Geese On The Move.

Valiant Fifer

Saw some Geese flying over me tonight heading South just after 5pm.

I can tell it's gonna be a bit frosty tonight, it was quite clear and could easily see some stars. The Geese were pretty high some 100 - 120 of them.

I've heard them a few times all in the last wk but haven't been able to see them til tonight as I was clearer with no clouds.

Don't know if these are migrating geese or resident ones.

Just thought it was maybe a bit early for the ones that migrate south, as I know some go south and some go north.

I can tell it's gonna be a bit frosty tonight, it was quite clear and could easily see some stars. The Geese were pretty high some 100 - 120 of them.

I've heard them a few times all in the last wk but haven't been able to see them til tonight as I was clearer with no clouds.

Just thought it was maybe a bit early for the ones that migrate south, as I know some go south and some go north.

A heard them last week heading south west at 5oclock couldn't see them sounded a few

A heard them last week heading south west at 5oclock couldn't see them sounded a few

Just thought it was a bit strange them heading South. Unless they are the ones that winter here and then head south to their breeding grounds when ready.

To be honest like a lot of people am more intersted to see and hear Geese arriving from the South. Usually February or early march at very latest.Then we Deffo know it's breeding time. :animatedpigeons::smiling-sun:

Been out the back most of the day washing nest pans etc, geese, going various directions over me, pretty low, so they have not lifted far from when they came over me.

Hmmmm could be resident ones Cem .

They are amazing birds tho Geese.

Migrating from Northern Norway The Russian Tundra. Then there's geese that arrive from Iceland, Greenland and even the North East Islands of the Canadian Artic which is absolutely amazing.

I think the latter head for Greenland first then Iceland before heading to UK mainland.

Different species of geese head for different parts of the UK and Ireland.

Clever birds they are no doubt, some on their first ever journey too. Brilliant thing is nature!

They are amazing birds tho Geese.

Migrating from Northern Norway The Russian Tundra. Then there's geese that arrive from Iceland, Greenland and even the North East Islands of the Canadian Artic which is absolutely amazing.

I think the latter head for Greenland first then Iceland before heading to UK mainland.

Different species of geese head for different parts of the UK and Ireland.

Clever birds they are no doubt, some on their first ever journey too. Brilliant thing is nature!

yes and all flying natural, no widow hood or others,

They are amazing birds . To migrate from the north latitudes in the hours of darkness. September some years October others depending on the onset of winter in northern hemisphere.They have excellent navigation skills .

I've seen them even in complete darkness flying to nature reserve not far from me . Pink footed greylag goose and brent . Are to be seen over winter months in the loch of strathbeg reserve.

The latest count of pink-footed geese in Loch Leven was just over 13,000. They are often seen departing in the early morning and return in the evening, The beat of their wings and the enormous clatter and clamour as they drop to the water and the safety of a night-time roost at Loch Leven is worth the visit only a short drive for us Stuart. A few always venture on their own of course

They are amazing birds . To migrate from the north latitudes in the hours of darkness. September some years October others depending on the onset of winter in northern hemisphere.They have excellent navigation skills .

I've seen them even in complete darkness flying to nature reserve not far from me . Pink footed greylag goose and brent . Are to be seen over winter months in the loch of strathbeg reserve.

yes ur quite correct m8 thousands land there every year and get counted by the authorities that count them.

not as big batches as I have seen in the past just this morning a batch of 8 past over is that not unusual ???

Maybe unusual Fifer, normally see more strung out usually not less than 40. No matter how little or how many there are in a batch I always like to see thum, especially in the next month or two then I know theve done well, they made it again!

The latest count of pink-footed geese in Loch Leven was just over 13,000. They are often seen departing in the early morning and return in the evening, The beat of their wings and the enormous clatter and clamour as they drop to the water and the safety of a night-time roost at Loch Leven is worth the visit only a short drive for us Stuart. A few always venture on their own of course

yup your right Joe only a short trip. Ive seen them there a few times from the road and they are a sight to behold.

Another thing I find interesting is that the different species of geese prefer different places to go to nest or breed.

For instance some prefer Loch Leven as you say, some at Islay some in North east Scotland, some out in the Slamannan area and different species in the Solway Firth and mostly different species of them.

Then of course some different geese in eastern England and Northern Ireland.

I presume that last year's geese now ylgs just go with their parents back and forward every year migrating, and the same process is mass repeated for thousands of

other geese every year and has been going on for hundreds even maybe thousands of years! Basically going back to where they were born just like Salmon.

Well with Salmom it's not exactly true as they go back to lay their eggs before they unfortunately die.

Seen programmes about them also and their long journeys. Truly amazing but it's a shame they have to die. However they have their uses as bigger animals in the food chain live off their rich resources.

Used to read about migrating birds long time ago and watch any programmes on TV about them when I was young.

They interested me then and still do flying to far off places further than where we fly our pigeons from.

Imagine going up to the people that look after the Geese in some places and saying to thum give them this in their water if you can. The look on their face when you told them it's for respitory ailments give them it a wk before they are expected to migrate would be priceless!!! Oh and mind and deworm them 10 days before that! :emoticon-0136-giggle::emoticon-0136-giggle::emoticon-0136-giggle: