Racing Question

BANDIT

Most years. Indeed yearlings and the odd 2 y.o. go first time in basket of 150 miles and often finish well... Top 10 etc.

When I was a lad, a few years back, most fanciers did just that. In the 50's early 60's etc. it was nigh the norm.

20 miles on the Train cost 2/- and 50 miles 2/6. Depending on weight etc. Most could not afford, or merit such costs.

Hence Club members trained for pacific races I.e. Berwick for Lerwick. Getting the mileage under the wing to sharpen them up. Remarkably the fact was each season end, in the moult when not looking at their best, Fanciers were having to decide which were to go, to make room for the next year yearlings as there wouldn't be enough Nest boxes ... Meant a bird had to merit it's place, or make way for another bird.

Gary Edmunds - the most prolific winner I ever knew. only trained his youngsters twice. Once at 20 mile and another 50. Old birds were never trained!

He would state 'If they can do 20 miles, they can do 50 miles. If they can do 50 miles they can go any where. He proved it in and out in the years he raced. He won every thing there was. Held the record for most fed wins on the trot of the Northampton Fed (5)... till his uncle Barry Andrews, a real great racer to boot, beat it via one.

Barry trained hard on the natural favouring the 'Hen' especially at the distance and hard races. Gary flew strictly cock birds on widowerhood, never racing a hen

Was a time when the 'Old Timers' got their youngsters basket trained on a race day Sat afternoon. Sitting high up and looking around.

Many still do I'd wager.

I had best results when from the nest they were fed and watered in the basket in their new loft compartment. - Then in the loft then left the door open and allowed to wander around the garden etc. till up and about. Now of course they go into the aviary first. Then open trap etc.

Was a time when the 'Old Timers' got their youngsters basket trained on a race day Sat afternoon. Sitting high up and looking around.

Many still do I'd wager.

I had best results when from the nest they were fed and watered in the basket in their new loft compartment. - Then in the loft then left the door open and allowed to wander around the garden etc. till up and about. Now of course they go into the aviary first. Then open trap etc.

Roland,IM TALKING ABOUT RACING OLDBIRDS THAT HAVE RACED AS YBS BUT HAVE NOT TRAINED THIS YEAR.

well done Paul :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Andy after losing 6 around the loft to the sparrow hawk and having to keep them in for a week i wasnt sure about jumping the birds straight in to their first race.Id been getting them loft flying again for over an hour so took a chance.

Andy after losing 6 around the loft to the sparrow hawk and having to keep them in for a week i wasnt sure about jumping the birds straight in to their first race.Id been getting them loft flying again for over an hour so took a chance.

thats part the reason i stopped training , especially old birds . an attack early last month saw me lose a yearling cock in the attack , a 3 year old hen , and 6 pairs of eggs chilled . i also kept them in for a week afterwards. during which time my elderly neighbour lost 1 of his only 7 birds to an attack. also the "big doo man" across from me had lost 1 in attack. they are tough times indeed Paul :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

thats part the reason i stopped training , especially old birds . an attack early last month saw me lose a yearling cock in the attack , a 3 year old hen , and 6 pairs of eggs chilled . i also kept them in for a week afterwards. during which time my elderly neighbour lost 1 of his only 7 birds to an attack. also the "big doo man" across from me had lost 1 in attack. they are tough times indeed Paul :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Andy i sent 49 back to thurles (75 miles ) and have 46 home so far including 3 unraced or trained 3 yearolds..still a few mins off the pace but birds getting fitter each race.

Roland,IM TALKING ABOUT RACING OLDBIRDS THAT HAVE RACED AS YBS BUT HAVE NOT TRAINED THIS YEAR.

I race my Yearlings and OLD bird is not previously sent FIRST TIME EVER in a a basket up to nigh 200 miles. Like I saay

as I said. Gary trained ONLY twice - like many others. 2 training tosses as young birds THEN never trained again! Many fanciers used to just send to races FULL STOP!

Whether over the waters / Shetland's etc.

Sorry thought that was quite clear!

P.S. no need to shout I heard you and READE your post... SEEMS YOU DIDN'T READ PROPERLY OR UNDERSTAND MAT!

Well a simple realism eh! How did pigeons find their' way home during the war years? Many of course broken in pigeons. Destinations around the clock. Never train to land marks ( Breaking points rubbish) that's a certainty. Went any way and which in all weathers... Even at night released in paper bags at 5000 feet from planes! They homed in good time too (same as day time velocities)

I know how they broke them in... also how and why they returned to camouflaged lofts that may have moved miles away, deep in forests even / etc. Also of course on ships etc. No problem. Indeed read a great account of these in a great annual called 'Scotland's own'.

Now I buy a few birds from Scotland (True) from a flyer on here whom had a few good seasons. 2 years later I let out. In no time at all back in their original loft. fact.

Pigeons, like nigh all animals and birds are naturally mentally and fit. To a pretty high degree.

So a few races without training will and has, and does bring them on a treat.

Sent 46 to their 3rd race of the season about 125 miles....wind on their nose all the way....going to be very different to the first two 75 mile races.

Yer bang on there.....the best will cope others will struggle in and some won't make it even from 125....beat of luck

All will be same as to their fitness and condition.

But the more 'Wanting' to get home 'This Week' will be first home.

Mind that maybe only for this race. Next time a whole different scenario will most likely take place regard's what birds do what and excel.

All will be same as to their fitness and condition.

But the more 'Wanting' to get home 'This Week' will be first home.

Mind that maybe only for this race. Next time a whole different scenario will most likely take place regard's what birds do what and excel.

40 out of 46 home so far came home a bit scattered about 3 or 4 minutes off the result....