Maple Peas

THE FIFER

just wondering if any other fanciers have a problem during breeding, once I pair up and birds sitting or feeding, they always leave the maple peas,

Have noticed this with the stock birds for some reason, maybe like me, feeding too much, and I haven't much ybs, so maybe time will tell. ;)

Have noticed this with the stock birds for some reason, maybe like me, feeding too much, and I haven't much ybs, so maybe time will tell. ;)

I have had this a few times , as just sitting cut them down a bit but still the same, it's worse when feeding youngsters as you cant cut them down too much,

I have had this a few times , as just sitting cut them down a bit but still the same, it's worse when feeding youngsters as you cant cut them down too much,

When I noticed this a few days ago, I checked the quality of them and there is nothing wrong with them, they are good maples, so cant put the finger on this just now, only thing I have noticed is there is some cocks who are heavy driving and have ate nothing when checking them at dark oclock, strange but troo.

Would be interesting to find out what the guys who have ybs out flying say.

Read an article some years ago by a Dr. Cameron,vet in Canada that maples have the highest toxin levels in the skin than any other pigeon food and suggested that when on a high level of maples they should have clay blocks at all times,apparently the clay block are high in kaolin which breaks down the toxins.

So if the above is correct you might try supplying your birds with the blocks and see if there's any change ??

Read an article some years ago by a Dr. Cameron,vet in Canada that maples have the highest toxin levels in the skin than any other pigeon food and suggested that when on a high level of maples they should have clay blocks at all times,apparently the clay block are high in kaolin which breaks down the toxins.

So if the above is correct you might try supplying your birds with the blocks and see if there's any change ??

think your wrong he should bag all the maples up and my birds would love tae have them they have never tasted them before what a nice treat that would be for them :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

They have blocks all the time

Was told about 20 odd years ago by a top vet /pigeon fancier that they were bad for pigeons full of toxins any other type of peas are fine ,I always go for feeding with the minimum of maples or none at all .

Have read that Stuart but ain't it funny how all feed suppliers have a breed and wean in which has a high %maples so they must do some research in to them for ybs! my ybs go on Concorde x barley and fly very well at home (don't race ybs) so will be on same this year possibly.

Mostly tic beans x gem pellets for rearing here.

Have read that Stuart but ain't it funny how all feed suppliers have a breed and wean in which has a high %maples so they must do some research in to them for ybs! my ybs go on Concorde x barley and fly very well at home (don't race ybs) so will be on same this year possibly.

Mostly tic beans x gem pellets for rearing here.

Don't use beans but I do use pellets .done so ever since Paul smith brought them out donkeys years ago .regency something .they were called .

Gold line that's what they were called .

Never been a fan of breed N wean 2 heavy mixtures for breeding and layer pellets for us mind you the breeding mix we used last year had some maples in it but but anything they waste stays on the easibed after the yb's are away and the cocks WILL eat it as they get fk all else until they do...

Never been a fan of breed N wean 2 heavy mixtures for breeding and layer pellets for us mind you the breeding mix we used last year had some maples in it anything they waste stays on the easibed after the yb's are away and the cocks WILL eat it as they get fk all else until they do...

You Blootered ya DAFTY. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Never been a fan of breed N wean 2 heavy mixtures for breeding and layer pellets for us mind you the breeding mix we used last year had some maples in it but but [/b]anything they waste stays on the easibed after the yb's are away and the cocks WILL eat it as they get fk all else until they do...

Guttered maybe, as its a Sunday. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I'm just a new start and flying yb's this season,I hope. I was told to use breed n wean and maple peas. Bought a bag of Top flight Breed n wean and it's almost all maple,my birds just won't eat them all they are doing is picking the small stuff. My yb's were being pumped full of water. Sadly they had to go as they just wouldn't have cut it. I've now changed the feed for the next lot of yb's so hopefully these will be fine. Any advice on feeding would be gratefully appreciated

Paul, you'll get loads of different answers, but if they are not eating the maples, they probably haven't been used to getting them. Ask whomever gave you the pigeons what they feed. Other than that it is trial and error, but they often don't eat maize at that time either. Some feed pellets and barley. I feed channel mix, pellets and all round, but the channel mix has maples. Used to feed tic beans. It is just the fanciers preference. You need to find what suits you. :)

I have the clay blocks placed in the trough along with the feed Lindsay, that way the birds have access to it when ever they need to.

I'm just a new start and flying yb's this season,I hope. I was told to use breed n wean and maple peas. Bought a bag of Top flight Breed n wean and it's almost all maple,my birds just won't eat them all they are doing is picking the small stuff. My yb's were being pumped full of water. Sadly they had to go as they just wouldn't have cut it. I've now changed the feed for the next lot of yb's so hopefully these will be fine. Any advice on feeding would be gratefully appreciated

My reply to your question would be that you are overfeeding and pigeons being pigeons will pick whatever small seed is in the mixture first as its easier regurgitated. You will find it more beneficial to give them no choice and feed 100% Beans which is my preference and advice for healthy youngsters.