Old Faithful

REDCHEQHEN

We have an old cock bird - he's 17 now and not settled here, he was my husband's pride and joy with 6 x 1st's - the majority from Melton Mowbray - and has the nickname 'Pork Pie', when he was 2 years old he was stolen - and returned to the loft minus his life ring. He was in the stock loft - but no longer filling eggs he was put in the geriatric wing where the other retired cocks are (they're only 13 years old though :emoticon-0136-giggle: ) they fly out every day - so he had to be put in a basket every time they went out. But he has been getting picked on and for the last week has been kept in a box in the shed - it's a widowhood box - not a cardboard box! He looks his age, he really does look old and decrepid, he has arthritis, struggles to get to a perch etc! The 13 year olds are the picture of health and look 10 years younger - probably because they exercise regularly

We have a 14 year old hen - and several 11 year olds, are we too sentimental?

We have an old cock bird - he's 17 now and not settled here, he was my husband's pride and joy with 6 x 1st's - the majority from Melton Mowbray - and has the nickname 'Pork Pie', when he was 2 years old he was stolen - and returned to the loft minus his life ring. He was in the stock loft - but no longer filling eggs he was put in the geriatric wing where the other retired cocks are (they're only 13 years old though :emoticon-0136-giggle: ) they fly out every day - so he had to be put in a basket every time they went out. But he has been getting picked on and for the last week has been kept in a box in the shed - it's a widowhood box - not a cardboard box! He looks his age, he really does look old and decrepid, he has arthritis, struggles to get to a perch etc! The 13 year olds are the picture of health and look 10 years younger - probably because they exercise regularly

We have a 14 year old hen - and several 11 year olds, are we too sentimental?

Yes but so am I.I also have a 17 yo cock,14 yo hen,2 10 yos,2 9 yos, 2 8 yos,which take up space, but I am getting on a bit myself and wouldn't like my neck twisted. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

once related a story on here how I cried, several times when a fantastic clever Labrador *expletive removed* I owned. So sad when got Cancer of the brain.

She lost all doggy sense, though could still actively response to commands.

Third time at vets he said 'Well we can keep him going another 2 years or so ….'. Why. She had no empathy of a good life and I suffered with my empathy for her. In all honesty, I decided it would be cruel, even with best intentions merited and selfish to keep her like that! With no quality of life. Step Daughter had to take her … I have a great painting of her, and her 12 years later I still miss her, but I remember the great times and enjoyment I, and I'm sure she had too. Yes obviously she would have been gone a long while back now, but I miss her, and am more than glad I did the right thing by her. Yes and what she deserved … suffering ended.

There, I have tears in my eyes again … But a warm feeling inside.

Edited by Roland