Natural (Nature)

THE FIFER

Nature in birds, our racing pigeons are we changing nature too much, what other birds etc breed in the months of December, January, and are changed when to moult (darkness system), I know fanciers agree some of those methods make better racers? going back to the old days before those methods birds raced and won, was there any difference in velocities etc then from now, there was certainly a difference in losses, yes now we have the BOP which is a reason for losses etc, thoughts on this and your methods, today,

(just for a bit of banter if nothing else ) drinking-coffee-200.png

Guest mambo

There were good velocities at the distance races 1400 in 19 60s, in national races. The bop now controlls the racing that's why the birds are gappy most weeks 3,000 percey alone looking for one bird on a Saturday would whipe out any fed. in and around the Yorkshire area you are in the hands of the gods going north.most English races are low field flying races,with high velocities, its only the north road races they find out about percey.

i do like the "more natural" method . leaving them together , raising young when they want to. just giving young a few races before they start to moult. feeding whatever is in season from the farm etc, etc.

however in these times , you wont be able to compete. they are "racing pigeons" and without winning the odd race , or card, most would lose interest i feel.

Streeters breed all year round

do they, never seen squeakers around during winter, could be wrong, plenty wood pigeons in the park outside my front window and they certainly dont, nests would get blown out the bare trees, plenty streeters down my high street and get fed from the pet shop,once again never see youngsters

put my birds for racing together in their section ,just had the nest boxes closed, fronts back a bit to leave perching, after a day those were taken up by the cocks, I kept watch and when a hen was on a perch with a cock I opened the nest, got 9 pair all together this way and no problems, they have nest bowls in now,

Every year Iv been to the Blackpool show except this year I never noticed them due to scaffolding there was a pair o good sized young eens up under a shutter above the cafe ( we liked to call Beale’s caf ) on the corner next to the Winter gardens

would never put my birds on darkness as i can still win my youngbirds natural i like to win any race but for me youngbird racing is about education and winning with them is just a bonus and im not that desperate to win a youngbird race that id put them through that but good luck to those that do as for every one that says they still do well as yearlings and old birds ten more say they dont a good pigeon is a good pigeon darkness or natural and most good pigeons win in spite of what the fancier does jmo and many will disagree but thats pigeon racing each to his own

I have heard Migrating birds all over the world are having same issues as well as sea creatures even bees they believe it has alot to do with the earth magnetic field change

If true this obviously will effect the homing instinct of our pigeons no matter if 50 miles or 500 miles

Birds and animals sea creature must be able to overcome or adapt to the change over time

As turles ect have been around for many years and survived through these changes therefore obviously adapted to make it back to breeding islands

But this makes me even more puzzled if this was reason why so many get lost yet many still get home

Is it that the birds returning have the stronger homing sense and overcoming tbe change

I hear many saying cant be cause i lost great birds that had flown channel many times before

These neverseen again great birds

if above corect these champions would be home as they had great homing insticts but dont forget bop may have nailed these champions as we all know thats also a massive man made problem

Whatever it is our birds are up against it

From the best flyer to the average flyer

Noone seems to be escaping it if truth be told

• 1 year later...

Personally it's a shame we don't all race natural again...over the years I have raced both natural and widowhood and won on both methods, but there's something more enjoyable about natural...but if your competitive like most of us, then widowhood gives you that edge. But some of these modern early breeding and darkness methods are messing with nature and I think contribute to losses and illness. Back in the 70s I would breed 15 youngsters and still have 11 or 12 after racing.