Joe Murphy Column 15/2/18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

We were getting a new carpet laid in bedroom and prior to the fitter coming I decided to help him out by cutting up the old carpet and taking it out so he could come and just lay the new one. But things did not go to plan I put a new blade in the Stanley knife and cut the first piece no problem. Then the second piece I cut the knuckle joint of my finger on my left hand; blood everywhere; and Margaret put a dressing on it and phoned the doctor’s surgery. Low and behold they could not help me and advised me to go to Accident and Emergency at the Victoria hospital in Kirkcaldy. Every day we hear on the news about the NHS and the amount of waiting time patients are seen this was only a cut finger and surely the surgery could have put some dumbbells or stiches in. Anyway we then had to wait for the carpet to be laid and then go to the hospital and after 1 ½ hours was attended to. With the nurse putting 5/ 6 dumbbells and a dressing on my finger and informed me that I had not to get it wet for at least 5 days, (see photograph), ‘No washing dishes’ I asked and with a smile was told ‘No’ you have to take it easy. I’m now on the mend and have started typing my article once more.

Pictorial

With all the upheaval of empting the above bedroom and moving items etc. when putting them back on checking my collection of Pictorials I have discovered that I’m short of number 560. If anyone has a spare or copy they no longer wish; I will buy this from them and pay for carriage; and if I find my own edition I will return their copy back to them if they so wish. Hope someone can help me out my phone number is 01592 770331.

This week’s Photos

The first is of my grandson Liam with the SFA famous Scottish Cup; this was on display at Glenrothes and his mum took his picture. There was a competition with FIFA 18 computer game on who could score the fastest goal within an hour. Everyone who had a turn was allowed a time span and the winner would win a prize; low and behold 11 year old Liam was winning the prize right up to the last person who was 16 and beat him by 6 seconds for the first prize of £50. Liam won a football with Pele name on the side of it. He was over the moon and I assisted him blow the ball up before he went out for a kick about. My next picture is of the BICC committee taken at their presentation last weekend my thanks to President John Tyerman for this photo. The third picture is of fellow scribe Terry Peart with my good mate Guy Reed which was also taken at the BICC presentation.

joepic1.jpg

BICC Committe 2018.jpg

Guy Reed with Terry Peart (1).JPG

Good SNFC Birds

I start this week’s 5 birds with 2 birds that won SNFC Meritorious Bronze awards in the SNFC in 2017. Victorious Victor raced by Victor Couper of Dennyloanhead this lovely chequer cock won 36th section E SNFC Bedhampton 375 miles and 15th section E from Eastbourne 402 miles in 2015. He then won 30th section E from Buckingham a distance of 300 miles and was then sent to Littlehampton a distance of 385 miles and won 30th section E. In 2017 he won 55th section E 449th open from Bedhampton a distance of 375 miles competing against 6065 birds.

My next pigeon also won a SNFC Meritorious Bronze award in 2017 this Dark Chequer cock SU14F 2023 was raced by Stewart Donaldson of Blairgowrie. In 2015 he won 2nd section C 24th open Bedhampton a distance of 408 miles; he then went to Eastbourne and won 5th section C 13th open from 430 miles. In 2016 he won 99th section C 371st open Buckingham 331 miles then in 2017 he won 3rd section C 24th open from Buckingham 331 miles a few weeks later he was sent to Bedhampton and won 38th section C 116th open flying 408 miles.

joepige1.jpg

joepig2.jpg

Congratulations to the above to fanciers on wining this SNFC award and my thanks also to Jim Hannah for supplying the photographs of these wonderful birds.

I continue with another good Fife fancier and pigeon this being a blue chequer cock SU15F 1200 raced by Eddie McWilliams of Blairhall in the west of Fife. This cock won 46th section C 195th open from Buckingham a distance of 302 miles in 2016 a few weeks later he was entered into the Littlehampton race a distance of 386 miles and won 41st section C 136th open. Then in 2017 he once again scored from Buckingham winning 78th section C 239th open. We now move up to Angus federation to the town of Forfar to the loft of David J Liddle who has a chequer cock SU13AF 1548 who has also won 3 times in the SNFC. In 2016 he won 15th section C 37th open from Littlehampton a distance of 415 miles he then went to the last old bird race of the season from Roye and won 12th section C 39th open flying 533 miles. In 2017 he was sent to the Bedhampton race a distance of 408 miles and he won 80th section C 300th open to win his 3rd national diploma. We move south to Kelso to the loft of Andrew Agnew & son whose grizzle hen SU15SB 1182 has 3 inland national diplomas to her credit. In 2016 she won 154th section B 389th open from Littlehampton a distance of 337 miles. Then in 2017 she won 266th open (no section prize) from Buckingham a distance of 252 miles she then went a few weeks later to Bedhampton a distance of 330 miles and won 71st section B 254th open.

Joe’s Joke

A London lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by an Irish cop. He thinks that he is smarter than the cop because he is a lawyer from LONDON and is certain that he has a better education then any Irish cop. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Irish cop's expense!Irish cop says, "License and registration, please."London Lawyer says, "What for?"Irish cop says, "Ye did nae come to a complete stop at the stop sign."London Lawyer says, "I slowed down, and no one was coming."Irish cop says, "Ye still did nae come to a complete stop, License and registration, please"London Lawyer says, "What's the difference?"Irish cop says, "The difference is, ye huv te come to complete stop, that's the law. License and registration, please!"London Lawyer says, "If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my license and registration and you give me the ticket. If not, you let me go and don't give me the ticket."Irish cop says, "Sounds fair. Exit your vehicle, sir."The London Lawyer exits his vehicle.The Irish cop takes out his baton and starts beating him on the back and head and the lawyer starts shouting out. The Irish cop says, "Dae ye want me to stop or just slow down?"

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk and www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy