Joe Murphy column 23\2\18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

Receivedan email from Graeme Davidson who wrote; ‘DearJoe, I haven’t raced pigeons for many years but there’s always been that yearning to start again at some point. Over the New Year Ithought I must keep in touch with what’s happening in the pigeonsport so I treated myself to a subscription to The Racing Pigeon. Inthe second edition that I received on 19th January, I was surprisedto read in your column a reference to my grandfather; W.G. Davidsonof Kilwinning and his pigeon Faith. I thought you might be interestto see a picture of the tankard that my grandfather received for theachievement, showing that Faith completed the race three times in1960, 1961 and 1964, beating the record twice. I had a descendant ofFaith, a 1985 grizzle cock. I kept him for stock but and bred afantastic little grizzle hen from him which went on to perform verywell at club and fed level for me. Not to the standard of herancestor though. Keep up the good work in the Pigeon Press as I havethoroughly enjoying it all so far, wishing you all the best for thenew season; yours Graeme Davidson’.

The Murphy Hen

Receiveda nice phone call and email from Rob Glover from Earl Shiltoninforming me that he had been to Chris Sutton the photographer andhad his good blue hen picture taken and would be sending me up a copyof her. In 2012 I had to visit Mick McMurchie of Glenrothes aboutsomething and while there had a look at his pigeons and picked out adark chequer hen in his widowhood hen section. He informed me thatshe was a Deweerdt from Rob Glover and gave me Rob’s number tocontact him which I did. Rob informed me that he would rather do aswap with me than for me to buy some pigeons from him; which was fineby me. One of these youngsters turned out to be ‘The Murphy Hen’whom Rob tells me is the best hen he has ever owned. Her performancesare as follows; in 2017 she nearly pulled it off by winning theMidland National Flying Club from Poitiers. This was to be theirBordeaux National race but they brought the birds back to Poitierswhich is 432 miles to Rob instead of the 530 miles from Bordeaux. Theconvoy of 984 birds were liberated at 07-20 am into a West to NorthWest wind,but she was beaten bya very good pigeon flying 83 miles further to the loft of Mr &Mrs B Fisher & son of Todmorden who beat Rob by a yard and ‘TheMurphy Hen’ ended up winning 1stsection 2ndopen MNFC. This is pigeon racing and we take our hat off to thewinner, I would rather be beaten by a bird flying further than methan one who is a 100 mile shorter. Rob’s hen also won 1stsection 1stopen MNFC 2 bird club; 1stLeicester Continental club; 1stWarwickshire Federation and won 2ndSC section 6thopen Long Distance ACE award MNFC 2017. The previous year she won 5thsection 61stopen MNFC Bordeaux 1496 birds. She also won 3rdsection 11thopen MNFC 2 bird club; 2ndLeicester Continental club; 2ndLeicester federation and 4thWarwickshire Federation and was 2ndSC section 6thopen Long Distance ACE award MNFC 2016. In 2015 she won 31stsection 121stopen MNFC Bordeaux 1727 birds. She also won 1stsection 17thopen MNFC 2 bird club; 9thLeicester Continental club; ALSO in 2016 she won 12thsection 53rdopen MNFC Ancenis 3807 birds; 9thLeicester Continental club; 5thLeicester federation and 20thWarwickshire Federation and was also 39thsection 251stMNFC Ancenis 4268 birds in 2017. 2ndWarwickshire 2 bird club Ancenis. Sire of The Murphy Hen is a directson of Gilmour Brothers of Leven’s ‘Robbie’s Boy’ winner of1st& 50thopen SNFC Falaise. This son is also the sire of our 4th open SNFCAlencon winner at 574 miles and she in turn is the dam of Kevin’s26thopen SNFC Falaise winner in 2017. This son is also the sire of mybird raced in the Barcelona Challenge Loft by John McGee that was 9thhome from Narbonne and 15thbird to the loft from Barcelona. The dam of Rob’s Murphy Hen is adirect daughter of ‘Kingdom Spirit’ George & Brian Hunters ofDunfermline’s wonderful hen who won 10 times in the ScottishNational. So you will see that she is steeped in proven long distanceScottish National winning blood. See attached photograph of ‘TheMurphy Hen’ raced by Rob Glover of Earl Shilton and Bred and Giftedby Joe Murphy.

Good SNFC Birds

Istart this week with the Grant French & son partnership ofHaddington whose chequer white flight cock GB15S 03170 has won 3 openpositions in the SNFC. In 2016 he won 394thopen from Buckingham a distance of 283 miles but did not win asection prize. However he was sent to Littlehampton a few weeks laterand he won 56thsection B 122ndopen flying 368 miles. In 2017 he was again sent to Buckingham andwon 9thsection B 31stopen to win his 3rddiploma. We now come to another chequer white flight cock SU14M 423flown by T Jack of Camelon. This cock’s first diploma was won in2015 from the Portsmouth race point a distance of 384 miles were hewon 2ndsection E 297th open.We now come to the 2017 season and he wins twice from the first 2inland nationals from Buckingham a distance of 299 miles he won 48thsection E 322ndopen then a few weeks later he was entered into the Bedhampton raceand he won 35thsection E 346thopen flying 374 miles. We now come to George Veitch of Pencaitlandwho also won with a chequer white flight cock SU14E 16 in 2015 he won203rdopen from Eastbourne flying 379 miles but did not win a sectiondiploma. Then in 2016 he was sent to Ypres and he won 18thsection B 34thopen flying 422 miles, and in 2017 he went back to the same racepoint and won 30thsection B 67thopen and now requires one more section prize from over the Englishchannel to win a SNFC Silver Award and we wish George every successin 2018. I finish off this weeks feature with a chequer pied henSU15S 4303 raced by John Hodgson of Annan. In 2016 she won 23rdsection A 50th openfrom Buckingham a distance of 226 miles. In 2017 she went to theBedhampton race a distance of 301 miles and she won 412thopen but no section prize. She then went to the Gold Cup race fromAlencon and won 16thsection A 25thopen flying 475 miles.

This week’s Photos

joe23.2.18.jpg

The tankard won by W G Davidson

Irish Connectionjoe23.2pic3.jpg

J Wyper Red pied cock.jpg#

joe23.2.182.jpg

Of the2 birds taken by Jim Hannah are as follows; the ‘Hannah’s RedCock’ (don’t know if this has any association to Jim JM) wasraced by J Wyper of Galashiels in the Scottish Borders. The secondbird Irish Connection won the SHU Celtic Cup in 2017 and was bred byGary Gibson of Northern Ireland and raced by John McNeill ofBroxburn.

Joe’s Joke

ChangingValues as We Age

An elderly lady was standing at therailing of the cruise ship holding her hat tight so that it would notblow away in the wind. A gentleman approached her and said, "Pardonme, madam. I do not intend to be forward but did you knowthat your dress is blowing up in this high wind?”. “Yes, Iknow," said the lady. "I need both my hands to holdonto this hat." "But madam, you must know that you are notwearing any panties and your privates are exposed!" said thegentleman in earnest

The woman looked down, then back upat the man and replied, "Sir, anything you see down there is 75years old. I just bought this hat yesterday!"

You have got to love older people!

Please continue to keepthe news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 FlutorumAvenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Emailto joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBERTHE J IN THE MIDDLE or log ontowww.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk andwww.Pigeonbasics.com- Pigeon Racing the Basics!Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio onpigeon topics from Scotland

©Compiled by Joe Murphy