Help

Hello Pigeon people erm I have a big concern I have lost 4 babies this week in nest some have survived until 7-8 days then died and one was head floppy I had to put that one out of misery. Is this young bird sickness? Some of my babies are fine and thriving but I’m worried is this a bug going about killing some off.

Any advice would be greatful

If they have died overnight then perhaps the parents are being disturbed and the cold nights have been the problem, You can virtually suspect this is the problem if the nest droppings are firm and not watery so look for vermin such as cat or anything smaller which can gain access to disturb the parents.

Oh dear how do I prevent that I do have vtyrill I cannot spell it that’s a disinfectant

Have you seen any birds limping or dragging a wing? Even if it was months ago.....salmmonella/paratyphoid is a *expletive removed* but could be as simple as Peter says and just disturbed at night

Matthew, there are too many variants. Were the parents yearlings? Sometimes they are not the best at feeding. Were there territory fights or vermin disturbing them either during the day or night. Daytime fights, the young can be trampled; night time if the parents lift, the young can chill. Then with illness, the variants are many.

Try having a local fancier visit in the first instance, but a test may be the only sure way to know health wise. :)

I will get my local fancier I know to come and see what’s wrong and I noticed some pairs are yearlings so they might be not feeding them correctly and my 2 year old pairs are bringing up their baby well, it’s just heartbreaking when I see some die and I had to put one down myself so with my local hope he can shed light what I could do.

Have you seen any birds limping or dragging a wing? Even if it was months ago.....salmmonella/paratyphoid is a *expletive removed* but could be as simple as Peter says and just disturbed at night

One baby had a twisting head not correcting it’s head I had to put him down

One baby had a twisting head not correcting it’s head I had to put him down

Could have been stood upon if it was yearlings. Sometimes they go into the wrong box; if you have fronts on and it is not easy for the cock to expel the intruder, the Young can be trampled. :)

I will get my local fancier I know to come and see what’s wrong and I noticed some pairs are yearlings so they might be not feeding them correctly and my 2 year old pairs are bringing up their baby well, it’s just heartbreaking when I see some die and I had to put one down myself so with my local hope he can shed light what I could do.

Sometimes the yearlings are more interested in "going to nest" and neglect the young. :)

Edited by Kyleakin Lofts

Old birds look healthy and been wormed before breeding but there is some watery droppings round the nest also some on ground is this a virus?

Hi You said the old birds have been wormed but have you treated

for canker ??

Do the wet droppings have a strong foul smell

Also the birds that were rearing the youngsters that died

open there beak and have a good smell if it smells foul

that IMO is wet canker

Cheers

Homer 49