The Joe Murphy Column 29/6/10

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

I received an email from Isaac Chute of Boston USA who wrote ‘Hi Joe, I sincerely hope this finds you in good health. Many years ago you got me connected with Jimmy White. I ended up getting married moving around the world and never got back into pigeons, although my dad did keep our family of birds until his passing last year in 2017. Whatever happened to Jimmy White and his bloodlines? I remember holding Sir Colin (National Winner) who was a horse of a bird 20 plus years ago. I'm contemplating going back into the birds here north of Boston USA and trying to figure out where to get old Scottish long distance blood from, yours Isaac. I contacted Barry Kinnear who kindly informed me that Jimmy does not keep the best of health and no longer had the pigeons. He did know that Jimmy keeps his interest through various web sites. He also gave me Jimmy’s phone number which I have passed on to Isaac. Who wrote back to me saying ‘Many thanks Joe I will give him a call, we used to chat a lot years back then but I lost contact when I started moving around the world. That said, I still remember holding Sir Colin, that I could barely hold in my hands I thought he was so big. Jimmy is a gentleman. I still remember him collecting me from a friend’s house in Herriot Row in Edinburgh and telling the lads in his club where he collected me from, I didn't realize it was such a posh address: as I'm just a working class boy from Cork in Ireland, now living in the US these past 20 years. I will definitely give him a call and reconnected after so many years. Many thanks for responding all the best, yours in sport Isaac’.

SNFC

I remarked about the birds being basketed on a Thursday for the Buckingham race which took place on the following Sunday when the weather forecast had predicted Saturday would be a hold over. I received a lot of support regarding my comments with many fanciers agreeing with me. Low and behold the Scottish national goes and does the same thing again for their 2nd race from Maidstone which guaranteed an 'extra day’ in the basket and many fanciers who have their main Channel candidates earmarked for this race withdrew them as they do not want them spending extra time in a transporter hence the reason they did not send. The national will wonder why the convoy is cut in HALF from last year race when we sent 6065 birds and this time only 3001 birds competed. Fanciers are not stupid and the welfare of their birds will always come first hence the reason for keeping their birds at home. Plus many fanciers have had enough of the poor decisions made by the club’s management. I had a couple of phone calls asking me if it was correct that Fife fanciers could not move their date from the Thursday to another day as they were tied down to the venue. This was a was a load of bull, Fife use a pigeon club the same as every other section in the national except section G which is held in Woodside Community Centre they only had 112 birds at the race so could have basketed them at a local pigeon club.There is a national web site and all you have to do it inform the membership that the race marking is changed to such and such a day. The outcome of these bad judgments is that quite a number of fanciers will be sending with the SNRPC to Billericay this weekend 23rd June. I have heard that full clubs in the Lothian’s are ALL going as are many fanciers north of the Tay. As I write this column on Wednesday the 20th June the weather forecast to Billericay. Believe me if this turns out to be a good race then this could have a dramatic effect on the Scottish National birdage in the upcoming races. Pentland Hill's federation are ALSO holding an open race this same day from Maidstone so this also enticed fanciers NOT to send their pigeon last week to Maidstone with the national. The national management committee need to get their heads together and look into what’s happening to their club as they are killing it, no one in their right mind nowadays can afford a drop of 3000 pigeon at one race. However the good side is the Maidstone race turned out to be an excellent race with some outstanding performances from the birdsand their fanciers.

Maidstone National

The father and son partnership of Sinclair Thomson & son (Sinclair) fromPort Seaton had a fantastic race winning 18 open prizes from their entry of 30birds they won the following OPEN positions; 1st 7th 25th 31st33rd 36th 56th 75th 78th147th 148th 1645th 165th 173rd 175th 199th & 244th open truly outstanding, well done to the Thomson family. Another fancier who had a ‘great race’ was Billy Bilsland of Ayton who won 9 open diplomas from his entry of 25 birds winning 3rd 10th14th 20th 26th 27th 83rd115th & 170th open well done Billy. The winner of 1stsection A 2nd open are Mr & Mrs Trodden of Gretna; with 1stsection C winning 4th open to Bruce McKenzie of Dundee; 1st section G (north section) flying 445 miles and winning 6th open is ordon Willox of Peterhead club he is also 4th section G 53rd open2 cracking pigeons as is the Aberdeen fancier J Cowie who won 2nd section G 18th open. Andrew Lees of Eyemouth won 5th& 15th open and only had 4 birds at the race. Davie Jamieson of East Calder wins 1st section D 48th open and 1st section E 129th open is Vic Couper (whom I wrote about last week regarding winning 8th section E 245th open from Buckingham and ning his 6th national diploma) with his wonderful pigeon Victorious Victor. Well I am delighted to tell you that was timed at 18-02 flying 379 miles to win 1st section E 129th open and wins over£1500 for his efforts. However the most important item is he has now gained his 7th national award and must rank as one of the top inland national birds in Scotland at the moment; well done to Victor who informs me that he hasnever had a bird like him in his life. 1st and 2nd section F is Derek Hay of Kirkintilloch with Morris Brothers of Johnstone (on the west side of Scotland) winning 1st 3rd5th & 16th section H well done to everyone who made the result.

‘Victorious Victor’ see text -

‘Victorious Victor’ see text - Copy.jpg

Billy Bilsland see text

Billy Bilsland see text.jpg

Dave Glen see text.

Dave Glen see text.jpg

David & Robert Morris see text.

David & Robert Morris see text.JPG

Derek Hay see text (1).

Derek Hay see text  (1).jpg

Stuart Maskem see text

Stuart Maskem see text.jpg

Race Results

Angus Federation result from Maidstone 1st 4th5th 9th & 10th is Davie Glen of Forfar who also wins 5th 11th 12th & 38th section C 22nd 35th 38th & 86th open in the SNFC. Club mate Ian Scott is 2nd 3rd 8th & 14th open and also wins 6th 7th & 60th section C 23rd 24th & 143rd open in the SNFC. Kenny Droog & son also from Forfar are 6th 7th & 17th open and win 19th & 20th section C 47th &50th open in the national. David J Liddle is 11th &13th open and wins 43rd & 50th section C 108th & 122nd open in the SNFC with Charlie &Glen Cameron of Arbroath club in 12th 16th & 19th open and in the national wins 45th section C 111th open.D & D Hay of Gourdon club are 15th open federation with Arbroath Kevin J Murphy making up the top 20th place in the federation.

East section winners are as follows; 1st 3rd& 4th Charlie & Glen Cameron of Arbroath club with D & D Hay of Gourdon in 2nd place. Kevin J Murphy is 5th with Les McKay in 6th place Eddie Mann of Gourdon is 7th followed by Montrose member G Campbell in 8th place with M Wallace& son of the same club in 9th spot. Chic and Ann Carrie of Arbroath club makes the top 10.

Club winners are as follows; Forfar 79 birds winner Davie Glen;Montrose winner G Campbell; Gourdon 7 birds winner D & D Hay; Arbroath 26birds winner C & G Cameron.

Arbroath Racing Pigeon Club from the Maidstone race held on the 17th June the convoy were liberated at 09-15am liberated in a light south-west wind with 4 members sending 26 birds and the federation had an entry of 586 birds. Charlie and Glen Cameron had a great race taking the 1st x 3 in the club their winner is a 2 year old hen who was 190th open SNFC Buckingham 2weeks previous, the week previous to this she won 2nd club from Ridsdale. This is her 3rd national award and she is a granddaughter of Little Dorrie winner of 3rd SNFC Reims and is also a granddaughter of Castres of Leon Messia having scored in the previous national. He is a grandson of Serendipity 3 timesin the 1st x 20 open in SNFC races; he also contains the bloodlines of little Dorrie and Castres as above. The 3rd club is a 2 year old blue cock inbred to the Castres of Leon Messiaen. Being from a son of Castres when paired to a granddaughter; his dam flew the channel 4 times up to a 2 yearold for Glen in Aberdeen including scoring from Alencon. She is nest mate to Prada 1st North Section winner. Well done to the lads on another outstanding achievement Kevin & Joe M.

Almond Valley Federation

News from Lynne Stewart who informs us of the Catterick race flown on the 17th June with 845 birds entered by the members; taking the first 4 places plus 20th open is Dougie Bald of Balerno club with Freddie Jamieson & son of East Calderin 5th place. Ian Jamieson of Balerno is 6th 10th& 17th open with S Fleming of Armadale club in 7th 8th 9th 15th & 16th open. John Hadfield of Armadale is 11th 12th 13th & 14thopen with Colin Ross of Balerno in 18th place followed by John Bird of West Calder club.

Armadale 182 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rdS Fleming 4th J Hadfield

Balerno 205 birds; 1st2nd 3rd & 4th D Bald

Carnwath 78 birds; 1st& 2nd D Hamilton & Son 3rd B Campbell 4thD Hamilton & Son

East Calder 98 birds; 1st2nd & 4th F Jamieson & Son 3rd J MYoung

Forth & Clyde180birds; 1st Law & Brady 2nd R Buchanan 3rd& 4th I McLelland

West Calder 102 birds; 1st2nd 3rd & 4th J Bird

East of ScotlandFederation

John Baillie send sends in the result from the Riponrace; the birds were released at 06-30 into a south wind and a fast race wasanticipated. Leading the field this week is Graham Wardhaugh of Dirleton whotakes the 1st 2nd & 3rd open positions.John Bird of Prestonpans is in 4th & 9th positions with Tom& Scott McEwen of Elphinstone in 5th & 10th open.Jim McNeil of Tranent takes 6th open with Tam Hunnam of Port Setonin 7th place with Davy Gillan fills the number 8th spot.

Prestonpans HC - winning this week is John Bird with ayearling blue hen from Brian Shipley’s of Woodside Lofts Vandenabeele’s. Thesire is a grandson of Shadow/Golden Gaby and the dam is a granddaughter ofTC/Eisenhower. In 2nd place are Tom & Scott McEwen with the sire ofthis yearling cock being inbred to the Gypsy of Paul Stobbs and the dam is bredby Mark Gilbert which is inbred to Euro Diamond. In 3rd position isTam Hunnam with a Braspenning blue cock.

Returns were good Joe that's better than we could say from the SNFC MaidstoneNational. When reading the clocks on Sunday nightmost fanciers had over 50% still to come. There was some exceptional teamperformances especially from the Sinclair Thomson partnership of Port Seton andBilly Bilsland of Ayton who both had the majority home and in the clock,probably taking the majority of section B prizes between them, superb flying byboth lofts. Hopefully many more birds have worked home on the Monday. That’s itfor another week Joe wishing you and Kevin all the best for the Gold Cup raceyours John B’.

Fife Federation

News from Geordie Todd with the Maidstone open raceflown in conjunction with the SNFC there were 624 birds entered by the members.First open and 1st east section is Bert Cochrane of St Andrews clubwith club mate D Baldie in 2nd place. Jim Mackie of Leven club is 3rdin both section and open with Methilhaven Jim & Gary Peggie in 4thplace. 1st centre section and 5th open are Turpie &McCord of Glenrothes club with Kennoway’s Brian Chalmers in 5th& 6th east section 6th & 10th open.Bob Wilson of Glenrothes club is 1st west section 7thopen with Brian Kinnear of Glenrothes in 2nd centre section 8thopen he is followed by club mate Dean Bridges in 3rd section 9thopen. 2nd 3rd & 5th west section 11th12th & 23rd open is S Donaldson of Perth club withhis club mate G Anderson in 4th west section 13th open

Pentland Hills Federation had 14 clubssending 1579 birds to Ripon on Saturday 16th June with the convoyliberated at 06-30 am. F Robertson of Danderhall club took the first 5 birds inthe race and he was also 8th open. Danderhall’s Helen Aitken &sons are 6th with Woodburn’s Brown & Black in 7th& 10th spot. G Verth of Danderhall is in 9th open.

Club Winners are as follows;

Danderhall 399 birds; 1st2nd & 3rd F Robertson

Woodburn 105 birds; 1st& 2nd Brown & Black 3rd Allen

Arniston 126 birds; 1st2nd & 3rd W Pryde & son

Edinburgh Premier 105 birds; 1st& 3rd Gilchrist 2nd Dick

Sighthill 97 birds; 1st& 3rd Girdwood 2nd Miller

Easthouses 137 birds; 1st& 2nd Sanderson 3rd Thomas

Loanhead 90 birds; 1st2nd & 3rd Murray

Bonnyrigg 133 birds; 1stSmith 2nd & 3rd Stark

Rosewell 40 birds; 1st& 2nd Mackie 3rd Gibson

Castlebrae 84 birds; 1st& 3rd A Mitchell 2nd L Mitchell

Edinburgh West 70 birds; 1st2nd & 3rd Lamb

Peebles 22 birds;

Traprain 130 birds; 1st& 2nd Newcombe & Black 3rd Bosworth

New Lothian 41 birds;

The NewLothian RPC

Along with the Pentland Hills Federation had their 9th race of the 2018 season which was the comeback race from Ripon. 48 lofts sent 864 birds and race controller Bobby Graham had the birds away early with a 06-30 liberation into a south west wind as the weather was to close in mid morning.Again the correct decision as the birds fell in with most having all their birds’home by clock checking within the hour before the rain came on. Winning 1st New Lothian and 1st open federation is a novice fancier in his 2nd season racing, this being Freddie ‘Niddrie’ Robertson who took the first 5 positions with his team of Premier Stud Heremans Ceusters flying widowhood he is also 8th open. A tremendous performance even if the wind did suit the east side of the fed! (LOL) The winner won £243 for his efforts with thetotal winnings for the 6 birds coming to £460 well done!!! 6th place goes to Helen Aitken & sons of Danderhall with Woodburn’s Brown & Blackin 7th & 10th spot. G Verth of Danderhall is in 9th open.

North of Scotland Federation

News from George Duthie who writes ‘We had 53members sending 500 birds broken down as follows East Section 29 members sent320 birds with the West Section having 24 members sending 180 birds. The convoywas liberated into a light south west wind with high broken cloud. Taking thefirst 2 birds in the east section and open is Stuart Maskame of Peterhead &District with the winner doing a velocity of 1395. Chris Donaldson of the sameclub is 3rd & 14th east section 3rd &19th open. J S Robertson of theInverurie club in 4th 5th & 15th westsection 4th 5th & 20th open. Fulton &Ritchie of Devern Valley club are 1st 4th & 5thwest section 6th 14th & 17th open with thefather and son partnership of Eric & Nicky Yule of Inverurie club in 6th& 13th east section 7th & 18th open. RHiggins of Fraserburgh West End club is 7th 9th & 10theast section 8th 10th & 11th open. ColinMcCrae of Fraserburgh & District is 8th 11th & 12theast section 9th 15th & 16th open. DStevens of Buckie & District club is 2nd west section 12thopen. A J Reid of Keith club is 3rd west section 13thopen A Milne of Devern Valley club is 6th & 99th westsection 21st & 29th open. G R Duncan of Keith club is7th west section 24th open with A Wilson of Devern Valleyclub in 8th west section 28th open. 31 10 R Richards of Elgin & District is10th west section 31st open. Well done to Stuart Maskame on topping thefederation and also congratulations to Fulton and Ritchie of winning the westsection.

Joe’s Joke

Grandma's boyfriend

A 5-year-old boy went to visit his grandmother one day. Playing with his toys in her bedroom while grandma was dusting, he looked up and said, 'Grandma, how come you don't have a boyfriend now that Grandpa went to heaven?' Grandma replied, 'Honey, my TV is my boyfriend. I can sit in my bedroom and watch it all day long. The religious programs make me feel good and the comedies make me laugh... I'm happy with my TV as my boyfriend.' Grandma turned on the TV, and the reception was terrible. She started adjusting the knobs, trying to get the picture in focus. Frustrated, she started hitting the backside of the TV hoping to fix the problem. The little boy heard the doorbell ring, so he hurried to open the door and there stood Grandma's minister. The minister said, 'Hello son is your Grandma home?' The little boy replied, 'Yeah, she's in the bedroom hitting her boyfriend backside.'

Please continue to keep the news flowing;to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY14BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLEor log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.ukand www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Whowish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy