This Weeks High Teperatures

sapper756

Well I'd soak rice in water over night to feed them with that … and Groats... Also, personally. I'd keep Electrolytes in any strength away from them. Can't see how drying them out/ dehydrate them more helps!

May squirt a little lemon juice on their' feed, if a distance race / or hard race envisaged...

My loft is always naturally cool in summer, and warm in winter. Before I used to use hessian sacks on roofs and well water. Would keep them cool.

Edited by Roland

Electrolyte is a "medical/scientific" term for salts, specifically ions. The term electrolyte means that this ion is electrically-charged and moves to either a negative (cathode) or positive (anode) electrode:

ions that move to the cathode (cations) are positively charged

ions that move to the anode (anions) are negatively charged. Of course we know which is which and what is what eh!

For example, your body fluids -- blood, plasma, interstitial fluid (fluid between cells) -- are like seawater and have a high concentration of sodium chloride (table salt, or NaCl). The electrolytes in sodium chloride are: Electrolyte is a "medical/scientific" term for salts, specifically ions. The term electrolyte means that this ion is electrically-charged and moves to either a negative (cathode) or positive (anode) electrode:

ions that move to the cathode (cations) are positively charged

ions that move to the anode (anions) are negatively charged

For example, your body fluids -- blood, plasma, interstitial fluid (fluid between cells) -- are like seawater and have a high concentration of sodium chloride (table salt, or NaCl). The electrolytes in sodium chloride are: Electrolyte is a "medical/scientific" term for salts, specifically ions. The term electrolyte means that this ion is electrically-charged and moves to either a negative (cathode) or positive (anode) electrode:

Another example where electrolyte drinks are important is when infants/children have chronic vomiting or diarrhea, perhaps due to intestinal flu viruses. When children vomit or have diarrhea, they lose electrolytes. Again, these electrolytes and the fluids must be replaced to prevent dehydration and seizures. Therefore, drinks such as Pedialyte have sodium and potassium in them like the sports drinks do.

However, pediatricians do not recommend giving sports drinks to a sick child! Sports drinks have much higher sugar concentrations than Pedialyte and the high sugar is not a proper treatment. Yet many will spend good money to give an already ill / tired, dehydrated pigeon, most likely suffering from Toxics after a hard race etc.

Before! Why. Surely the pigeon is in as fine racing condition any way … or why send it!

All sports drinks are no more than Sugar and camaflaged! Whatever maybe added to them. Of course whatever is added has no bearing on the coffee other than for Taste and P.R.

Any one with a little knowledge KNOWS salt makes on thirsty!

Edited by Roland

Well I'd soak rice in water over night to feed them with that … and Groats... Also, personally. I'd keep Electrolytes in any strength away from them. Can't see how drying them out/ dehydrate them more helps!

May squirt a little lemon juice on their' feed, if a distance race / or hard race envisaged...

My loft is always naturally cool in summer, and warm in winter. Before I used to use hessian sacks on roofs and well water. Would keep them cool.

Roland what about giving them an ice lolly lol

Roland what about giving them an ice lolly lol

Many used to give a cattle salt lick. Mind that was for Minerals.

Some truth in your jest actually Hillstreetblues48.

I have seen that 'Ice Lolly' being eaten by the pigeons on very many occasions mate. But then I doubt you would know why and how :P:emoticon-0138-thinking:

Edited by Roland

When you sweat, you lose salt. Pigeons don't sweat. I don't know how much salt they lose when they pant though. :)

Thank you Kyleakin Lofts. I was going to look up as such this morning - afternoon actually as I read this, also had a class Avian Medic and a National flyer explain why they wouldn't entertain the Idea of Electrolytes and certainly don't use them..

Edited by Roland

So basically what you are saying electrolytes are a waste of time ?

I'm not qualified to state that Lindsay. All I stated was that pigeons don't sweat. They cool down by panting and fluffing their feathers, etc. In the cold they trap warm air in the feathers and in the warm they fluff out their feathers to allow heat to escape. When they pant, they will lose moisture. Whether this moisture contains salts, I do not know.

This knowledge I gleaned from reading. Whether it is fact or not, I do not know, however, I'm sure it came from respected fanciers and vets. :)

Personally I can't see how it can help in the least. Many a good fancier smile when talking electrolytes.

P.R says much true. But then they are making money. True some good names recommend electrolytes … but then are they being paid!

Over the years I have listened quite a lot to many different views and people.

First question 'Is there any gain in what they are actually saying'? Secondarily 'Do they actually know the merits or not, them selves... and do they understand or are they having their ears tickled,'? Thirdly 'If there was no money involved in selling / buying would it be an proven asset'?

Then the most important being of all 'does it make actual sense... or not'.

Many Roads Greenlands eh. I'd also say one has to do what one thinks / knows, works for them. In life's experiences much can work that shouldn't, or we don't how, or why it does.

For example I was in Canada for a few weeks in 2005. I was a guest and stay for one week with a good fancier. We looked over the birds as one does etc. He handed me a pigeon that was light and not displaying vigour etc.

says he to me 'Can't seem to get this hen back in good health. Tried all sorts and much more if truth be known. Has been a good one too, and she's only three, so I am disappointed' etc.

I recalled similar saying from a very good knowledgeable fancier back home here. Indeed had tried it twice to good effect.

So I said 'You hold her with the tail pointing to me'.

'Why, what are you going to do'? he asked a mite bemused, if not worried lol.

'I will pull out the two end feathers. The two right on the outside'. Only one feather each side of course.'.

Well he looked suprised and a bit off saying 'What good will that do'?

'Don't know' says I ' But very often it will put her back on song in no time'.

After a few moments of pauses he said 'Ok'. so did. I pulled out the two outside tail feathers.

This was in October / November.

Back home a few weeks later we spoke like on the net.

'What did you do' say he to me regards that hen.

I don't know what, or why I did it... but it usually works. What were the results'?

'Like I said before she picked up nigh instantly, and is now as good as ever'.

Ok the question arises 'Why'? A rare accasion here where there seems to be no answer to Why which can only be normally be 'Because'!

Never found the answer... But seen many atime it working.

Electrolytes. As said above, pigeons do not sweat - so where is the loss of the electrolytes, that have to be replaced, supposed to come from? It is stated that sodium and other salts are excreted when bound to lactic acid and that the lactic acid forms when the pigeons do anaerobic exercise (exercise in the absence of oxygen). It is my contention that racing pigeons do not do anaerobic exercise and therefore conserve their' salts.

Now to the current dispute about electrolytes. Unless a pigeon is losing them in some form, maybe with enteritis or when the kidneys have been damaged by PMV, there is NO indication for using them. I think that the current great hullabaloo was created by drug companies and merchants who marketed the electrolytes for use by horses and humans (when they sweat) and for all other animals when they vomit, have diarrhea and so on. In these cases the marketing is fully justified and use of the medicines absolutely essential etc. But not for healthy pigeons.

Above words are from Dr. Wim Peters.

Electrolytes. As said above, pigeons do not sweat - so where is the loss of the electrolytes, that have to be replaced, supposed to come from? It is stated that sodium and other salts are excreted when bound to lactic acid and that the lactic acid forms when the pigeons do anaerobic exercise (exercise in the absence of oxygen). It is my contention that racing pigeons do not do anaerobic exercise and therefore conserve their' salts.

Now to the current dispute about electrolytes. Unless a pigeon is losing them in some form, maybe with enteritis or when the kidneys have been damaged by PMV, there is NO indication for using them. I think that the current great hullabaloo was created by drug companies and merchants who marketed the electrolytes for use by horses and humans (when they sweat) and for all other animals when they vomit, have diarrhea and so on. In these cases the marketing is fully justified and use of the medicines absolutely essential etc. But not for healthy pigeons.

Above words are from Dr. Wim Peters.

"Fit to Win", knew I had read it somewhere. :)

Scientific answer about flying in the heat:

Total heat load = environmental temperature + body temperature + UV thermal Load

If you change any one of these variables you change the total metabolic rate of the bird which corresponds to high energy demand and there by higher consumption of minerals, fat, and other vitamins.

So giving Electrolytes Before? The week prior to the race :blink:

After the race the question again beggers 'Why'! :huh:

Colin Walker states:

The two most common diseases that lead to excessive thirst during racing are; wet canker and respiratory infection causing inflamed air sacs. With wet canker the trichomonad organisms produce a toxin that makes the birds thirsty, while when the air sacs become inflamed they lose their moisture conserving ability and the birds lose excessive moisture in the exhaled air. When correcting the ensuing dehydration they often over-compensate and drink excessively. As you say however, there may be concern that the conveyers are not watering and feeding the birds adequately. Experiments have shown that pigeons deprived of water for 24 hours at 25C become 5% dehydrated. Given the high body temperature of pigeons(41.7C) and the number put in race baskets, the temperature within the basket can get much higher, even on cold days particularly if the race basket is poorly ventilated. Birds released that are only slightly dehydrated can be expected to orientate poorly and take longer to recover. In Australia water is continuously available even when the birds are being basketed except when the transporter is actually moving. I hope these short notes are a help.

Regards,

Dr. Colin Walker.

Edited by Roland