The Joe Murphy Column 22/3/18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

Received news of Forfar club presentation from David Liddle who wrote; ‘Hi Joe, the members of Forfar RPC enjoyed another outstanding season in 2017; dominating the Angus Federation results and gaining several top SNFC positions. The Annual Trophy presentation was held in Canmore Bowling Club recently when members, family and friends gathered to honour the trophy winners from the past season. The trophies were presented to the winning members by Tam Henderson from Stirling who attended the presentation with Dave Stewart, both friends of Eric Galloway.Dave was a member of the Forfar club back in the 1970`s before his career as a prison officer took him to the Stirling area. First to collect his awards was Bob Baldie who won 1st club Bedhampton and in doing so was 2nd section C 3rd open in the SNFC result. Bob also won the trophy fort he Best Average in the 3 longest inland races. Next up was David Liddle who won 1st club Wakefield, 1st club Newark, 1st clubRipon (YB) and the Young Bird of the Year Trophy. Ian Scott had another successful season winning the Old Bird Average, Combined Average, 1stx 6 race Average, Longest OB/YB Average and 1st club Falaise (also winning 8th section C 19th open SNFC). Next up was Davy Glen to collect the Young Bird Average, Young Bird Points, 1st club Leicester, Old Bird of the Year and the 2 Bird Old Bird and Combined Averages.Davy also had a tremendous performance from SNFC Ypres when his good blue cock‘Lowson Lad’ finished 1st federation 2nd section C and 2ndopen. The final member to collect trophies was Gavin Ferguson of the Macaulay,Ferguson & Curran partnership who won 7 trophies including the Best Averagefor the 3 longest old bird and 3 longest young bird races; The Old Bird Points,Combined Points, 1st Ripon YB, Highest winning velocity Trophy, 1st Yearling Leicester and the 2 Bird Young Bird Average. Other members called up to collect club and federation diplomas were Eric Galloway, Mike Leggett, Kenny Droog, Willie Nicol and Tom McAree. The Forfar members are looking forward to the start of the new racing season with hopes for more success at federation, combine and national level. A pleasant evening was had by all and our thanks to Tam Henderson for presenting the trophies. Wishing you and Kevin all the best for the new season Joe yours David Liddle’.

Good SNFC Birds

This week I’m going to highlight pigeons from the southsection all flying into the village of Ecclefechan and start with the loft of A Little whose red hen SU16S 2753 also made the open results from the same 2 inland nationals; from Buckingham she won 343rd open and from Bedhampton she won 327th openbut did not win any section prizes. Staying in the village we come to the loftof G Dalgliesh & Son of Ecclefechan who have 4 birdsthat have done very well these past 2 years in the Scottish National; startingwith Chequer cock SU15S 3173 who in 2016 won 28thsection A 205th open from Littlehampton flying a distance of 315 miles then in 2017 he won 41st section A 195th open from Bedhampton flying 306 miles. Another pigeon who competed the same 2 races and won was a red pied cock SU15S 3162 from the 2016 Littlehampton race he won 22nd section A 173rd open and then last year from Buckingham he won 25th section A 264th open. The 3rd pigeon highlighted fromthis loft is blue pied hen SU15S 3159 in 2016 she won 12th section A 220th open from Ypres flying 388 miles; then in 2017 she won 13th section A 20th open from the Gold Cup race from Alencon flying 479 miles. The partnership also have a blue bar hen SU14S 4023 that has also scored twice from the channel in 2016 she won 7th section A 42nd open from Roye flying 449 miles; then in 2017 she won 9th section A 13th open from Alencon. So the latter 2 birds require one more section prize to securea SNFC Silver Award and we wish the partnership all the best for the 2018 season. Continuing in Ecclefechan we come to the loft of D Little whose chequer cock SU14S4363 has won twice from inland nationals in 2016 he won 358th open from Littlehampton a distance of 315 miles then in 2017 he scored from Bedhampton a distance of 306 miles and won 278th open.

Photographs

click to enlarge.

The majority are of the Forfar presentation with descriptions; the 2 birds highlighted have been forwarded by Jim Hannah. ‘Emily’bred and raced by G & C Rae of Aberdeen this wonderful hen won her SNFC Silver Award which is a hard thing to do flying into the north section. Our next bird is ‘Roslin Lady’ bred and raced by A Robb of Blackburn within the Aberdeen area. I heard on the grapevine that a champion pigeon had passed away so I phoned the owner Tom McEwen to find out if this was true. Tom confirmed that his champion hen ‘Petite Rose’ born in 2002 had indeed passed away. Tom,his wife Marlene and their son Scott are obviously quite upset at her loss. It is not every year that you have a winner of 1st open Scottish National in your loft. ‘Petite Rose was one of only 5 birds to win 1stopen SNFC from Tours between the years of 2004 to 2011. She was flying 611miles to her loft in Elphinstone and recorded a velocity of 1149 ypm from the 2nd highest entry during this time of 395 birds. Many people will just say ‘Oh it’s just a pigeon’ but I can assure you when a bird as special as a national winner dies then the owner who raced this pigeon feels a deep sense of loss; as I did when loosing Mystical Rose. Many people will remember the late blind fancier Jed ackson who lay to rest his Pau national winner next to the Genista tree which she was named after. Our thoughts are with the McEwen’s at this time.

Bob Baldie & Tam Henderson

joe22.3.1.JPG

David Liddle & Tam

joe22,3,2.JPG

Dave Glen & Tam

joe22,3,3.JPG

Gavin Ferguson & Tam

joe22,3,5.JPG

Ian Scott & Tam

joe22,3,6.JPG

Forfar Members Guests

joe22,3,4.JPG

roslin lady.jpg

EMILY.jpg

Joe’s Joke

Psychiatrist vs.Bartender...

Ever since Iwas a child, I've always had a fear of someone under my bed at night. So I went to a shrink andtold him: "I've got problems. Every time I go to bed I thinkthere's somebody under it. I'm scared. I think I'm going crazy." "Just put yourself in my hands for one year”,said the shrink. ‘Come talk to me three times a week and we should be able toget rid of those fears." "How much do you charge?" I asked. "Onehundred fifty pounds per visit," replied the doctor. "I'll sleep onit," I said. Six months later the doctor met me in the street. "Whydidn't you come to see me about those fears you were having?" Heasked. "Well, £150a visit, three times a week for a year, is £23,400 but the bartender curedme for £10. I was so happy to have saved all that money that I went andbought a new car." “Is that so?" Witha bit of an attitude he said, "And how, may I ask, did a bartender cureyou?" "He told me to cut the legs off the bed and there is nobodyunder there now."

It's always better to get a second opinion!!!

Please continue to keep the news flowing;to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY14BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLEor log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.ukand www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy