Young Birds Training Before Racing,

THE FIFER

how do you train your young birds by car or do you have a trainer transporter, where lots go together, and when, what is your thoughts on the first race, youngsters first time in a transporter, being taken down the road etc and spending over night, then getting liberated in hundreds from a transporter for the first time, do you think they should have at leased one training toss in a transporter before racing,

My young birds are trained by car to as much as I can doo, then if there is a local transporter they will go with that, not a lot of local transporters going around nowadays though.

First race is always a bit sticky as everyone will have experienced, due to other facts relating.

My Young birds are kept overnight in the basket in there own hut, I think, it settles them down a bit.

Short overnight staying in the transporter I think will help them.

Interesting to hear other peoples views on your thread Erch. :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer:

think ive tried all combinations of training prior to a race for youngsters . on a bicycle , in a car/van on a transporter . as time has passed ive settled to " whatever" . do like them to have 6 chucks . yet its not always possible. have sent some with no training , 1 trainer, 6 trainers , basket trained and not. its whatever "YOU" as a fancier is happy with.

I train my Ybs by car up to 45ml before their first race, they are basket trained when weaned over for the first week until they are eating and drinking freely from the troughs attached. It also lets them have a look around outside the loft and their new surroundings as well as watching the older birds coming and going.

Young bird racing for me is they must be trained hard and often if you want to be successful with them. I don’t agree with the old age statement you can take to much out of them, I believe they thrive on hard work. Usually I train as many times as I can on my own until week of first race then I try to get them onto a transporter if there is one. If no transporter I would ask a friend if I could take his birds training for the week to get them used to breaking from the bunch.

I believe young birds tell ya when they are ready, and many fanciers can miss the boat. Once the sex drive kicks in and there exercise period decreases you know you’ve missed it. The old adage of 12 weeks of age seems to be the best as long as they are flying well.

Overnight tossing is something I also believe in on the last week. Every night basket up and taken for a spin or on the transporter, I believe it takes away the young birds usual bad trapping on a first race as they then aren’t nervous