Breeding - How's Yours Going

REDCHEQHEN

Brand spanking new loft

12 boxes for stock - new boxes (previously 8 boxes)

5 new stock birds (3 cocks plus a pair)

We've got more empty eggs than full ones

2 of the new cocks didn't fill their eggs - and the new pair and new pairing with the remaining cock haven't even laid!

Talk about banging your head against a brick wall

Of course - the race loft - are all full and sitting and we've next to nothing to float to them!

How long do you let them sit their empty eggs before throwing them and starting again?

Brand spanking new loft

2 of the new cocks didn't fill their eggs - and the new pair and new pairing with the remaining cock haven't even laid!

Of course - the race loft - are all full and sitting and we've next to nothing to float to them!

How long do you let them sit their empty eggs before throwing them and starting again?

throw the eggs away now, oversitting blank eggs is no use for stock. they will lay again when ready .

often have a few set backs when introducing new stock . as far as floating eggs under the racers , dont worry about . raise some young from the racers and use them for your futurity rings . you may well be surprised by the outcome :animatedpigeons: :animatedpigeons:

New stock in a new loft sometimes causes problems and this seems to be your only problem. Weather can cause problems, but since it is only the stock, I don't think it is this. Too fat, but again the racers are OK. Could this be a problem for the new stock birds? You could float a racer egg under them to get them started. Rearing etc would settle them regards the new surroundings and should help sort out the fatness if it is a problem. :)

Brand spanking new loft

Sue the same happened to me when I put new nest boxes in the stock loft a few years ago, out of 8 pairs I only managed to wean 6ybs in the first round. Thankfully all is well now and I have 14 pair all sitting on 10-12 day old eggs.

Same problem here too redchequer, bought in new stock 4 pair and two hen which I paired to my onw stock ,so the big plan was to pair them all up together 28 Dec and float the eggs from the stock birds under some of the widows , well first four eggs from the new stock (which are yearlings and a two year old hen) all blank and one off the other hens I brought in paired to my own cock her first egg broken ,the other got crushed in the nest expletive remove , Only let them sit 5-6 days so they laid again pretty quick and they all seem to be full this round ,fingers crossed .Can't explain it ,last year every egg hatched that was laid last year ,maybe is the weather or the section they were in wasn't the biggest so maybe not getting piece to do there business. Never known a year like this it's maybe a sign of things to come

most of my stock birds are over ten years old now.. nothing but chalk eggs now dont breed of my racers so ordered 20 young birds today of a good friend who has bred birds before for me and they have won from the first race till the last so hope they repeat what the last ones done for me fingers crossed :animatedpigeons:

most of my stock birds are over ten years old now.. nothing but chalk eggs now dont breed of my racers so ordered 20 young birds today of a good friend who has bred birds before for me and they have won from the first race till the last so hope they repeat what the last ones done for me fingers crossed :animatedpigeons:

You,ve no sent me the deposit yet ,lol

Put my stock birds together today but separated the boxes so no bust heeds .