Pigeonbasics Forum: When? - Pigeonbasics Forum

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Roland 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 8,760
  • Joined: 8-July 06

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:58 AM

Change? The facts are as plain as the nose on our faces. The sport can not go on like this! Never mind apathy, never mind daren't speak out. The facts remains - for several reasons, not least encouraging new members - But how? Then just WHY! Used to be many reasons why the sport was a competitive hobby. Very cost effective in real term.
So some things we can't change, only alter our sails.
But the sad part is it IS up to you! You are the care takers of our sport!

Had a very good Email, which sums it up for starters.
I'll leave out the person name as it was sent to me. It is only one of many of the same ilk.
In part this is it in a nut shell!

'...………….. Hi Roland good to hear from you. Your posts are, as always, spot on. I have been canvasing our fed for major change, for as you say if you do the same every year, then you get same results or worse! I have plenty who, like me, want to see major changes. Changes like starting racing o/b's 2nd week - end in May. Fly out 12 race prog to be made up by a race committee. Then a 3 week break and fly a 7 week y/b prog distance no further than 110 miles to shortage club for education only.....'

Now I, personally, feel this is a good step to start off with.
Maybe, just maybe the time has come for a secret ballot!

This post has been edited by Roland: 17 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

Pigeons Interests ... before Fanciers ego's!

#2 User is offline   philg50 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,567
  • Joined: 29-March 13
  • LocationTurriff,Aberdeenshire
  • Club:deveron valley banff

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

Exactly just as i see it ,but as much chance of a secret ballot as hens having teeth .

#3 User is online   grdkeith 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,075
  • Joined: 15-March 08

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:14 AM

View Postphilg50, on 17 August 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

Exactly just as i see it ,but as much chance of a secret ballot as hens having teeth .



Phil
A ballot for what and why secretly?
all members are equal but some are more equal than others !!

#4 User is offline   philg50 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,567
  • Joined: 29-March 13
  • LocationTurriff,Aberdeenshire
  • Club:deveron valley banff

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

Secret ballot (after thought by me ) not what was meant ,Postal vote on any changes to be made just for the fact very few turn up at AGM me included lucky if 30/40 out of entire membership turn up to decide on proposals we all non voters i am sure have their own reasons ,this or these threads have came from a post as you know of young bird losses and is it time for change IMO yes to what ,well my last post shows my train of thought .

#5 User is online   grdkeith 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,075
  • Joined: 15-March 08

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:19 PM

View Postphilg50, on 17 August 2018 - 13:16 PM, said:

Secret ballot (after thought by me ) not what was meant ,Postal vote on any changes to be made just for the fact very few turn up at AGM me included lucky if 30/40 out of entire membership turn up to decide on proposals we all non voters i am sure have their own reasons ,this or these threads have came from a post as you know of young bird losses and is it time for change IMO yes to what ,well my last post shows my train of thought .


Previously you suggested a limit on rings,what are your thoughts on that number
all members are equal but some are more equal than others !!

#6 User is offline   philg50 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,567
  • Joined: 29-March 13
  • LocationTurriff,Aberdeenshire
  • Club:deveron valley banff

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:46 PM

GRD, I have always liked the idea of starting races later ,and as for youngsters 6 short races fine and work out some system to charge for any lost expense incurred from flyers ( not popular ) but why should transporter in some races fail to break even.The whole thing is ye can quiz me as much as you like but at the end of the day you must have an opinion or ideas lets here from you but i have a feeling Rolands right you just want to pick holes my friend and add nothing constructive to the debate.

#7 User is offline   philg50 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,567
  • Joined: 29-March 13
  • LocationTurriff,Aberdeenshire
  • Club:deveron valley banff

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

Ok GRD Limit on rings just a idea how about charge more for rings from the fed ,hows that for covering cost of transporter use ,still waiting for your ideas ,experience,and knowledge ,to kick in no thoughts ??

#8 User is online   grdkeith 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,075
  • Joined: 15-March 08

Posted 17 August 2018 - 14:06 PM

View Postphilg50, on 17 August 2018 - 13:46 PM, said:

GRD, I have always liked the idea of starting races later ,and as for youngsters 6 short races fine and work out some system to charge for any lost expense incurred from flyers ( not popular ) but why should transporter in some races fail to break even.The whole thing is ye can quiz me as much as you like but at the end of the day you must have an opinion or ideas lets here from you but i have a feeling Rolands right you just want to pick holes my friend and add nothing constructive to the debate.



I give up,thought that was what debate is all about,
I think over the last 50 years of the fed the members have just about got it right ,because this is what those that have gotten off their arses and gone to the meetings have voted for.
Breaking news,just because someone does not agree with what you say does not mean they have nothing constructive to say
all members are equal but some are more equal than others !!

#9 User is offline   dal2 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,052
  • Joined: 16-June 09
  • LocationEcclefechan, Scotland

Posted 17 August 2018 - 14:48 PM

Young bird racing should start in May and fin8sh in July

#10 User is offline   philg50 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,567
  • Joined: 29-March 13
  • LocationTurriff,Aberdeenshire
  • Club:deveron valley banff

Posted 17 August 2018 - 14:49 PM

Debate is about airing ones points of view ( I give up on this post to ) away to get birds ready

#11 User is offline   Novice 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: question and answers
  • Posts: 2,521
  • Joined: 16-April 08

Posted 17 August 2018 - 15:01 PM

View Postdal2, on 17 August 2018 - 14:48 PM, said:

Young bird racing should start in May and fin8sh in July

Correct!

#12 User is offline   Jumbo 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,317
  • Joined: 18-January 06
  • LocationKintore, Aberdeenshire
  • Club:Sunnybank & Inverurie

Posted 17 August 2018 - 15:13 PM

View Postdal2, on 17 August 2018 - 15:48 PM, said:

Young bird racing should start in May and fin8sh in July


Correct,get them some experience before Percy begins to teach their young to hunt

any age racing from mid May until end of season ,been doing it Belguim for year

#13 User is offline   DJWa 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,731
  • Joined: 2-March 10
  • LocationABERDEEN
  • Club:ABERDEEN FED

Posted 17 August 2018 - 15:22 PM

View PostJumbo, on 17 August 2018 - 16:13 PM, said:

Correct,get them some experience before Percy begins to teach their young to hunt

any age racing from mid May until end of season ,been doing it Belguim for year


hows that going to work in with the old birds jim

they start april to get the distance into them for the national races

probably be about consett 170 miles mid may

or would you have 2 races a week 1 for old birds and 1 for any age
keeping an eye on cem

#14 User is offline   dal2 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,052
  • Joined: 16-June 09
  • LocationEcclefechan, Scotland

Posted 17 August 2018 - 15:28 PM

View PostDJWa, on 17 August 2018 - 15:22 PM, said:

hows that going to work in with the old birds jim

they start april to get the distance into them for the national races

probably be about consett 170 miles mid may

or would you have 2 races a week 1 for old birds and 1 for any age

We have transporters in federations doing nowt most of June. Inland nats also

#15 User is offline   DJWa 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,731
  • Joined: 2-March 10
  • LocationABERDEEN
  • Club:ABERDEEN FED

Posted 17 August 2018 - 15:37 PM

View Postdal2, on 17 August 2018 - 16:28 PM, said:

We have transporters in federations doing nowt most of June. Inland nats also



I know stevie

my point is that old birds are well down the road by mid may
to catch these inland nationals ,
so only 2 free weekends where transporter is not doing anything

so would need 2 races a week to accomidate the any age races as
by mid may 170 is too far to start y/bs

my thoughts were old birds on a Saturday any age on a Wednesday
liberated so that they would be returning home around 5pm/6pm
for the guys who work , if possible
keeping an eye on cem

#16 User is offline   BLACK W F 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,303
  • Joined: 21-May 08

Posted 17 August 2018 - 15:43 PM

View PostJumbo, on 17 August 2018 - 16:13 PM, said:

Correct,get them some experience before Percy begins to teach their young to hunt

any age racing from mid May until end of season ,been doing it Belguim for year

so y not start old bird racing 2nd week in may race o/b prog have a 3 week break then y/bs after all club/fed racing got nothing todo with nats JMO
the truth is here not out there

#17 User is offline   Roland 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 8,760
  • Joined: 8-July 06

Posted 17 August 2018 - 16:08 PM

I think, honestly, that one and all should think about A. WHAT IS best for our pigeons. B. What is best for the sport and c. get into a brain gear of reasonable ability.
Forget about personal wants and likes for a moment! Forget about 'Racing at ANY COST! THE COST IS far to high on our birds for starters. the merest of facts that 'Some breed to lose' … 'To compensate losses' should tell one and all that something needs change. Yes of course time for that later.
the fact we hear more whinges and moans every season is 'SHOUTING NOW'! AT US.
Pigeons Interests ... before Fanciers ego's!

#18 User is offline   dal2 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,052
  • Joined: 16-June 09
  • LocationEcclefechan, Scotland

Posted 17 August 2018 - 16:09 PM

View PostDJWa, on 17 August 2018 - 15:37 PM, said:

I know stevie

my point is that old birds are well down the road by mid may
to catch these inland nationals ,
so only 2 free weekends where transporter is not doing anything

so would need 2 races a week to accomidate the any age races as
by mid may 170 is too far to start y/bs

my thoughts were old birds on a Saturday any age on a Wednesday
liberated so that they would be returning home around 5pm/6pm
for the guys who work , if possible

Early young bird races could be marked on Sunday morning for a Sunday afternoon race if the old birds were done and dusted saturday

#19 User is offline   Kyleakin Lofts 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 14,743
  • Joined: 16-June 09
  • LocationLugton
  • Club:Barrhead and Valley Clubs

Posted 17 August 2018 - 16:17 PM

View Postphilg50, on 17 August 2018 - 13:16 PM, said:

Secret ballot (after thought by me ) not what was meant ,Postal vote on any changes to be made just for the fact very few turn up at AGM me included lucky if 30/40 out of entire membership turn up to decide on proposals we all non voters i am sure have their own reasons ,this or these threads have came from a post as you know of young bird losses and is it time for change IMO yes to what ,well my last post shows my train of thought .


In an organisation where I am a delegate, non-attendance at the AGM is taken to mean we are getting it right and no changes are required. I then look at posts on here and feel that view is not correct.

Apathy is killing our hobby.

People are allowed to hold office because others have no interest, or in some cases time, I do understand. Change is frowned upon because there is nobody present to suggest it or to support it.

Bear in mind, if you propose a change, you may have to effect that change and so to do will mean the use of your own time and effort. :)
Andy

#20 User is offline   BLACK W F 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,303
  • Joined: 21-May 08

Posted 17 August 2018 - 16:24 PM

View Postphilg50, on 17 August 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

Exactly just as i see it ,but as much chance of a secret ballot as hens having teeth .

nothing wrong with a postal ballot
the truth is here not out there

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


  • Advert: Crafty Fifer: bespoke loft equipment
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders