Another Wee Story That May Be Of Interest

walterboswell59

it was around 1978 or so at my old house my neighbour a novice had a loft about two blocks away which could be clearly seen from my garden i was waiting on birds from the coast race some 350 miles and it was a stinker real crap weather i had sent 5 of different ages but they were not great birds i timed a 4 year old cock about 8 45 and had sat another hour as the darkness fell and the weather was just a shut out theres not much chance of a bird getting though now i thought as i looked at my watch it was 5 past ten and i was just about to call it day when i could just see a bird dropping out the darkness but it dropped to my neighbour whom had already given up i ran to his house and banged the door as i could see the bird a cheq hen running up and down the board trying to get in you have a bird i said its a game wee doo go let it in anyway to cut a long story short and for reasons i will not go into during the winter of that year the guy came to my door to tell me he was packing in did i want his pigeons i dont have the room to take them i said well there going in the bin he said sorry to hear that i said but id take that wee hen you got from the coast race dont think it will be much good to you says he its a 2year old barren hen i only sent it to lose it but its well bred from robert nisbet of tranent blood my pal bred it for me il take it anyway so that was how i got the barren hen in those days i had learned the importance of incentive and motivation in pigeon racing and i was getting good at it but where i fell down was the fitness part of the doo game i did not have the time or inclination to train birds the way i knew they should be trained and my birds did not fly well at home 10 or 15 mins that was it i worked shifts and all i wanted to do was spend half an hour with the birds then sleep but i was not kidding myself i knew my failings i was only playing at pigeons at that time but i read everything there was to read about them as i loved the sport and was happy with the few wins i got but i was learning all the time the racing started and i had only three tosses before the first race i was into kidding birds and i had picked out a 2year old cock to have a gamble on he was driving his hen so i had taken the cock out the loft and put him in a small basket where he could see the front of the loft then i let his hen out with a spare cock who chased her all over the loft till she started to flirt with him i then let the pair in and put them in the cock i was kiddings box and shut the box then i opened the basket letting the race cock out he nearly knocked the trap off going in when i got to the loft he was hanging on to the front of the nest box trying to get to the pair i then put him in a box on his own to give him time to think about what he saw and sent him to the race all pools although i knew he was not fit enough to win or should not be i had high hopes of getting the pools with him which was good money in our club the race was only 65 miles and id sent 8 including the barren hen the birds were up at 11 oclock in a bitter cold north wind as the time hit 1hour 45 mins it began to snow lol yes in april i could just see 4 birds coming up the valley two broke off the other two came to me it was my pooler and the bird with him was the barren hen i timed both to be 3rd and 4th club taking the pools with the cock third club and the barren hen 4th i could do something with this hen if i can kid her i thought i sent her every race and around the 5th or 6th race i gave her a cock and slipped a pair of dummies under her she sat on them straight away ill give her a we rest then jump her in at 280 300 miles but for some reason i forgot about her until i noticed she had been sitting for 30 days on the same dummies better send her this week before she gets off them i thought the race was appledore i think it was called and it was a disaster i timed the barren hen after 14 hours on the wing to be 2nd club and all pools think was only 5or6 birds timed on the day from nearly 200 birds in our club and she scored in the fed the following week was our fed channel race from sartilly and i was looking for birds to send and was struggling as i dropped plenty in the appledore race when i looked in the barren hens box she was still sitting on the dummies i took her out the box and could not believe how well she handled big but corky the way i had read they should be for the channel so off she went to sartilly i timed her the 2nd morning to be 14 th west section and my first channel ticket and could not fathom how there was nothing out this pigeon she still handled great in the pub that night my pal vince hendry said to me are you going to the national sartilly on wed no ive nothing to send i said unless i send the barren hen i timed in the fed race today fk sake said vince three days rest and back in the basket after appledore sartilly and back to sartilly it would need to be an iron doo just to get home wed came and i wanted to go to the last old bird race of the year and the hen was still sitting the dummies and still handled great so i slipped her an egg that was chipping and sent her with vince words ringing in my ear it will need to be an iron doo just to make it home i timed her at 6 20 the second morning with the last bird timed on the result just before 6 oclock in tarbrax by jimmy muir but what a doo and what effort and enjoyment this wee bird gave me giving me my first ticket across the water and almost my first national ticket it was 3 or 4 years later before i got that but that was the type constitution in a pigeon i had been looking for alas i now know they are few and far between what guts she had and i could not get a youngster off her sods law i guess but il not forget the thrill that wee bird gave me the following year she went down in training for the gold cup broke my heart but thats doo racing guys enjoy the read

Put my appreciation on ur first post Wattie by mistake but Im sure u get the drift lol.

Well done again tho Wattie very interesting.

Any new starter or novice should read it again and pay attention. In fact experienced doo men as well come to think of it.

:drinking-coffee-200:

thanks m8 but im sure many of the members have better stories than me pigeon basics is just what we the members make of it we could all do our bit to keep it interesting miss my pigeon nights in the old railway club listening to the old doo mens stories of there time in the doos now im the old guy lol but its good to have and pass on the memories