THE JOE MURPHY COLUMN

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

The new racing season will soon be upon us and if you wish your club results in my column I will be delighted to put in any club results forwarded; however I require these by WEDNESDAY as I spend the evening compiling them into an article to send away the following day. I don’t require loads and loads of details for this feature however the following is essential; the amount of members sending and the amount of birds competing in each race. Details of the first 3 birds in each race. This can be details of previous wins or their breeding, the more information on the birds the better. I WILL NOT accept just a name and velocity. This can go into the results section at the back of the paper. I tryto make my weekly article as interesting as possible and I receive good feedback from all over the world so to just put in names and velocities does nothing for me or anyone else who wish to read the column. Fanciers want toread about ‘winning pigeons’ and how they are bred or their nest condition anything of interest so the more information you send the better it is for readers, you can email me at joejmurphy1@gmail.comor send in your information to my house address at the bottom of the article.WEDNESDAY is the deadline.

This week’s photographs

Bruce McKenzie,Davy Glen and Jake Brown

joepic1.6.4.18.JPG

1 cock

joe1cock.jpg

2 cock

joe2cock.jpg

3 cock

eyesign3joe.jpg

4 cock

eyesign4joe.jpg

Lister Boy.jpg

In my article of the 23rd February I highlighted a red cock‘Hannah’s Cock’ raced by J Wyper of Galashiels I mentioned that I did not know if Jim Hannah the photographer had anything to do with this bird. Jim informed me that he bred the cock and the bird’s father was a Gerb; Hagen of Holland; being a direct son of ‘Rivaldo’ winner of 2nd national Bordeaux from an entry of 10.328 birds. 7th national Bordeaux 11.622 birds; 32nd national Montauban 8. 113birds; 569th national Dax 5.856 birds and he is a half-brother to ‘Sonja’ winner of 1st international Perpignan 12.551 birds. The dam of Jim Hannah’s bird was 1156277 a direct daughter of ‘Sarina’ winner of Golden Diploma for best average from Barcelona over the following years 1997/98/99 She won 3rd national Barcelona 8140 birds; 3rd international Barcelona 26.017 bird; 1st international dulvinnen (hens) 6419 birds. 58th national Barcelona 6290 bird; 39th national Barcelona 7047 birds; 219th national Perpignan 5479 birds; 511th national Perpignan 3965 birds and 1481st national St Vincent 7793 birds. The sire of 1156277 was a half-brother to ‘Sonja’ mentioned above when her father was mated to ‘Lucinda’winner of 6th national Barcelona 7767 birds 23 international Barcelona 26.807 birds; 4th international (hens) 5682. So you will see that the Wyper cock was very wellbred and our congratulations go to both men. I have also attached a photograph from Jim of ‘Lister Boy’ raced by Jim Coutts & son of Kintore and what a‘cracking’ cock he looks. I have also added a photograph taken at Forfar presentation a few weeks ago. As things are relatively quiet regarding pigeon news I thought I would pick out 4 cock’s eyes and add them to this week’s column(see attached).

Good SNFC Birds

This week I start of at the loft of W Smart of Allenton in Lanarkshire whose blue bar cock SU15L2558 scored twice in 2017 winning 81st section E from Buckingham a distance of 286 miles. He then went to the Bedhampton race a distance of 361miles and he won 6th section E 84th open. Moving into the North West federation we come to the husband and wife partnership of Mary and Tom Paterson of Plean. Their chequer cock SU15NW 2446 won 26th section D 213th open from Littlehampton a distance of 389 miles in 2016. Then last year he was sent to Bedhampton a distance of 379 miles back to his loft and he won 85th section D but did not win an open certificate. We move onto the Kingdom of Fife to SNFC winner Jocky Scott of Kennoway whose yearling cock SU16F 1749 won twice in 2017. He won 11th section C 28th open from Bedhampton a distance of 380 miles he was then set up for the channel and competed from the Ypres race a distance of 444 miles back to his loft in Kennoway and he won 12th section C 30th open so two excellent triumphs to be in the top 30 in 2 national races in the same season.We now travel over the River Tay to the Angus loft of Mike MacPherson of Letham (which is north of Arbroath) who also has a yearling that won twice in 2017. This chequer pied henSU16AF 2457 flew the same to race points as Jock’s bird mentioned above. Goingto Bedhampton first flying 406 miles and she won 77th section C 292nd open; she then went to Ypres a distance of 462 miles and won 44th section C 159th open proving she also is a quality pigeon. I now move to the South section to the loft of Scott Irving junior of Annan whose bla pied hen GB16V 13480 also won twice in 2017. She won 27th section A134th open from Bedhampton flying 301 miles, she was then sent to the last old bird race from Falaise and won 8th section A 11th open being Scott’s 4th bird to his loft his first 3 birds actually won 1st 2nd & 3rd open flying 446 miles; atruly outstanding achievement.

Joe’s Joke

A lady goes to the doctor and complains that her husband is losing interest in sex. The doctor gives her a pill, but warns her that its still experimental. He tells her to slip it into his mashed potatoes at dinner,so that night, she does just that. About a week later, she’s back at thedoctor, where she says, "Doc, the pill worked great! I put it in the potatoes like you said! It wasn't five minutes later that he jumped up, raked all the food and dishes onto the floor, grabbed me, ripped all my clothes off,and ravaged me right there on the table!" The doctor says, "I’m sorry, we didn’t realize the pill was that strong! The foundation will be glad to pay for any damages." "Nah," she says, "that's okay.We're never going back to that restaurant anyway."

Please continue to keep the news flowing;to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY14BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLEor log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.ukand www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Whowish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy