The Joe Murphy Column,18/5/18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

I have not hada good week with, heat stroke, a urine infection and then an infection in mythroat, to tell you the truth I feel terrible. I've been back to the doctors twiceand he has told me that I have to still keep taking the antibiotics and to keepdrinking plenty of water. I was up every hour during the night and we have towash our bedding every day the water is just running out of me. I have also hadthe ‘shakes’ and sometimes these can last up to one and a half hours. I have nevereaten but I'm not worried about that it is the burning feeling trying to passurine that is the problem.

Last week’s photo; I had a reply from John Baillie and Margaret and I had the same opinion that it could be our old from Crew Road North in Edinburgh.John B wrote ‘Joe I'm sure that could be Jim Smeaton in the back of the photo with young Andy’ and I think you are right John cheers

Lost Pigeon; I put a notice in informing fancier that John McNeil of Broxburn had a stray bird enter his loft. John wrote; ‘Hi Joe thank you for putting the information in your article page about the pigeon that came into my loft nobody has claimed it so all I can say is we tried to get it back to owner all the best for the racing season. Kindest regards John McNeill

Results

Noresult from Angus federation as one club has not forwarded in their club result. This was no fault of the federation secretary so will have to go in ata later date. Now for the results of the Tow Law race.

Arbroath RPC had 6 members sending 161 birds to Tow Law;taking the 1st, 2nd & 3rd places is the father and son partnership of Charlie & Glen Cameron. The first pigeon is a dark chequer hen raced roundabout. Sire contains the bloodlines of Keith Bush,Leon Messiaen and Little Dorrie winner of 3rd open SNFC Reims, the dam is a granddaughter of the ‘Perpignan’ of Leon Messiaen when paired to agrand daughter of Aurora of Schreurs-Hauben the Primes inter Paris winnerof 2010 which is for the best Barcelona pigeon over 5 years. Second in the clock is a yearling son of Prada winner of 1st & 2nd North Section SNFC paired to a daughter of Leon Messiaen’s St Vincent who was the 8th best Belgian pigeon over 3 international flights in 2013 and the 9th best in 2014. Prada is a Leon Messiaen and Martin Ravelingien blood. Third in the clock is a yearling grandson of Prada, Little Dorrie and Bobby winner of 2 x 1st North Section SNFC wins. Bobby is from a Martin Ravelingien pigeon crossed Euro Diamond bloodlines. This yearling from the first three races has recorded a 1st, 2nd and now 3rdclub. Well done to Charlie and Glen.

Ayrshire Federation

From the 2nd race from Kelso flown on the 28th April 2018 Archie has attached 2 photographs of the 1st & 2nd Federation winning pigeons. Also man thanks again Joe for you continual support. From Kelso; we have not been at this race point now for a number of years and after this race, the feedback Iam hearing, it turned out to be a very good race with excellent returns for most fanciers throughout the fed. Jim had the birds up and away at 10:15 into alight east to north east wind for a race of between 76 to 94 miles; to the top end of the Federation. Reports from the liberation site were the convoy of2,065 birds cleared the site well. Leading the way in to the Federation this week with an outstanding team performance is Andy Barbour of West Kilbride flying in Dalry HS. Andy’s team of pigeons certainly put up a team performance to record, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th,11th 12th, 14th,15th and 18th federation with the leading three pigeons doing 1649.1,1649.1 and 1648.9. Andy timed his first 8 pigeons in 3 seconds. The federation winner wasa yearling blue bar Koopman Hen. This roundabout hen is bred down from one of Andy’s direct Galaxy Loft Koopman cocks when paired to a hen bred down from a Galaxy x Direct Koopman. This yearling hen has only had 4 races so far in her career, 2 as a young bird and 2 so far a yearling. In her short racing career this hen has won, 11th club 253 birds and 17th fed 1,682 birds,9th club 344 birds and 16th fed 1,643 birds, 8th club 401 birds, 1st x 3 bird club and 10th fed 1,773 birds and now adds 1st club 405 birds, 1st x 3 bird club & 1stfed 2,065 birds to her CV. (See her photograph in the column) 2nd federation for Andy is a 4 year old blue bar W/F Vandenabeele roundabout hen. Her sire was purchased at Darren Peter’ auction at Blackpool and is a son of the famous ‘James Bond’; the dam is daughter of a half-brother to ‘James Bond’ 3rd federation is a blue chequer yearling Hardy Kruger roundabout cock. Some of the best of Hardy Kruger bloodlines can be found in this pigeon’s pedigree. Black Sky; Jessica; Bacardy; Latizia; DaVinci as well as Black Power; The lines of Da Vinci have done well in the past for Andy from some of the One Loft Races entered.

First Fed Kelso

1st Fed Kelso 224.jpg

2nd fed Kelso

2nd fed kelso.png

Another of Brown & Black's Federation Winners

Another of Brown & Black's Federation Winners.jpg

Janet & Bert Walace on their Golden Wedding Day,(see tex)

Janet & Bert Wallace on their Golden Wedding Day  (see text).jpg

North Section 875 birds; 1st, 2nd & 3rd Andy Barbour (Dalry HS) 1649.1, 1649.1 and 1648.9 Central Section 481 birds; 1st Hugh Wallace (Darvel HS)1525.0 2nd & 3rd Harvey Pollock (Irvine HS) 1513.0 and 1512.5. South Section 709 birds; 1st B Lenachan (Annbank &District) 1582.7; 2nd W & C Gemmell (Whitletts & District)1576.2; 3rd Boyd Bros (Whitletts & District) 1574.7

Almond Valley Federation

News from secretar Lynne Stewart who writes; From Catterick on 5th May the convoy of1675 birds were liberated at 07-45am, Dougie Bald of Balerno club is 1st 2nd 7th & 9t open. With Colin Ross of the same club in 3rd & 18t open Federation President John Bird from West Calder club is 4th 5th 8th 10th & 11th open. J Burnside of Armadale is 6th with club mated S Fleming in 12th spot. Freddie Jamieson & son of East Calder are 13th 17th & 19th open with Jimmy Young of the same club in 16th spot. Colin Ross of Balerno is in 18th open place with Vic Couper of Forth & Clyde making up the top 20 positions.

Club winnersare as follows;

Armadale 476birds; J Burnside 1385.854, S Fleming 1361.187, J Clark 1351.878, S Fleming1331.896

Balerno 272birds; D Bald 1413.811, 1412.594, C Ross 1393.060, D Bald 1368.299

Carnwath 200birds; Thomson Bros 1138.824, 1113.624, 1111.675, D Hamilton & Son 1081.939

East Calder 212birds; F Jamieson & Son 1359.902, 1351.254, J M Young 1350.094, F Jamieson& Son 1347.581

Forth &Clyde 316 birds; V Couper 1336.349, 1324.645, Mr Mrs Conlin 1324.020, J Loney1315.126

West Calder 199birds; J Bird 1390.259, 1389.977, 1373.228, 1366.641

Balerno newsfrom Colin Bain with the Catterick result flown on Saturday 5th Maywith 8 members sending 272 birds; liberated at 07-45 hours into south west wind1st two places are won by Douglas Bald and as you will see above wonthe same positions in the open federation. The 1st bird is a 2 yearold blue cock sire bought at S Young’s sale and is Ellis bloodlines. Dam boughtat SHU show R J Aallemeestch Turtling agent this Belge rung pigeon was doing avelocity of 1413. The 2nd pigeon was a 2 two year old blue hen Chainbridgeblood lines Vandenabeele not mated flown spare doing 1412. Third is Colin Ross witha 4 year old chequer hen on roundabout doing a velocity of 1393. Dougie is 4thwith a 3 year old grizzle cock on 1374; that’s it for this week Joe best wishesColin Bain.

Fife Federation of Homing Pigeon Societies;

From the Sedgefield race flown on 5th May 2376 birds were liberated at 08-45am into a light south west wind.

The top ten in the federation are the same as the East Section top 10 winners. Birdage in the east section club as follows; St Andrews 135; Leven 205; Methilhaven 166; Kennoway 256; Tayport 84.

Brian Chalmers of Kennoway is 1st & 5th open with 2 birds on 1537 & 1532. Tam Laing of the same club is 2nd 3rd & 4th with Leven’s Clark Clark & Page are in 6th place. D Baldie of St Andrews club takes the next 4 positions.

Centre Section top 10; birdage Glenrothes 239; Novar 226; First place goes to Sean Diamond of Kennoway club with Turpie & McCord of Glenrothes & Leslie club in 2nd & 10th positions; Brian Kinnear of the same club is 3rd 7th 8th & 9th ; with Dean Bridges of the same club in 4th & 5th spots.

West Section; Clue birdage; Perth 210; Crossgates 419; Dunfermline 219; Lochgelly 217 birds; G Anderson of Perth is 1st 3rd 5th 9th & 10th with A McLeod of Novar in 2nd Place. A McCudden of Crossgates club is 4th with S Donaldson of Perth in 6th spot. Joe Mullen of Crossgates is 7th with a returning member to the sport Bob Farmer of Lochgelly winning 8th place, Bob used to be a member of Kennoway club away back in the 70/80’s so shows he still has the knack of timing in a good pigeon, well done.

Pentland Hills Federation and New Lothian RPC news from Andy Miller who writes; The New Lothian RPC with the Pentland Hills Federation ha their 3rd race of the 2018 season from Tow Law, a distance of 89-102 miles for the members. Race controller Bobby Graham gave the go ahead toliberate in an S/W wind and a fast race was expected. Winning 1st New Lothian & Federation is Stuart Gilchrist from Edinburgh Premier who timed his 3 year old widowhood cock now named “The Plasterer” for obvious reasons, as it was bred by Brian Chalmers from Kennoway from his Willy Jacobs stock. This cock is now a winner of 4 x 1st clubs and 2 x 1st federations. Well done Stuart and loft manager, son Scotty who is now going to pay the 10p kill pool every week in the New Lothian, as his dad’s failure to do so this week has made the Kinnear’s extremely more wealthy; yours Andy

Pentland HillsFederation raced flown on the 5th May had 14 clubs sending 3423birds.

Club Winners are as follows;

EdinburghPremier 269 birds; 1st Gilchrist 1670 2nd & 7thDick 1657 & 1661

Danderhall 823 birds;1st Kinnear 1670 2nd F Robertson 1662; W Hume (jnr) 1661

Arniston 254birds; 1st & 3rd W Pryde & son 1668 & 1572; 2ndMilne 1665

Woodburn 237birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Brown & Black1643 1619 & 1614

Castlebrae 116birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd L Mitchell 1610; 1606& 1604

Sighthill 175birds; 1st & 3rd Girdwood 1609 & 1577 2ndMiller 1579

Bonnyrigg 267birds; 1st A Dewar 1551.2nd Neill 1537 3rdWatson 1499

Easthouses 242 birds;1st Bertram 1537 2nd Thomas 1518 3rd Reilly1498

Edinburgh West158 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Lamb 1516, 1506& 1505

Loanhead 130birds; 1st & 3rd Simpson 1496 & 1443 2ndMurray 1490

Rosewell 116birds; 1st G Tytler & son 1421 2nd Mackie 1414 3rdCunningham & Ness 1382

Peebles 27birds;

New Lothian 89birds;

Traprain 520birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Thomson

East of Scotland Federation

New from John Baillie who writes; Hi Joe, last week with the winter jacket on, this week shorts and sun cream, what a difference waiting for the birds between the last 2 races from Tow Law. The birds were away at 08.15 into a south west wind winning 1st open this week is yours truly John Baillie of Tranent.With club mate John Bird of Prestonpans taking 2nd, 3rd, 7th & 10th open positions. Jim McNeil of Tranent is in 4th & 8th positions; with Keith Howie of Prestonpans is 5th open. Tom & Scott McEwen are in 6th open position.Tam Hunnam takes the 9th open position. Quite a good race at the end of the day with only a few birds missing;

Prestonpans HC; winning this week is JohnBaillie with a yearling cock; his sire is bred from my 9th open Ypres winner ‘MarksLady’ when she was paired to her ½ brother, both Van Loons. The dam is from Tom& Scott McEwen's, Paul Stobbs family which have regularly topped thefederation and scoring within the SNFC, this cock was 9th federation from thesame race point as a youngster Joe. Taking 2nd & 3rd positions is theconsistent John Bird with 2 x 2 year old cocks. The cock that won 2nd spot was10th open the previous week from Tow Law, his sire is a direct son from ‘Bits& Pieces’ a past winner of the BHW / Joe Murphy Sporting Challenge. The damis Dutch rung and is on loan from Jimmy Mark of Tranent. This cock was also a 1stclub, 2nd federation last year from the same race point. The cock taking 3rd clubis a Herman Ceusters bred from stock purchased from Premier Lofts. This cockwas 10th federation last year from Tow Law. That's it Joe, only 4 weeks tillthe first inland SNFC national. Where does all the time go, all the best yoursJohn B’

North of ScotlandFederation

News from GeorgeDuthie informing us 75 members sent 1966 birds to Dunfermline these wereliberated at 08-00 hours into a light south west wind with broken cloud. Theeast section had 35 members sending 1073 birds. They took the first 20 placesin the section and open so I will just give you the open positions. Colin McRaeof Fraserburgh & District is 1st 3rd & 4thwith the winning velocity 1857.George P Taylor of Peterhead & District is 2nd& 20th Stuart Maskame of the same club is 5th 7th& 9th with R Barclay of Fraserburgh West End club in 6thopen. Jim & Ann Donaldson of the Peterhead & District club are 8th& 10th open, with Chris Donaldson of the same club in 11th12th & 13th open. Walter Masson of Fraserburgh &District club is 14th 15th & 16th with J(Ian) Gibb of the same club in 17th & 19th open. R HWhyte of Peterhead & District makes up the top 20 by winning 18thopen. The West Section had 40 members sending 893 birds. Devern Valley clubtake all the section prizes with A Wilson 1st 6th and 31st& 37th open. P Sherman is 2nd section and 33rdopen with Fulton & Ritchie in 3rd 4th 5thsection 34th 35th & 36th open. A Wilson is6th & 7th section 37th & 38thopen with A Milne in 8th & 9th section 39th& 40th open. J Abel is 10th section and 41stopen.

Clubs First Bird;

Fraserburgh& District winner C McCrae; Peterhead & District winner G P Taylor;Fraserburgh West End club winner R Barclay; Devern Valley winner A Wilson;Inverurie winner A Robb; Keith winner A Cruickshank. Buckie & Districtwinner Ian Coull; Elgin & District winner R Richard: Well done to ColinMcRae on topping the federation and to A Wilson on winning the west section. Wishingall members all the best for the remainder of the season; George Duthie

Buckie

News from Gavin Russell with the Dunfermline (2) race flown on 5thMay with the convoy liberated at 08-00 into a strong south west wind. Firstclub is Ian Coull on a velocity of 1260 with a yearling blue chequer hen Vennercrossed Paul Woolliss flying celibate. Ian is also 2nd club with ayearling on 1230 this one is a blue chequer hen a Venner of Street also flyingcelibate. 3rd club is John Cummings on 1223 with a yearling hen sireoff multiple prize winners in club while her dam is a daughter off ‘Poppy’winner of 1st open Ypres SNFC for Stuart Maskame of Peterhead. Asthe race developed the wind got stronger and returns were poor at the clockchecking. However there was plenty of birds on the 2nd day; cheersyours Gavin.’

Obituary

Bert Wallace of Wallyford in Midlothian; (The Flying Milkman) I was verydisappointed not to be informed of Bert’s passing which will be at least 6weeks ago. He has been in a nursing home for the past 2 years and his wifeJanet went down to visit him 3 times a day until she also took ill. Theycelebrated their Golden WeddingAnniversary a few years ago and the couple decided to celebrate the event byhaving a Caribbean cruise and sailed round all the exotic places you couldimagine. On arrival home they joined their families and friends for a party tocelebrate all over again in the Masonic Halls in Musselburgh.

To Janet; son William and daughter Shona and their families we send ourheartfelt condolences to the passing of one of Scotland’s greatest characters.Rest in peace my old friend.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to JoeMurphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD orphone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.comwww.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk and www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Whowish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy