Help Needed

lordcornwallis

hi my birds have got PMV .the pigeon vet has sent me vaccine to arrive tomorrow . i'am looking for a person to vaccinate my pigeons tomorrow night and i'am happy to pay . i i'am in the garnock valley north ayrshire

If the birds already have PMV cant really see the point in Vaccinating them,surely it is a preventative not a cure.

You will have to notify the Ministry of Agriculture or perhaps your vet has, One way or another you will be getting a visit from them if in fact it is PMV, But they and only they can confirm it is in fact PMV, I know because I have been there. You will be in lockdown as a security measure with absolutely NO VISITORS..

I don't know what vet he is using, but Tom Pennycot, if he is still active, is the only vet with avian experience that I know of. Tom is based at Auchincruive College.

I have heard of vets recommending vaccination against PMV as a cover all, but if this is the case then it is a stab in the dark. :)

For safety sake, I very much doubt anybody would go near to help vaccinate until proper precautions have been set up, if there are any. :)

Tell us symptoms then and only if symptoms are what i would say was definitely pmv then kull straight away and cremate birds and start cleaning loft and burn waste spray with something like gemxol and burn out loft .

Dont spread your waste or bury your birds ,dont go near anyone elses stock ---i am not expert but this is what i would do.

If your from N Ayrshire I would hazard a guess at the vets you used , very good in their field but not avian vets and 1st to admit that

I used their Kilmarnock Branch a few years ago and got totaly the wrong diagnosis which cost me a small fortune to rectify.

Now I would get tests done from some of the very good people available online before any treatment

If the birds already have PMV cant really see the point in Vaccinating them,surely it is a preventative not a cure.

Gordon Chambers (and he is a world renowned sauce) told me if ever I had / got (Fortunately haven't), best to inoculate them!

Also stated ANY illness and jab them again with PMV.

Many countries jab 3 times any way... first whilst in the nest ... then 4 weeks after, and a few weeks after again.

Gordon Chambers (and he is a world renowned sauce) told me if ever I had / got (Fortunately haven't), best to inoculate them!

Also stated ANY illness and jab them again with PMV.

Many countries jab 3 times any way... first whilst in the nest ... then 4 weeks after, and a few weeks after again.

Some fanciers don't ever jab, just get mates signatures etc. ,,,,

Cant understand why anyone would give out information like this vet or no vet,or vaccinate more than once as this is going completly against the manufacturers advise.

You can jab under the loose skin at the top of the leg if you are not confident of injecting in the neck,we always go with the leg,much better,tip from the late Bill Cowan(Bilco)and is a good one.

MANUFACTURERS ADVISE ALSO HIGHLIGHTED INJECT INTO THE LOWER BACK OF THE NECK.Why is it that some fanciers go against their advise when surely the Manufacturers are the correct people to listen to.