#1 User is offline   arty whyte 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Locationmontrose. 01674672219
  • Club:montrose rpc

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

Hi all

Young bird losses are bad again this year has there been any studies regards low frecquency sound from wind turbines
If you look at a map of the UK you will be shocked by how many there are around and our bird have to navigate through them
During race days l am sure the boffins will say they are safe what's your thoughts cheers. Arty
artydoo

#2 User is offline   Dmurray 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationCoalburn
  • Club:coalburn

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

View Postarty whyte, on 14 August 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

Hi all

Young bird losses are bad again this year has there been any studies regards low frecquency sound from wind turbines
If you look at a map of the UK you will be shocked by how many there are aroundand our bird have to navigate through them
During race days l am sure the boffins will say they are safe what's your thoughts cheers. Arty

where I train and live is surrounded by them and I can honestly say they don't bother my birds 1 bit.
Davie murray

#3 User is online   THE FIFER 

• ADMIN
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationFIFE
  • Club:Leven HS

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

they are lined all the way along the south side of the Forth ,
THE FIFER (ADMIN)

forum@pigeonbasics.com

�� NOTICE

DELEGATES ARE MESSENGERS

#4 User is offline   philg50 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationTurriff,Aberdeenshire
  • Club:deveron valley banff

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

I think the biggest prob is the thundry weather ,the air full of changing magnetic forces and very low grey/black cloud this upsetting birds homing ability .

#5 User is offline   grdkeith 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

We go through the same angst every year for the first 3 or 4 races then it settles down once the poorly trained ,sick and stupid birds fall by the way
Problem being that they affect the flock until they are gone.
Windmills would be just another of many theories for losses imo
all members are equal but some are more equal than others !!

#6 User is offline   andy Burgess 

• TOP GUN
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin Team
  • LocationEast Lothian
  • Club:gladsmuir

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:57 AM

View PostDmurray, on 14 August 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

where I train and live is surrounded by them and I can honestly say they don't bother my birds 1 bit.

its the same here , and another few fields getting covered right now . its not the wind turbines in my opinion. problem regarding losses lies elsewhere :drinking-coffee-200:
"north wales novice" no longer .

#7 User is online   Froog 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Club:Mastrick

Posted 14 August 2018 - 14:17 PM

More likely to be the 1000s of mobile phone transmitters or receivers scattered everywhere over the UK

#8 User is offline   john cumming 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationbuckie, morayshire
  • Club:buckie & district rpc

Posted 14 August 2018 - 14:20 PM

Imo

There are dozens of theories and potential reasons for the losses, magntic fields, clashing of birds, weather conditions, poorly trained, unfit, and birds carrying ailments, and our old friends BOP the list goes on & on, for me some birds just dont have it in them, birds that are well trained and fit n healthy are better equiped to make it, but even then theres no guarintee, also the fancier has to accept part resposibility as he/she is the one training feeding and responsible for the birds welfare

John

John Cumming

#9 User is offline   Roland 

• High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2018 - 14:31 PM

View Postgrdkeith, on 14 August 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

We go through the same angst every year for the first 3 or 4 races then it settles down once the poorly trained ,sick and stupid birds fall by the way
Windmills would be just another of many theories for losses imo

I honestly can't believe these posts. Same old dribble of excuses every season. Most nonsensible.
Young birds ….it settles down once the poorly trained ,sick and stupid birds fall by the way Gosh. Young birds don't need training for starters. that's for the fancier only.
Agreed the fanciers have bred to the detrimental of the pigeon, both in constitution and homing ability. That's a fact!
But to assume, imply that OTHERS breed sick and stupid birds is certainly saying something. Yep quite a mouthful that!
many have success never training their birds EACH season. that's a fact … so why are we trying to blame fanciers that 'Poorly train' garbage.
Stupid Birds? Maybe they are not so stupid, and want away from a loft that is so far removed from their nature wants, desires and elements!

Training pigeons didn't start in earnest till mid 70's, and that by only about 60%.
'
talk about name and shame... who's name would be up there then who 'poorly trained ,sick and stupid birds'?
Oh I know, all those that only lose a few eh! Not the fanciers who lose week in and week out eh!

This post has been edited by Roland: 14 August 2018 - 14:34 PM

Pigeons Interests ... before Fanciers ego's!

#10 User is offline   grdkeith 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2018 - 15:05 PM

View PostRoland, on 14 August 2018 - 15:31 PM, said:

I honestly can't believe these posts. Same old dribble of excuses every season. Most nonsensible.
Young birds ….it settles down once the poorly trained ,sick and stupid birds fall by the way Gosh. Young birds don't need training for starters. that's for the fancier only.
Agreed the fanciers have bred to the detrimental of the pigeon, both in constitution and homing ability. That's a fact!
But to assume, imply that OTHERS breed sick and stupid birds is certainly saying something. Yep quite a mouthful that!
many have success never training their birds EACH season. that's a fact … so why are we trying to blame fanciers that 'Poorly train' garbage.
Stupid Birds? Maybe they are not so stupid, and want away from a loft that is so far removed from their nature wants, desires and elements!

Training pigeons didn't start in earnest till mid 70's, and that by only about 60%.
'
talk about name and shame... who's name would be up there then who 'poorly trained ,sick and stupid birds'?
Oh I know, all those that only lose a few eh! Not the fanciers who lose week in and week out eh!

Don't remember blaming anyone,I'm sure I have bred many stupid pigeons in my time ,and surely untrained pigeons come under the heading of poorly trained,hope i have never sent a sickly pigeon but I bet I have,given that I race control our fed and speak to our driver weekly ,he tells me how in the first few weeks he regularly has to Chase birds out the lorry it seems safe to assume they lack training or health of brains of all three

#11 User is offline   WulDon 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationKingsway Lofts, Dundee
  • Club:The incredible 'FRANS ZWOLS'

Posted 14 August 2018 - 15:42 PM

Biggest problem these days causing young bird losses is major health issues and the raptor problem...

Fanciers this year are losing young birds in great numbers every day of the week when they go training, nothing to do with wind turbines or atmospheric's or ABCD Factor or what ever crap its called...

#12 User is offline   Hillstreetblues48 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Club:None at the moment

Posted 14 August 2018 - 15:42 PM

I think it was round about the seventies that they were losing a great deal of young birds so they decided to race on a Friday,no hawks no wind turbines not a lot of mobile phones either ,they reckoned it was clashing,Lanarkshire had a great race recently on a friday

#13 User is offline   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 14 August 2018 - 15:47 PM

We live on top of wind turbines and have for years never been a problem in the past, this years losses are high could it be wind turbines I very much doubt it

#14 User is offline   Roland 

• High Ranking

Posted 14 August 2018 - 17:15 PM

' …………… then it settles down once the poorly trained, sick and stupid birds fall by the way
Well that's good, those that send sick, poorly trained youngsters aren't to blame then.

I have, like nigh all fancier, have still to meet, hear anyone admitting to that to be truthful … Mind hear it so very often I'm beginning to wonder just where and who they are.

Actually grdkeith I'm not picking you out personally, certainly not attacking, just stating that this silly nonsensible reasons are used.

This post has been edited by Roland: 14 August 2018 - 17:16 PM

#15 User is offline   grdkeith 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2018 - 17:21 PM

Sorry you've lost me

#16 User is online   THE FIFER 

• ADMIN
  • Icon
  • LocationFIFE

Posted 14 August 2018 - 17:24 PM

if you breed sixty to seventy young birds or more (as some do)and all were good and still there at the end of racing, what would you do with that amount of birds each year ?????//
THE FIFER (ADMIN)

forum@pigeonbasics.com

�� NOTICE

DELEGATES ARE MESSENGERS

#17 User is offline   philg50 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2018 - 17:47 PM

You will never have that problem Fifer about 8000 rings come out on our Fed each year and sare made to get 1600 doos on oor transporter .

#18 User is offline   Roland 

• High Ranking

Posted 14 August 2018 - 17:48 PM

View Postgrdkeith, on 14 August 2018 - 18:21 PM, said:

Sorry you've lost me

Ah I see where your pigeons get it from now lol :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

#19 User is online   THE FIFER 

• ADMIN
  • Icon
  • LocationFIFE

Posted 14 August 2018 - 17:59 PM

View Postphilg50, on 14 August 2018 - 18:47 PM, said:

You will never have that problem Fifer about 8000 rings come out on our Fed each year and sare made to get 1600 doos on oor transporter .

so why do they breed them, are they breeding for quality or quantity,
THE FIFER (ADMIN)

forum@pigeonbasics.com

�� NOTICE

DELEGATES ARE MESSENGERS

#20 User is offline   philg50 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2018 - 18:19 PM

View PostTHE FIFER, on 14 August 2018 - 17:59 PM, said:

so why do they breed them, are they breeding for quality or quantity,

God i canna answer that question but tae all the lads that never lose a doo and have full returns at end of race ask them ,because there is plenty of them gan about LOL ,aye and thats in all Feds.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

• Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders