When?

Roland

Change? The facts are as plain as the nose on our faces. The sport can not go on like this! Never mind apathy, never mind daren't speak out. The facts remains - for several reasons, not least encouraging new members - But how? Then just WHY! Used to be many reasons why the sport was a competitive hobby. Very cost effective in real term.

So some things we can't change, only alter our sails.

But the sad part is it IS up to you! You are the care takers of our sport!

Had a very good Email, which sums it up for starters.

I'll leave out the person name as it was sent to me. It is only one of many of the same ilk.

In part this is it in a nut shell!

'...………….. Hi Roland good to hear from you. Your posts are, as always, spot on. I have been canvasing our fed for major change, for as you say if you do the same every year, then you get same results or worse! I have plenty who, like me, want to see major changes. Changes like starting racing o/b's 2nd week - end in May. Fly out 12 race prog to be made up by a race committee. Then a 3 week break and fly a 7 week y/b prog distance no further than 110 miles to shortage club for education only.....'

Now I, personally, feel this is a good step to start off with.

Maybe, just maybe the time has come for a secret ballot!

Edited by Roland

Secret ballot (after thought by me ) not what was meant ,Postal vote on any changes to be made just for the fact very few turn up at AGM me included lucky if 30/40 out of entire membership turn up to decide on proposals we all non voters i am sure have their own reasons ,this or these threads have came from a post as you know of young bird losses and is it time for change IMO yes to what ,well my last post shows my train of thought .

Secret ballot (after thought by me ) not what was meant ,Postal vote on any changes to be made just for the fact very few turn up at AGM me included lucky if 30/40 out of entire membership turn up to decide on proposals we all non voters i am sure have their own reasons ,this or these threads have came from a post as you know of young bird losses and is it time for change IMO yes to what ,well my last post shows my train of thought .

Previously you suggested a limit on rings,what are your thoughts on that number

GRD, I have always liked the idea of starting races later ,and as for youngsters 6 short races fine and work out some system to charge for any lost expense incurred from flyers ( not popular ) but why should transporter in some races fail to break even.The whole thing is ye can quiz me as much as you like but at the end of the day you must have an opinion or ideas lets here from you but i have a feeling Rolands right you just want to pick holes my friend and add nothing constructive to the debate.

GRD, I have always liked the idea of starting races later ,and as for youngsters 6 short races fine and work out some system to charge for any lost expense incurred from flyers ( not popular ) but why should transporter in some races fail to break even.The whole thing is ye can quiz me as much as you like but at the end of the day you must have an opinion or ideas lets here from you but i have a feeling Rolands right you just want to pick holes my friend and add nothing constructive to the debate.

I give up,thought that was what debate is all about,

I think over the last 50 years of the fed the members have just about got it right ,because this is what those that have gotten off their arses and gone to the meetings have voted for.

Breaking news,just because someone does not agree with what you say does not mean they have nothing constructive to say

Young bird racing should start in May and fin8sh in July

Correct,get them some experience before Percy begins to teach their young to hunt

any age racing from mid May until end of season ,been doing it Belguim for year

Correct,get them some experience before Percy begins to teach their young to hunt

hows that going to work in with the old birds jim

they start april to get the distance into them for the national races

probably be about consett 170 miles mid may

or would you have 2 races a week 1 for old birds and 1 for any age

hows that going to work in with the old birds jim

they start april to get the distance into them for the national races

probably be about consett 170 miles mid may

or would you have 2 races a week 1 for old birds and 1 for any age

We have transporters in federations doing nowt most of June. Inland nats also

We have transporters in federations doing nowt most of June. Inland nats also

I know stevie

my point is that old birds are well down the road by mid may

to catch these inland nationals ,

so only 2 free weekends where transporter is not doing anything

so would need 2 races a week to accomidate the any age races as

by mid may 170 is too far to start y/bs

my thoughts were old birds on a Saturday any age on a Wednesday

liberated so that they would be returning home around 5pm/6pm

for the guys who work , if possible

so y not start old bird racing 2nd week in may race o/b prog have a 3 week break then y/bs after all club/fed racing got nothing todo with nats JMO

I think, honestly, that one and all should think about A. WHAT IS best for our pigeons. B. What is best for the sport and c. get into a brain gear of reasonable ability.

Forget about personal wants and likes for a moment! Forget about 'Racing at ANY COST! THE COST IS far to high on our birds for starters. the merest of facts that 'Some breed to lose' … 'To compensate losses' should tell one and all that something needs change. Yes of course time for that later.

the fact we hear more whinges and moans every season is 'SHOUTING NOW'! AT US.

I know stevie

my point is that old birds are well down the road by mid may

to catch these inland nationals ,

so only 2 free weekends where transporter is not doing anything

so would need 2 races a week to accomidate the any age races as

by mid may 170 is too far to start y/bs

my thoughts were old birds on a Saturday any age on a Wednesday

liberated so that they would be returning home around 5pm/6pm

for the guys who work , if possible

Early young bird races could be marked on Sunday morning for a Sunday afternoon race if the old birds were done and dusted saturday

In an organisation where I am a delegate, non-attendance at the AGM is taken to mean we are getting it right and no changes are required. I then look at posts on here and feel that view is not correct.

Apathy is killing our hobby.

People are allowed to hold office because others have no interest, or in some cases time, I do understand. Change is frowned upon because there is nobody present to suggest it or to support it.

Bear in mind, if you propose a change, you may have to effect that change and so to do will mean the use of your own time and effort. :)

A postal vote, doesn't negate a secret vote. Mind it would mean many would vote whom normally wouldn't vote. Also the nemesis of frighten to let certain ear ticklers and forceful one - wouldn't say bullies - would no longer be a problem.

Kyleakin Lofts a good post.'.. In an organisation where I am a delegate, non-attendance at the AGM is taken to mean we are getting it right and no changes are required. I then look at posts on here and feel that view is not correct.

Apathy is killing our hobby....'. Maybe the fact is that the powers to be now in nigh all pigeon committees have had it too much their way for too long … to the detriment of the sport and the pigeons. maybe they also need a kick up the jackseys and rude awakening. the old pals act and glebe talk is the major culprit of others apathy I believe.

A postal vote, doesn't negate a secret vote. Mind it would mean many would vote whom normally wouldn't vote. Also the nemesis of frighten to let certain ear ticklers and forceful one - wouldn't say bullies - would no longer be a problem.

Kyleakin Lofts a good post.'.. In an organisation where I am a delegate, non-attendance at the AGM is taken to mean we are getting it right and no changes are required. I then look at posts on here and feel that view is not correct.

Apathy is killing our hobby....'. Maybe the fact is that the powers to be now in nigh all pigeon committees have had it too much their way for too long … to the detriment of the sport and the pigeons. maybe they also need a kick up the jackseys and rude awakening. the old pals act and glebe talk is the major culprit of others apathy I believe.

good post Roland I aint bothered if its a postal vote I can hold my own either way I,ll vote the way I want unless its agreed at club to vote a certain way big changes need to be made before this game is gone that's for sure

Debate is about airing ones points of view ( I give up on this post to ) away to get birds ready

I will say whole heartedly philg50 that as far as I'm concerned and very many others in the sport … By far the vast majority, that you are one pigeon man through and through. One, I have no hesitation at all, in saying you want what is best for fanciers and 'THEIR PIGEONS'!'

Alas, and nothing detrimental intended, you feel, WHEN YOU see and hear as such from what's posted here today, like so many feel, think 'What is the use'? Their' force of argument, baseless as it is, takes affect! The thoughtless ragging is something that 90%, don't want, nor need, let alone have to put up with. Sadly apathy takes hold. They know better!

But blinkered they speak only of self interests, as harmful as it maybe.

I see now a post from DAL12 about starting youngsters of in 2nd week in May … when in reality nature says that they should be leaving the nest! More so the youngsters need and deserve more merit than to be carelessly wasted! Why does he, or anyone else, say such silly things in the wake of what is happening to our sport and the devastation happening NOW? Particularly for our stressed out youngsters! Yep, that's it! Add more stress! Now that's bound to do them the world of good. Yep empty transporters (TELLING the real story why they are empty!) can be used to batter them and our sport EVEN more! I should cocoa.

Be good to know as to the reasons - sensible one only, or ones that make sense, why thus innate thoughts aren't selfish and uncaring? Not only to the grass roots of the sport but even more so to our supposedly loved pigeons!

I know, 'I want to race as much as I can'! 'I never bought pigeons to be fair to them', 'I want them to race or be lost and nuts to any consequences'... Next it will be that the 'Transporter is idle and costing us money'! .. Not saving on fuel lol.

Edited by Roland