East Coast Racing

dunc50

Just back from a weekend away, and went in to the loft to see how the youngsters Faird,, and was gutted 18 down from Saturday, that's us Finnish for season, last season, out west, 11 down for season, were over 100 birds down this season, the birds have proven there good enough but personally for us the east is a sloughter house,, but that's the times we live in,

expletive remove wake up you lot, the hawks have killed the sport, its finished, end of.Everywhere is saturated with them and its our fault for rearing them up nicely with feeding them our beloved doos. Pointless talking about it because the doo game is full of idiots that wont do fk all to save it. I thought it had 3-5 years left, im wrong, its done now, believe me.

expletive remove wake up you lot, the hawks have killed the sport, its finished, end of.Everywhere is saturated with them and its our fault for rearing them up nicely with feeding them our beloved doos. Pointless talking about it because the doo game is full of idiots that wont do fk all to save it. I thought it had 3-5 years left, im wrong, its done now, believe me.

Sad but true

Sadly it's true Derek, most fanciers are sitting around with blindfolds on waiting on somebody else to try and sort out the problem for them.

100%

I m afraid I think You are correct but also lots are breeding birds that can't get home from short distances and won't send to long distance so not testing our birds but I fear the Percy and their supporters have us beat and no amount of talking will sort it , all web sites are scared to print anything detrimental to the peregrine so we can't talk about what we can do for ourselves to get rid of the problem .

Very hard times ahead along with virus they have us beaten .

I think its all very well thinking that fowk should sort out this situation i live in a built up area traps ,shooting ,out of the question neighbours all round ,and if caught would the SHU stand by you ,would your FED or anyone help with fine jail sentencs no would they f---, all feds all unions should club the gether and go for a change in the law ,this fanciers saying they are doing there bit is it making a difference not a jot ?? not even in their own area IMO only

just been hit outside my house, with female sparrowhawk,

Spoke to jimm Hannah a couple of weeks ago about this .There are no wee birds about .the swallows the finches etc have already left .the sparrowhawk is now hungry and our pigeons are on the menu now .had a squeaker hit and it was relentless trying to get it even after i chased it off it twice .cheeky bassa .it didn't get its dinner glad to say .

• 1 month later...

Spoke to jimm Hannah a couple of weeks ago about this .There are no wee birds about .the swallows the finches etc have already left .the sparrowhawk is now hungry and our pigeons are on the menu now .had a squeaker hit and it was relentless trying to get it even after i chased it off it twice .cheeky bassa .it didn't get its dinner glad to say .

Yes the summer visators are gone but winter visators are due to flood in,

• 6 months later...

just read this on facebook interesting read

‎Jimmy Hamilton‎

to

Leinster Premier Championship Club .

14 April at 11:28

I seen this letter this morning and it seems that not only here in Ireland and the UK but also in Holland and Belgium also the Peregrines are totally destroying our great sport . I wonder what would happen if the people who own the buildings that these artificial nest sites are being created for these peregrines so as to encourage them into areas that is after all not the peregrines natural habitat ,were made responsible for the damage that they are doing . Lets just say that I introduced a wolf into my garden what would happen if that wolf started to kill the farmers sheep ????? We all know that the farmer would shoot the wolf but would he also have the right to sue me for the damage done to his property ie his sheep . Now would it not be a good idea for the IHU and the RPRA were to employ a solicitor to see it it would be possible to make the owners of these property's responsible. Dont forget that they give permission to allow the erection of these artificial nest sites so they are agreeing and helping to get not only our racing pigeons torn apart but also our already declining number of small birds and wild fowl etc,. Surley this is worth looking into as after all the peregrine evolved to live on the high coastal cliffs and mountain cliffs and not in the middle of our towns and city's . K. de Groot

The Hague, 8 April 2019

Subject: Shockingly increased number of birds of prey in The Hague and surrounding neighborhoods and cities, making hobby doomed.

Dear Mrs. Koulen,

Underdone K. de Groot, born in The Hague, addresses this letter to you for the following reason: Since I was 8 e year to know The Hague tilduivensport a fantastic hobby. You will probably think: "That is great fun for this man" but nothing could be further from the truth.I am now 69 years old and would like my fellow hobbyists having fun with this hobby should be able to still enjoy? For a number of years, however , our hobby that has been included in your National Inventory since 2015 has been thoroughly ruined by the unbridled increase in birds of prey (the peregrine falcon) caused with the help of Dutch municipalities. Yes, government agencies that approve the installation of nesting boxes for the peregrine falcons throughout The Hague and its suburbs. A party of councilors is organized even if there is again placed anywhere a nest box with a webcam so that citizens can see (including me) how the prey apart being pulled.You have no idea what the gripped pigeon has for a horrible death.The bird of prey first picks the feathers out and then pulls the meat from the pigeon (which is still alive at that time).As a pigeon fancier from The Hague, I feel the pain that such a pigeon experiences.Our Tilduivensport sport has ended up on your National Inventory List for a reason.A very nice hobby that if it continues with the increase in birds of prey , will probably disappear within 5 years. Passing on this hobby to the younger generation is therefore doomed to fail as they also hear the stories of the birds of prey and would mind if their favorite pigeon were caught.There are already several people in my circle of acquaintances who have stopped because of the birds of prey because they could no longer see how various pigeons were taken from them and devoured.Tilt pigeons that they had bred with great pleasure and had raised with love.Our hobby is so much fun because you deal with live animals with which you get a kind of bond. They become so you can pet them and you get attached to the animals.For young people a lot more fun than just staring at those cell phones.Since the Netherlands has ratified the UNESCO Intangible Heritage Convention in 2009 and 2012 MFI government, as the g emeenteraad Hague and councils in other municipalities do remove the nest boxes on buildings and churches issued their license immediately. Also nesting boxes for birds of prey that have been placed without a permit from the municipality must also be removed by order of the municipal government.The motivation of the Bird Protection to protect the peregrine falcon from extinction has missed its goal.By placing the nest boxes the population has grown enormously, so that the natural balance is completely disrupted by human interference.The forest and meadow birds are also the victims. Their number has deteriorated dramatically. The Dutch pigeon fancier see the growth of peregrine falcons with sorrow and will therefore be relieved if existing nest boxes are removed and the placing of new nesting boxes forbidden word t .Maybe the tide can still be turned now, but then action will have to be taken.Through this letter I hope therefore that you mention want to make the UNESCO Commission and any action would take to alert the local authorities through the VNG on their responsibility to protect the Intangible Heritage.

Yours sincerely,

K the Great

• 3 months later...

Expletive remove wake up you lot, the hawks have killed the sport, its finished, end of. Everywhere is saturated with them and its our fault for rearing them up nicely with feeding them our beloved doos. Pointless talking about it because the doo game is full of idiots that wont do fk all to save it. I thought it had 3-5 years left, im wrong, its done now, believe me.

Remember a few who tried to put forward a decent regime regards the problem. First off, Bilco gave tremendous thoughts and ability in this regards. Said, and it would have been, the RSPB GETTING around the table... they certainly won't or need to now.

Several more too.

Even on here a few, and right well renowned fancier tried to form a body to make our position known.../ would cost about ~ JUST £10 per fancier donation if they so wanted. Would employ a 'Think Tank' and a voice for the media too. A penny a bird to the cause at club and Fed level!

Per usual it was so-call pigeon member who fought against it. Bemoaned and even wrote letters to the B.H.W. decrying it, and put forward reasons why 'THEY' didn't want as such... Plus much more reason/ideas spouted on here regularly!

Yet! Yet! yet unbelievably it was the very moaners regard their losses that were at the forefront denouncing a way forward. Alternatively, at least one where they support EVEN if not getting off the backsides to help!

You couldn't make it up!

Personally I would be only too pleased to feed them. Even embellish a nice flavour for them!

• Advert: Morray Firth One Loft Classic
  • Advert: M.A.C. Lofts Pigeon Products
  • Advert: RV Woodcraft
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders