The Joe Murphy Column 10/5/18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

I have been so busy this week with Margaret’s birthday party last weekend and looking after the grand kids, plus moving some youngsters from the nest. I place these into crates and ensure they are eating and drinking before I take them up to Kevin’s. It is quite a time consuming task but I believe it is the best for the birds as they never forget this fort he remainder of their lives. To me it is like house training a puppy once it knows to bark that it requires out for the toilet it will do so for the remainder of its life. I also believe that if you train youngsters to eat and drink in the basket then they will never forget and it is good education for late on in life when they are in the baskets for the national racing. I must thank all the people who are sending in their results as it fills up the column but the most important thing is it is giving the winners a pat on the back for their efforts.

Results

Arbroath Racing Pigeon Club news from myson Kevin on the Ridsdale raced flown on 28th April with 6 members sending 134 club birds were liberated at 09:00 hours into an East North East wind. 1st place is won by Charlie & Glen Cameron with a yearling blue chequer who won 2nd club the week previously. He is a grandson of three of the main birds in the loft. Little Dorrie 3th open SNFC Reims,Bobby 2 time’s 1st north section in 2015 for Glen when racing in Aberdeen, and Prada who had a 1st north section and a 2nd north section behind Bobby. 2nd club is Les McKay with a mealy cock bred from his 4th open SNFC Ypres winner last year. He is a grandson of ‘Pinky’ Les’s 1st section winner from Saints. Dam is bred by the late John Ellis of Wellbank from Lady Jane who was 1st section from Reims.Les also wins 1st bird in the J Robertson nomination. 3rdc lub is Kevin J Murphy with a 2 year old red cock, his sire is a son of Gilmour Brothers ‘Robbie’s Boy’ winner of 1st open SNFC Falaise while hisdam is a Ritchie & Whyte of Fraserburgh red hen she is a direct daughter of‘Last Chance’ 1st north section 42nd open Tours 741miles. This cock is a full brother to double 18th open (Ypres and Clermont) hen and a good red cock that scored twice out of the Gold Cup race flying 574 miles. The 2nd J Robertson nomination is won by Charlie &Glen Cameron.

Almond Valley Federation

Federation result from Lynne Stewart with the Stobs Camp result of 21st April were 1173 birds competed liberated at 09-00 hours the winners were doing 1650 ypm. S Fleming of Armadale took the first 6 open places with John Bird of West Calder taking the next 14 positions. (Great flying lads well done Joe M)

Armadale 473 birds; S Fleming 1651.837, 1650.795, 1649.754, 1649.234

Balerno 135 birds; DBald 1610.969, C Ross 1590.938, 1589.417, 1585.878

Carnwath 120 birds; JWarwick& Son 1069.469, D Hamilton & Son 1060.986, 1060.455, 1059.396

East Calder 104 birds; JBurnside 1564.723, Mr Mrs Fleming 1488.218, 1477.386, 1476.452

Forth & Clyde 208 birds; VCouper 1595.585, 1522.289, R Couper 1519.017, Mr Mrs Conlin 1517.480

West Calder 133 birds; JBird 1634.351, 1629.546, 1624.769, 1623.711

Balerno HS; news from Colin Bain who wrote ‘Hello Joe time to go again and I hope you and Kevin havea good year. We were at Stobs Camp for the 1st race of the season with 6 members sending 135 birds these were liberated at 09 00 hours into a south west wind. 1st place goes to Douglas Bald with a 2 year old chequer pied cock doing a velocity of 1610 he is a David Reed Vandenabeele his sire if Falaa 2015 bird of the year. 2nd 3rd & 4th is Colin Ross with 3 Staff Van Reets velocities 1590; 1589 & 1585 this was 1 cock and 2 hens all from stock he got from yours truly Colin Bain. Returns were good long may it last best wishes Joe keep up the good work yours Colin B’.From the Otterburn race this week 28th April 7 members sent 271 birds liberated into an east wind at 10-30am. Colin Ross is 1st with a blue Staff Van Reet cock doing a velocity of 1363 he was 5th club last week. 2nd & 3rdis Colin Ross with a blue chequer hen on 1329 and a blue hen on 1328 the 2 birds are Staff Van Reet crossed Robert Cormack lines. Colin is on the roundabout system and the parents of these pigeons have all had good wins. 4th is Dougie Bald with a dark chequer 2 year old cock on 1326 an Ian Stafford pigeon.Glad you enjoyed your visit to Roberts he is amazing man as you well know, good luck Joe and all the best Colin B.

Ayrshire Federation

News from Archie McIntyre the federation race secretary who writes; ‘Hello Joe, Hope you and your good lady are keeping well. I have attached Ayrshire Federation report for their first race of the 2018 race season from Arniston on the 21st April 2018. I have also attached 2 photos for inclusion in your report, and once again many thanks for your support Joe to include Ayrshire Federation updates within your week reports in the BHW/ RP as well as the websites.

The Federation was due to start on the 14th April but the federationdelegates took the decision based on the continuous poor weather leading up tothe 14th to put the racing back one week to give the members a bitmore time to get their birds ready.

Once again in the hot seat (Race Controller) we have Jim O’Hare with Kenny Young & Jimmy Rice as driver and convoyer for the 2018 season. Jim had the birds up and away at 09:15 with no wind at the liberation site however they must have picked up alight SSE en root from the race which was between 52 miles to 71 miles to the top end of the Federation. Reports from the liberation site was the convoy of 1,773 birds cleared the site well with very few birds remaining.

Leading the way in to the federation this week taking 1st 2nd and 4thfederation on 1374.3, 1371.5 and 1366.9 is Derek McKinlay of Largs, flying in Dalry HS. This was one of these races for Derek, if it was not for having ETS this win would have slipped through his fingers. Derek made the rooky mistake (his words) of going indoors to have something to eat and missed the firstarrivals. Looking out of the window with lunch plate in hand, Derek notice about half a dozen birds on top of the hut roof and when he reached the hut, hen noticed 3 birds had already timed themselves in and were sitting in the loft. 1stfederation for Derek was dark chequer Soontjen based cock bred by Frank Sheaderflying on the roundabout system. The 2nd winner was a blue bar Soontjen crossed Kirkland hen bred by Glyn Stone of Hartshay Lofts. This hen was also flying on the roundabout system but has been sitting for just over 2 weeks on eggs. The 4th federation winner was a dark chequer cock and was also bred by Glyn Stone. All 3 pigeons Derek timed were having their firstever race. Derek would like to thank both fanciers, Frank and Glyn for these pigeons. Taking 3rd federation on 1366.9 is the partnership of Lindsay Cowan and Mark Findlay of Ardrossan flying in the Darvel Club. No strangers to being in the top end of the results Lindsay was telling me their timer known to the partnerships as the “Mullingar” hen, was a winner in the Clyde Coast Club as a young bird and has flown from Eire the last two season.She also flew Bedhampton last season as a yearling picking up a few positions on the way. She is a direct daughter from a gift cock from Alec McInnes of Blantyre which has bred both Mark and Lindsay 15 club wins and over 20 National diploma wins. The dam is one of Kerr Stainthorpe top National winning birds winning 8th open Reims Gold Medal Race. She was purchased at his clearance sale and has now started to produce many good birds for us crossed with our own bloodlines. I would like to thank Lindsay for the information on their 3rd federation winner.

North Section sent 860 birds;1st & 2nd Derek McKinlay 1374.3 & 1371.5. 3rd Cowan & Findlay 1366.9

Central Section 365 birds; 1st& 3rd Harvey Pollock 1327.5 & 1297.0 2nd McKenna& Diamond 1322.5

South Section 548 birds; 1st W Lawrence 1304.1 2nd D Graham 1259.4 3rd J Watters 1245.2

East of Scotland Federation

News from John Baillie who writes ‘Hi Joe, please find the results from Tow Law 1 race; John Parry had the birds away at 11-15 into an east wind. Taking top spot this week and the runners up position is John Bird of Prestonpans. John also takes 9th& 19th open positions and all 4 birds were cocks flown on the roundabout system. Taking 3rd open is yours truly John Baillie of Tranentwith Jim McNeil also Tranent taking the 4th & 5th positions.Tom & Scott McEwen of Elphinstone fill in at 6th, 7th&8th open positions.

Prestonpans HC result as follows, John Bird takes 1st and 2nd positions with the first a yearling cock a Vandenabeele both parents bred byBrian Shipley of Woodside Lofts. The sire is Solitaire lines and the dam is through Young Solitaire. The second cock is also a Vandenabeele his sire is also bred from a pair from Brian Shipley and the dam is from John's old distance lines from ‘Bits & Pieces’. Taking 3rd position is John Baillie with a 4 year old hen, bred at Loanhead and broken to new lofts in Tranent. She is bred from a hen of the late Jimmy Hamilton of Kennoway and a cock from Willie Watson of Kirkfieldbank, her brother had 5 national diplomas from 6 national races for me at Loanhead. That's it Joe, hopefully the weather is going to settle down a bit, even though we had a hard frost this morning yours in sport John B’.

Fife Federation

News from Geordie Todd with the Alnwick race result flown on Saturday 28th April

with 2316 birds liberated at 10-00 hours into a light north east wind. The federation top

10 positions are as follows; 1st 3rd & 9th is J Honeyman of Kennoway

Sean Diamond of the same club is 2nd & 4th with Tom Cook also of Kennoway in 5th &

7th positions Jim & Gary Peggie of Methilhaven club are 6th & 10th with Jock Scott of

Kennoway in 8th place

East Section; Club birds Leven 209; Methilhaven 192; St Andrews 144;

Tayport 83 & Kennoway 253: 1st 2nd & 7th Jim Honeyman of Kennoway; 3rd & 5th

Tam Cook of the same club. Jim & Gary Peggie of Methilhaven club are 4th 8th & 10th

with Jock Scott of Kennoway in 6th place In 9th position are the Leven partnership of

Clark Clark & Page

Centre Section; Club birds Glenrothes 205; Novar 149;

1st & 2nd Sean Diamond of Kennoway club; 3rd 4th 5th 7th & 9th Dean Bridges of

Glenrothes & Leslie club; with Mick McMurchie of the same club in 6th place

Turpie & McCord of the same club are 8th with Jock Dinsdale also of G & L.

West Section; club birds Lochgelly 202; Perth 260; Crossgates 381 and

Dunfermline 238; Topping the section is C Wright of Lochgelly club with another

yearling in 5th spot; Jock Brockie of the same club is 2nd 3rd & 8th with R Ingram

of Perth in 4th spot; J Hynd & son Ian of Crossgates club are 6th & 7th with

S Donaldson of Perth in 9th place followed by Jim Doig of Lochgelly club

who makes up the top 10 in the section?

Pentland Hills Federation

News from Andy Miller who writes; The New Lothian RPC with the Pentland Hills

Federation had their 2nd race of the 2018 season from Tow Law with 13 clubs sending

1564 birds, a distance of 89-102 miles for the members, liberated at 11-15 into

an east wind Winning 1st New Lothian and the federation is Freddie ‘Niddrie’

Robertson who timed his yearling Geerinckx widowhood cock bred by Premier Stud

Freddie would be classed as a relative novice considering he only started racing

with youngsters last season although he has kept pouters for many years;

He has performed extremely well most weeks including winning the Danderhall

Xmas race; He explains he keeps things simple and uses common sense when

in and around the birds, something that many fanciers could/should consider

more often; Well done Freddie’

PENTLAND HILLS FEDERATION

Topping the federation with a velocity of 1350 is Freddie Robertson of Danderhall

Club, one yard behind is A W Roberson also of the Danderhall club. 3rd place goes

To L Mitchell of Castlebrae club with Willie Pryde & son John in 4th & 5th places;

Sixth spot is won by W Hume of Danderhall with E Willis of Castlebrae in 7th spot.

Stewart Gilchrist of Edinburgh Premier takes the next 3 places to finish the top 10.

Club Winners are as follows;

Danderhall 701 birds; 1st F Robertson 1350; 2nd A W Robertson 1349; W Hume 1335

Castlebrae 103 birds; 1st & 3rd L Mitchell 1341 & 1306 2nd Wills 1335

Arniston 212 birds; 1st & 2nd W Pryde & son 1341 & 1340; 3rd J Pryde 1301.8

Edinburgh Premier 275 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Gilchrist 1329.8 1329.1 & 1324

Loanhead 93 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Anderson 1313 1312 & 11305

Sighthill 136 birds; 1st & 2nd Miller 1639 & 1637 3rd Girdwood 1298

Easthouses 106 birds; 1st & 3rd Reilly 1295 & 1240.2nd Bertram 1244

Bonnyrigg 171 birds; 1st & 3rd Smith 1292 & 1290.2nd Watson & Daut 1291

Woodburn 141 birds; 1st & 3rd Lapinski 1267.05 & 1266 2nd Allen 1267.03

Edinburgh West 138 birds; 1st Lamb 1266 2nd & 3rd Bennett 1251 & 1239

Rosewell 97 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Cunningham & Ness 1216 1211 & 1197

Traprain 304 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Thomson 1284 1258 & 1250

New Lothian 68 birds;

New Lothian Racing Pigeon Club; had 61 lofts sending 1690 birds, liberated at 11-15

Into an east wind the winner is Freddie Robertson of Danderhall Club, a yard behind

is A W Roberson of the Danderhall club 3rd place goes to L Mitchell of Castlebrae club

with the father and son partnership of Willie & John Pryde of Arniston in 4th & 5th places

Sixth spot is won by W Hume of Danderhall with E Willis of Castlebrae in 7th spot.

Edinburgh Premier’s Stewart Gilchrist takes the next 3 places to finish the top 10.

North of ScotlandFederation

News from George Duthie who forwards the federation result even though he has had to give up the birds, which speaks volumes of the man, Hope you are keeping well my dear friend. The federation were at Dunfermline with 69 members liberating 1573 birds with no wind but high cloud& some blue sky at the race point. The east section had 35 members sending 910b irds and they took the top 20 in the open and section prizes. G Findlay of Peterhead & District was 1st on 1198 with another 2 birds in 12th& 17th places. A Higgins of Fraserburgh West End club is 2nd6th 11th places. R Barclay of Fraserburgh West End is 3rd4th & 5th with Chris Donaldson of Peterhead & District in 7th spot. His club mates Jim & Ann Donaldson are 8th9th & 10th; with another club mate Stewart Maskame in 13rh 14th & 18th position. A W Buchan of Fraserburgh& District is 15th & 16th with W & A Ross of Inverurie club in 19th open C McRae of Fraserburgh & District is20th & 21st.

West Section had 34 memberssending 663 birds; Devern Valley club dominated the section with G Wilson in 1st& 5th positions he also won 29th & 34thopen. J Abel was 2nd 3rd & 10th section,31st 32nd & 39th open. A Milne was 4th7th & 9th section 33rd 36th & 38thopen. A Wilson is 8th section 37th open with Fulton &Ritchie in 6th section 35th open.

Clubs First Bird

Peterhead & District G Findlay;Fraserburgh West End A Higgins; Fraserburgh & District A W Buchan; InverurieW & A Ross; Devern Valley G Wilson; Keith A J Reid; Buckie & District JCummings; Elgin & District R Birnie; Well done to G Findlay on topping thefederation and to G Wilson on winning the West section, yours George Duthie’.

Buckie

News from Gavin Russell who wrote ‘From our race flown from Dunfermline flown on the 28th April the club winner was John Cumming with a velocity of 989 with a blue cock flying roundabout he is a Franz Zwols from W Donnachie. 2nd clubis Ian Coull on 974 with a blue chequer hen flying celibate; she is from Venner of Street bloodlines. Ian is also 3rd club on 936 with a blue cock flying celibate he is from Paul Woolliss of Grimsby bloodlines. This was a hard race Joe into a North East wind and returns were gappy at clock reading. Couldyou please give a mention to our club secretary Harry Mullin who is in hospital at the present time and wish him a speedy recovery from all the boys in theclub; thanks once again Joe; Gavin’

Good SNFC Birds

I arranged with my son Mark to assist me with collecting details of birds for this feature and discovered 3 birds that I don’t think I have covered and if I have then I apologies. I start with Mr & Mrs Elliot of Newbigging whose blue white flight cock SU15L 394 has won 5 times in the SNFC with 3 of these positions being won in 2017. In 2016 he won for Littlehampton a distance of 360 miles being 7th section E 207th open. He was then sent toRoye and won 13th section 96th open flying 491 miles. In2017 he was sent to Buckingham a distance of 276 miles and won 39th section E 218th open; then sent to Bedhampton a distance of 351 miles and won 52nd section E 437th open. Then sent over the channel to Ypres a distance of 429 miles and he won 74th section E but no open position. He now needs one more section prize for a Silver Award and 2 more diplomas from inland nationals to gain a Bronze award, so we wish the partnership well in 2018 and I will be keeping a close look out for this cock for future reference. My next pigeon also won twice in 2017 this was also a blue cock to John Duthie of Dundee SU13S 91 has won 4 times from inland nationals and twice from over the channel. His positions areas follows; As a yearling he won 17th section C 80th open from Maidstone a distance of 393 miles; the following year he was sent to Portsmouth and won 54th section C 195th open flying 398 miles. In 2016 he won twice being 66th section C 254thopen from Buckingham a distance of 320 miles he then went to Roye and won 8th section C 31st open flying 526 miles. Then in 2017 he won 52ndsection C 187th section from Bedhampton a distance of 399 miles and was then entered into the Ypres national and won 42nd section C 151 st open flying 459 miles. So well done John and I will also monitor this blue cock in 2018 good luck with him. My next pigeon is in the same category as the above blue cock having won 4 times from inland nationals and twice from over the channel. This blue cock SU14P 5640 is raced by the father and son partnership of A S Thomson & son of Port Seton in theLothians. In 2015 he won 3 times from his first race from Billericay a distance of 332 miles he was 45th section B 71st open; he then went to Portsmouth a distance of 363 miles and won 9th section B and9th open his 3rd national race that year was from Eastbourne a distance of 385 miles and he won 33rd section B 44thopen. In 2016 he competed from Ypres and won 8th section B 9th open flying 428 miles. Then in 2017 he was sent to Buckingham a distance of 286 miles and he won 10th section B 33rd open and to compete his season he was sent to Ypres a distance of 428 miles and won 10thsection B 16th open, He has been 4 times in the top 10 in his section and 6 times in the top 100 in 6 SNFC races. We wish Sinclair and his son all the best with this pigeon in 2018 and hope he can leave his mark in the annuals of the SNFC.

Photos

This week’spictures are of Guy Reed of Isle of Wight 3 hens that he has at last settled to his new location on the island, these are his Barcelona hen; Bordeaux hen and hisTarbes hen. They look the part Guy hope they do you a turn later on in the season. The blue bar picture is from Brown & Black of Woodburn and is of one of their 1st federation winners. The 3rd bird is from Cowan & Findlay from Ayrshire notes as it the picture of Derek McKinlay.The last but not least is from Lynne Anderson who wrote to me saying ‘Hello Joe, My dad Ian Anderson is going to be 70 on the 5th of May, and I wondered if you would put his photograph as a feature for your column. The photo is of him feeding one of his 3 federation winners from 2017 (I couldn't get a snap of them all together)!! If possible can you just say ‘A Happy Birthday Dad from Donna, David and Lynne’? Welcome to the club Ian although you are a year younger than I, happy birthday. Sorry it is a week late but my column was away last week when I received Lynne’s request.

Happy 70th Birthday to Ian Anderson

Brown and Black federation winner

Brown & Black federation winners.jpg

Cowan & Findlay 3rd Fed Arniston

Cowan & Findlay 3rd Fed Arniston.jpg

Derek McKinlay 1st Fed arniston

Derek McKinlay 1st Fed Arniston.jpg

Happy 70th to Ian Anderson

fixed.jpg

Guy Reeds three hens broken to new loft

Guy Reed's 3 hens broken to new loftfixJPG.jpg

Joe’s Joke

My friend is notorious for waiting until the needle is on empty before filling his car with petrol. Finally his car died on him,and we had to push it to the nearest filling station. After my friend finished filling it up, the attendant asked if he had learned anything. Yes, my friend muttered,"I learned I have a 15-gallon tank."

Struggling thisweek so need more funny jokes for the column Joe M

Please continue to keep the news flowing;to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY14BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLEor log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.ukand www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Whowish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy