The Joe Murphy Column 29/3/18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

Have not had much time this week to work on an article as we have been busy assisting our daughter and grandchildren. The boys wanted their TV fixed to the wall in their bedroom and I had assistance from my grandson and son Mark to carry out this task. Our biggest problem was bolting it between the boy’s room and mums room next door as the walls were only chipboard.Lucky enough mum’s was in a cupboard in her room so you could not see the bolts(except her of course when she opened the cupboard doors). The boys are very ‘happy’as they can now lie on their beds and play the PlayStation in comfort.

Good SNFC Birds

This week I highlight 4 fanciers pigeons starting with Geordie Harris of Denny loanhead in Stirlingshire has a blue white flight hen SU16ML 1757 who won twice in 2017 from the two inland nationals. From Buckingham a distance of 303 miles she was 102ndsection E but did not win an open position. A few weeks later she was enteredinto the Bedhampton race a distance of 75 miles further than her last race and she won 43rd section E 374th open. We now move to thepartnership of Douglas & Spearman from Melrose inthe Scottish Borders; their blue bar cock SU15SB 55 won 102nd section B 243rd open from Littlehampton flying 338 miles; then in 2017 he won 25th section B86th open from Bedhampton flying 330 miles. The partnership also hasa blue chequer cock SU13SB 139 who as a 2 year was on the provisional result from Portsmouth flying 330 miles. However in 2017 he scored twice winning 15thsection B 48th open from Buckingham flying 253 miles; then into the Bedhampton race point a distance of 330 miles and won 13th section B41st open which was a nice double for the partnership. I now highlight the Scottish history maker Billy Bilsland of Ayton in the Scottish Borders. Billy has won 8 national races between both organisations and NEHU15BOR 1400 who won 201st open no section prize from Ypres in 2016 flying 403 miles then in 2017 she won again from Ypres being 33rd section B 77th open and prior to this race she won42nd section B 143rd open from Buckingham having flown 270 miles. Billy’s next pigeon is a blue chequer cock rung SU16L 7230 he had a fabulous season in 2017 being 17th section B 65th open from Buckingham a few weeks later he went to Bedhampton and won 4th section B 10th open flying 348miles. He was then set up for the channel race from Ypres and he won 25thsection B 52nd open so a 3 times SNFC winner in 2017 (not many of them going about Joe M). Another pigeon to do the double in 2017 is SU16DF 435 this blue bar hen won from both inland nationals being 39th section B 130th open from Buckingham a distance of 270 miles she was then sent to the Bedhampton race a distance of 348 miles and she won 79thsection B 289th open. Finishing off with Billy’s last pigeon that I noticed on the results a chequer hen SU15L 13691 in 2016 she won 138th section B 342nd open from Littlehampton flying 354 miles then in 2017 she won 47th section B 159th open. I wish Billy all the best with his wonderful team of birds for the new season.

This week’sphotographs

jakebird29.3joe.jpg

jimmiesdream29.3joe.jpg

My first round of eggs from the stock birds are now hatching up at Kevin’s and the birds are starting to go back down on eggs so things seem to be going quite well in the loft just now (fingers crossed). The only problem I had was with a yearling hen who took time to mate to the older stock cock I had selected for her and she did not lay, so I slipped a pot egg under him as I noticed he was getting fed up driving the hen. I let them sit these pot eggs until Kevin came for the stock birds eggs and I put the birds back on the drive and I’m happy to say that the yearling hen has laid this time round.(So I’m a happy bunny as she is a class young hen). I like to study eyesign and take photographs of my stock birds eyes so this week I thought I would pick out4 hens and add them to the column (see attached). I have also included ‘Jake’bred and raced by Andy Wilson of Macduff near Fraserburgh. The second picture is of ‘Jim’s Dream Girl’ bred by Jim McKerron and raced by G & C Rae of Aberdeen; my thanks to Jim Hannah for the birds photographs.

eyesign1joe.jpg

eyesign2joe.jpg

eyesign3joe.jpg

eyesign4joe.jpg

Joe’s Joke

Russ Buttacovoli, an 80-year-old Italian goes to the doctor for a check-up. The doctor is amazed at what good shape the guy is in and asks, 'how do you stay in such great physical condition?' I'm Italian and I am a golfer,' says Russ,'and that's why I'm in such good shape. I'm up well before daylight and out golfing up and down the fairways. I have a glass of vino, and all is well.'"'Well' says the doctor, 'I'm sure that helps, but there's got to be more to it. How old was your Father when he died? "Who said he was dead?" The doctor is amazed. 'You mean you're 80 years old and your Father's still alive. How old is he?' 'He's 100 years old,' says Russ. 'In fact he golfed with me this morning, and then we went to the topless beach for a walk and had a little vino and that's why he's still alive. He's Italian and he's a golfer, too.' 'Well,' the doctor says, 'that's great, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. How about your Father's Father? How old was he when he died?' 'Who said my Nonno's dead?' Stunned, the doctor asks, 'you mean you're 80 years old and your grandfather's still living! Incredible, how old is he?' 'He's 118 years old,' says the Old Italian golfer. The doctor is getting frustrated at this point, 'So, I guess he went golfing with you this morning too?' 'No, Nonno couldn't go this morning because he's getting married today.' At this point the doctor is close to losing it.'Getting married? Why would a 118 year- old guy want to get married?' 'Who said he wanted to? She’s pregnant!!!

Please continue to keep the news flowing;to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY14BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.ukand www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Whowish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy