Joe Murphy 16/3/18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

What a time we have experienced with the poor weatherover the first few days of March then heavy snow and wind; resulting in driftsof snow well over 4 feet in the front and back garden. Plus it was also bittercold and I locked the window in the hut to keep the snow out and kept the birdsin the loft as the bottom part of the aviary had about 2 foot of snow coveringit. However yesterday Sunday 4th March I let the birds back out intothe aviary as the ‘thaw’ was on and they lay about in the snow and were lookingfor a bath. However I could not get to the baths which are in my greenhouse asthe snow was too deep to go there. Wemanaged to clear the driveway which allowed us to go to church and obtain someshopping on the way home. This was the first time we had been out since lastTuesday due to the weather conditions. The one good thing is we had each otherfor company and you have to feel sorry for people who live on their own at thistime. They would have had no one to speak to during the day or night and stuckin watching TV; believe me it would have been a long time being on your own.Margaret enjoyed watching the athletics on the TV while I managed to catch upon studying the SNFC result for birds that I can highlight in my SNFC GoodBirds feature; so I made good use of this spare time. As the schools were offand our daughters work was also closed during this time she looked after thekids however we kept in contact with them by mobile phone. My birds are nowdown on eggs and up to now everything seems to be going well except for ayearling cock that keeps going into the wrong box and sitting on the eggs afterhe has chased the pair out. He has done this to another yearling pair but wouldnot have done it to one of the older pairs as they guard their boxes with theirlives.

Retirement

I received word that Brian Donnelly a good pigeonman from Dundee has now retired from his post as director of Rayno RoofingLimited. We wish Brian all the best for the future and now he will not have toget up so early to train his pigeons before going to work. I have heard thesound of his car horn when he has passed Kevin and me in the layby where wemeet while training the birds for the nationals. Good Luck for the future Brainand all the very best for the 2018 season.

Good SNFC Birds

This week we start with a blue chequer hen Ayrshirebred SU16A 1346 raced by Wilf Flockhart of Tranent inEast Lothian this hen won 114th section B 434th open fromBedhampton a distance of 361 miles. She was then sent to Ypres a distance of426 miles and she won 43rd section B 125th open.Continuing with the Ayrshire theme we come to the loft of Robert Reed of Beith whose chequer henSU14A 7319 won 1st section F 351st open from Littlehampton in2016 flying 382 miles. Then in 2017 she was sent to the Buckingham national andwon 2nd section R 61st open flying 298 miles; a goodpigeon to win a 1st & 2nd section. Robert also has ared cock SU16R 1495 who won twice in 2017 being 2nd section F 328thopen from Bedhampton a distance of 370 miles; he was then sent to Ypres adistance of 460 miles and he won 13th section F but no open diploma,still a very good pigeon to won 2 very good section prizes. We now come to section E to the loft of E Porter of Airdrie whose chequer cock SU15L 15243 also won twice in2017; He was 45th section E 280th open from Buckingham adistance of 293 miles he then went to Bedhampton and won 94thsection flying a distance of 367 miles however he did not win an open position.Moving eastward we come to the loft of Jim & GaryPeggie of Methil whose chequer white flight hen SU15F 3837 won twice from inlandnationals. As a yearling she won 53rd section C 165thopen from Littlehampton a distance of 386 miles. Then in 2017 she competed fromBuckingham and won 42nd section C 134th open flying 301miles. To finish this week I cover the south section loft of John Hodgson & son of Annan who has 2 pigeons tocompliment 4303 whom I wrote about a few weeks ago. John’s chequer hen SU15S4361 won 18th section A 81st open from Bedhampton adistance of 301 miles and also won 15th section A 24th openAlencon. Another of John’s pigeons chequer cock SU15S 4285 won twice in 2017being 11th section 52nd open Bedhampton and scored fromFalaise a distance of 446 miles winning 63rd open. He had previouslywon 12th section A 110th open from Roye flying 444 miles.

This week’sPhotographs

Jim Hannah has kindly forwarded some pictures ofbirds he took from the North section of the SNFC so this week I highlightKirkhill Laddie raced by George Wetherly of Aberdeen. The next pigeon is Alix’sGirl raced by Alex Rae of Aberdeen.

joebird16.3.jpg

joebird216.3.png

Joe’s Joke

Don't Mess with Senior’s

Last year Ireplaced all the windows in my house with those expensive, double-pane,energy-efficient kind; today, I got a call from Home Depot who installed them.The caller complained that the work had been completed a year ago and I stillhadn't paid for them. Helloooo,........... Just because I'm a Senior Citizendoesn't mean that I am automatically mentally challenged. So, I told him justwhat his fast-talking sales guy told me last year --that these windows wouldpay for themselves in a year--- Hellooooo? It's been a year, so they're paidfor, I told him. There was only silence at the other end of the line, so Ifinally hung up.

He never calledback. I bet he felt like an idiot.

At the checkoutat the supermarket, the young cashier suggested to the mucholder woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because Plasticbags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologised and explained,"We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young cashier responded, "That's our problem today – yourgeneration did not care enough to save our environment forfuture generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the 'green thing' in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, lemonade bottles and beer bottles to theshop. The shop sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilised andrefilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they reallywere recycled.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Grocery shops bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we re-usedfor numerous things, most memorable besides household bags for rubbish,was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. Thiswas to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by theschool), was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personaliseour books on the brown paper bags. But too bad we didn't do the"green thing" back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have a lift in every supermarket,shop and office building. We walked to the local shop and didn't climbinto a 300 horsepower machine every time we had to go half a mile.

But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's Terry Towel nappies because wedidn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobblingmachine burning up 3 kilowatts – wind and solar power really did dry ourclothes back in our early days. Kids had hand-me-down clothes from theirbrothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing"back in our day.

Back then, we had one radio or TV in the house - not a TV in every roomand the TV had a small screen the size of a big handkerchief (rememberthem?), not a screen the size of Scotland In the kitchen. We blended andstirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everythingfor us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we usedwadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut thelawn. We pushed the mower that ran on human power. We exercised by workingso we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operateon electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a tap or fountain when we were thirsty instead ofusing a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, andwe replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away thewhole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the bus and kids rode their bikes to schoolor walked instead of turning their Mums into a 24-hour taxi service inthe family's £50,000 ‘People Carrier’ which cost the same as a wholehouse did before the "green thing." We had one electrical outletin a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances andwe didn't need a computerised gadget to receive a signal beamed fromsatellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest Pub! Butisn't it sad that the current generation laments how wasteful we old folkswere just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needsa lesson in conservation from a smart *expletive removed* young person... We don't likebeing old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to p…s usoff...especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartarse who can't workout the change without the cash register telling them how much it is!

Here ended thelesson

Please continue to keep the news flowing;to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY14BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLEor log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.ukand www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Whowish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy