The Joe Murphy Column 19/4/18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

This past week I have had the time and pleasure to visit a couple of fellow fanciers; Jock King of Kirkcaldy and Robert Cormack of Winchburgh in my quest for information on Scotland’s Bird ofthe Year and SHU Dewar Trophy winners. Jock has achieved some remarkable results over the years in the Scottish National winning 4 Gold Awards (for birds winning 5 times in the national) and 1 Gold Award with the Scottish Racing National in 1993; 2003; 2008 and 2011. He has also won 2 Scottish National Silver Awards (birds to win 3 times from France) both in 2010. Plus Jock also won 1st open SNFC Clermont in 2012 with ‘Mary’s Boy’ a direct son of his famous double Gold Award winning hen ‘Mary’. She was named after Jock’s wife who has been a great help to him over the years and more so now that Jock does not keep the best of health. It was a pleasant couple of hours speaking about his birds and how the sport has changed nowadays (and not for the better said Jock). We have seen the ‘Good old day’s Joe and met some outstanding pigeon fanciers whose name will live with us for ever’. He is right and Jock’ sname will go into the annuals as one of Fife’s greatest fanciers. I visited Robert at his house in Winchburgh and spent a couple of hours and wished it could have lasted longer. Robert is an encyclopaedia of pigeon racing into Scotland and he has met many of the greatest pigeon men in the annuals of our history. One story that I came away with was Robert’s meeting the famous Robbie Stoddart of Falkirk. He met him twice the first time when he bought a young hen from Robbie (I think it was 1945). Robert arrived and Robbie was in bed (he hada skin disease and could not go out in sunlight) he asked for the bird to be brought into his bedroom and after handling it he said to Robert, ‘He is a well-developed pigeon and I could do with keeping him but he will do you some good young Cormack’; and he did. This bird bred down from ‘Danny Boy’ bred Robert’s 39th open SNFC Charleroi (Belgium) winner in 1949. The following year 1950 Robert went back to Robbie’s and purchased a pair of birds; one from the Hastings hen and one from Fidelity (she was a double national prize winner for Robbie) and both these hens were daughters of ‘Danny Boy’. On arrival at Falkirk Robert found Robbie looking at his birds from outside the loft; unfortunately not long after this poor Robbie passed away. However his family of pigeons kept his name alive within the pigeon sport for many long years and Robert Cormack admits to being one of these fanciers. I had a wonderful few hours with Robert and thank him for his time and the information I required on my quest for doing this story on Scotland’s Dewar Trophy winners. Robert has invited me back if I require more information as he has all the Scottish national results from as far back as 1947 (the year I was born) AMAZING.

Good SNFC Birds

This week Istart with Jimmy B McNeil of Tranent whose blue bar hen SU15E 243 has won twice from inland nationals. In 2016 she won 119th section B 289th open from Littlehampton a distance of 368 miles.Then in 2017 she was 16th section B 51st open from Bedhampton flying 361 miles. Staying in Tranent we come to the loft of J Mark whose chequer hen SU15P 8068 won twice in 2017. She won 332ndopen from Buckingham a distance of 284 miles and then from the Ypres race a distance of 426 miles she won 152nd unfortunately she did not win any section prizes. We now move to the loft of Hugh Menzies of Slamannan near Falkirk and his chequer hen SU16NE 711 won twice as a yearling. From the Buckingham race flying 295 miles she was 108th section E, she was then sent to the Bedhampton race a distance of 370 miles ands he won 114th section E however did not make the open prizes. Moving back into Fife we come to the loft of Harry Ireland of Kelty whose chequer cock SU14F 4162 has won in 2 nationals. In 2016 he was 82nd section C 331st open flying 387 miles. Then in 2017 he won 607th open but no section prize from Bedhampton flying 378 miles. Staying in Fife we move east to the loft of Ronnie Stevenson of Leven, his chequer cock SU15F 2666 won 68th section C 251st open from Littlehampton flying 386 miles in 2016 thefollowing year he won 96th section C 370th open from Bedhampton flying a distance of 379 miles.

New Season Ahead

The new racing season will soon be upon us and if you wish your club results in my column I will be delighted to put in any club results forwarded; however I require these by WEDNESDAY as I spend the evening compiling them into an article to send away the following day. I don’t require loads and loads of details for this feature however the following is essential; the amount of members sending and the amount of birds competing in each race. Details of the first 3 birds in each race. This can be details of previous wins or their breeding, the more information on the birds the better. I WILL NOT accept just a name and velocity. This can go into the results section at the back of the paper. I try to make my weekly article as interesting as possible and I receive good feedback from all over the world so to just put in names and velocities does nothing for me or anyone else who wish to read the column. Fanciers want to read about ‘winning pigeons’ and how they are bred or their nest condition anything of interest so the more information you send the better it is for readers, you can email me at joejmurphy1@gmail.comor send in your information to my house address at the bottom of the article.WEDNESDAY is the deadline.

Obituary

John Lambie one of Scotland’s greatest characters;

I was sorry to hear that John had passed away at the age of 77 (his birthday was 2nd March) He was a great ambassador for the pigeon sport and was often highlighted in the newspapers or on Television holding a pigeon. He was also a first class footballer and started out as a full back playing with Whitburn Juniors before joining Falkirk in 1958 and made 199 appearances for the club before moving to St Johnston in 1969. He was a winger and was like ‘lightning over the first 60 yards’ and ended up his playing profession as a full back. He played more than 100 times for the Perthclub and after hanging up his boots he coached at St Johnstone before moving to Hibs and was with them when the famous George Best (ex-Manchester United) playedfor the Hi’bs. John started his management career at Hamilton in 1984 andknocked out Graeme Souness famous Rangers team (who had all the top players from around the world at that time) from the Scottish Cup winning 1-0 at Ibrox in 1987. On the bus going to the match the chairman said to him, ‘If the game oes to a replay, it couldn’t go ahead at Douglas Park (Hamilton’s home ground)because we are having new floodlights being installed at the ground’. John Lambie said to him ‘Well; I suppose we’ll just have to go and win it then’.John was famous for his quick wit and responses. He moved to manage Partick Thistle in 1988 and guided them to the Premier League in 1992. His main striker Colin McGlashan was concussed in a game and the physio shouted ‘Gaffer, Gaffer;he does not know where he is or his name’. John replied ‘Tell him he’s Pele and get him back on the xxxxxx pitch’; that was John Lambie to a T. He ended hismanagerial career with 2 more spells in charge at Firhill. Many people could not understand how he used to take the Partick Thistle team to Blackpool every January for ‘special training’ however every pigeon fancier in Scotland realised he did this so he could attend the BHW Show of the Year. His late father was a pigeon man and the bug stuck with John and he turned out to be ‘atop pigeon man’ winning many prizes over the years. He was also guest at many club and federation prize presentations and in fact he presented the main trophies at the SHU show a few years ago. John was also good friends with fellow pigeon men Davie Wilson (the Scottish international footballer who played for Rangers) and Gary Spavin, Tom McLeod (also an ex-football player) and Jock& Willie Strang of California as well as many others. To his ex-wife Mamie and daughters Janet; Isabel and Carol we send our heartfelt and deepest condolences at John’s passing; may he rest in peace.

Jock Strang & John Lambie

joe19.4.18.jpg

Photo in Monklands Hospital

Photo in  Monklands Hospitaljoe19.4.18.2.jpg

Joe’s Joke

Subject: The White House

Donald Trump is in London and has had a secret meeting with the Queen. “Your Queen ship,” he asked her. “I am finding things way more difficult than I could have imagined. May I ask you – how do you run such an efficient government? Are there any tips you can give me?” “Well,”replied Her Majesty, “the most important thing is to surround yourself with intelligent people.” Trump frowned. “But how do you know the people around ou are really intelligent?” he asked. “Oh, that’s easy” the Queen replied.“You just ask them to answer an intelligent riddle.” She pushed a button on her intercom. “Please send Theresa May in here.” The Prime Minister walked into the room. “You called for me, Your Majesty?” “Answer me this, if you would, Theresa,” the Queen said. “Your mother and father have a child. It is not your brother and it is not your sister. Who is it?” Without pausing for even a second, Theresa May answered, “That would be me.” “Yes! Very good,” said the Queen.

Trumpwent back home, returned to the White House and the very next day called forMike Pence to come and see him. Pence duly trotted in to the Oval Office. “Mike,answer this for me,’ said the Don. “Your mother and your father have a child. It’snot your brother and it’s not your sister. Who is it?” “I’m not sure,” saidPence. “Let me get back to you on that one. Pence went panicking offto his advisers and asked everyone, but none of them could give him an answer. Thenext night, as it happened, Pence ran in to Hillary Clinton in arestaurant. By now, desperate for an answer to give to his tyrannicalboss, he approached her – much to her surprise. “Hillary, I know wehaven’t always seen eye to eye but I would really appreciate it if you couldanswer this riddle for me. “Sure, Mike “Hillary said. “I’m not one to hold agrudge. What is it?” “Thanks, said Pence,” It’s this. Your mother andfather have a child and it’s not your brother or your sister. Who is it?” Hillaryanswered right back, “That’s easy, it’s me!” Pence smiled,“Thanks!” Pence then went back to speak with Trump. “Say, boss, Idid some research and I have the answer to that riddle. It’s HillaryClinton.” Trump got up, stomped over to Pence, and angrily yelled at him. “No,you idiot! It’s Theresa May!” … AND THAT, MY FRIENDS, IS PRECISELY WHAT’SGOING ON AT THE MOMENT.

Please continue to keep the news flowing;to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY14BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLEor log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.ukand www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Whowish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy