Sparrow Hawks And Cats.

greenlands

You lads and lasses that are having sparrow hawk problems,give this a go,anything's worth a try,I was also getting tormented with a cat usually through night and I'm sure help deter it from coming in the garden.nothing's 100% though.

The crow next to the owl is stapled loosely to the fence and rotates with the least bit of wind ,the other is on a length of garden cane stuck in the ground,this again sways about with the wind,this is where the cat used to come into the garden.

post-3092-15185409198164_thumb.jpg

post-3092-15185409320813_thumb.jpg

You lads and lasses that are having sparrow hawk problems,give this a go,anything's worth a try,I was also getting tormented with a cat usually through night and I'm sure help deter it from coming in the garden.nothing's 100% though.

The crow next to the owl is stapled loosely to the fence and rotates with the least bit of wind ,the other is on a length of garden cane stuck in the ground,this again sways about with the wind,this is where the cat used to come into the garden.

Cats are not a problem for me,if only my lurcher could fly .

What do you reckon on CD's suspended to cause flashing in the oft not seen sun? :)

Before my mate packed in Andy I used to go for a chat and a coffee most mornings,if the sun was out it was like being in a disco,cd's all the garden over,recon his birds were hit at least twice a week,so to me a complete waste of time.

Best tip is keep them on the hungry side . I've noticed last two weeks two hawks doing the rounds one is small and very dark undersides? Seen it being chased by a seagull this morning . My birds been out all winter and I could turn my back when they are flying and turn around and 19 are in and eating . They are well aware of the danger from above.But Iam more than convinced dogs in my garden and dog next doors keep it from attacking.Cats however are a problem I can't get the back of them!!!

What do you reckon on CD's suspended to cause flashing in the oft not seen sun? :)

Had the tinkling tin foil on allotments for yonks between the rows. :unsure:<_<

I had discs galore fluttering about .... Any good? I don't know, but certainly no harm.

Had the Eagle Owl disc blaring out in the night ... Neighbours often asked if I heard the terrible screeching? Lol.

But I've only had one sparrow hawk attack... and one on fence when building my loft. But am sure that it being under the trees is a boon for, against many not so goods.

Now one can YouTube S/H etc. being used to cull the crows. Indeed in harsh winters they are a sauce of food. One will never see crows bother a hungry Crow etc.

But a week last Sunday - was going to post but thought no one would be interested or believe - a Red kite turn on the crows and go for them! They scarpered quick. But only time I've see that.

Cat problem sorted and only occasional visit by sparrowhawk. Their too busy chasing prey in the local woodland

could anyone recommend a nice sauce to go on the back of a pigeon that alas succumbed to a local sparrowhawk attack as im sure it will return for seconds

• this was a post by NOVICE in 2009, I remember this you placed around in v shapes if i remember
  • post by NOVICE
  • Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:15 AM
  • At the moment the use of "Mylar" tape is being evaluated.
  • This is a reflective strip of tape which comes in strips abput 2 inches wide. It is hung around the gardens.
  • At the moment there have been no conclusions drawn on whether or not this works.
  • The alternative is the dummy Eagle Owl.
  • Both of these remedies should be placed on the normal flight path of the predator to be fully effective.
  • These are about the only legal measures we can take.

Solutions simple: Cats simple ... Electric fence.

S/H etc. a glass fish tank with canaries sitting perches in it ... placed on table. Or glass a foot deep around top of loft where the birds perch. Always have the glass nice and clean.

One can easily get toughen glass in a tip out side of a double glazing place if want to build own glass fence.

covered WHEN birds out if needs be.

Being born n bred in Yorkshire dealing with cats is not a problem, however this sparrow hawk thing is a whole different ball game ,

They are abundant whare I live and believe me am doing my bit 5 years ago if I stopped the atacks I would get maybe 2 weeks grace.

Now am lucky if I get 2 days before another has taken over the area I have read lots of literature on the behaviour of sparrow hawks

And they are evolving every year. Ps I cannot post on how I deal with cats