can get near it.

Regarding the use of poison as some of the pigeon men said you have to watch where you put it as regarding to other wildlife,the reason i brought this up was i was visiting a local fancier who was overrun with rats he was using the poison blocks and just throwing them under the loft and i said you will need to make sure the little birds can't get to it,his words were fcku them,i know there is plenty of good fanciers who care for wildlife and some who dont

Mark 6 Fenn Trap... Deadly and be careful when setting as it will break bones. Have used them with great success and are due to be outlawed for sale in the near future. Remember it is illegal to put on post where bird of prey could alight..

And rightly so they should be banned,oh i forgot you were a big time gamekeeper Peter,and what would you catch if you put them on a fence post Peter,could that be a barn owl,tawny owl are you wanting rid of all the birds of prey????????

And rightly so they should be banned,oh i forgot you were a big time gamekeeper Peter,and what would you catch if you put them on a fence post Peter,could that be a barn owl,tawny owl are you wanting rid of all the birds of prey????????

There was a photo recently in the Daily Express of a sparrowhawk dangling dead by the legs on a post which was a blatant fix as the Fenn trap would have had both its Legs off which is why I wrote to beware where you put them as I am sure no Pigeon Fancier would wish to harm any Bird of Prey.

There was a photo recently in the Daily Express of a sparrowhawk dangling dead by the legs on a post which was a blatant fix as the Fenn trap would have had both its Legs off which is why I wrote to beware where you put them as I am sure no Pigeon Fancier would wish to harm any Bird of Prey.

You are a bundle of laugh's at the moment, let's hope you don't get caught in one of your traps lol

I had the same problem a few years ago,I would sit in the loft for hours after dark,and soon as I left it was in killing a yb(chewing the head and neck)so set a tunnel trap on the stone dyke behind the loft and caught the colony alpha rat,never had any problems after that

Hope you catch the culperate billy good luck