Training Yer Doos

philg50

What does the lads on here think ,Why do you train your birds up and down the road ,Is it to make them fit ? is it to make them quicker because they are fitter ? is it to try to show them way home ? should they if any use be able to home without road training ? what happened years ago (no cars or very few) they didnt go and cycle 30 mls to train doos ? is it us thats made the whole training thing ,opinions guys

What does the lads on here think ,Why do you train your birds up and down the road ,Is it to make them fit ? is it to make them quicker because they are fitter ? is it to try to show them way home ? should they if any use be able to home without road training ? what happened years ago (no cars or very few) they didnt go and cycle 30 mls to train doos ? is it us thats made the whole training thing ,opinions guys

I gave my obs one short toss last year.They flew well around the loft so why train? Ybs is a different story, they get as many as i can before 1st race then a couple a week.The ybs need to know whats expected of them, obs have had the yb treatment so know whats expected.

was a lot easy back in those days you just took your basket of birds down to the railway station (and there was a lot more of them around) with lib details on, and off they went and liberated at the named station, went back to the station next day and picked up your returned basket, in LEVEN we had a old carriage on the station for marking race birds and were put right onto the train to the race point , all other clubs birds picked up on the way , and lib-berated at the race point,

I would say your pigeons should be fit before road training, so it is not to get them fit. I also think if they are any good they should be able to orientate and home, so it is not to teach them the road home.

Young birds are road trained to teach them what is expected, as Derek said. Old birds should know what is expected, so you would think that, apart from young birds, road training is not necessary.

Why do we road train? I think it is twofold.

Firstly, to satisfy the fancier that he is doing his part in training the pigeon.

Secondly, and more importantly, to mentally prepare the pigeons for what lies ahead. How many times have you heard a fancier remark that it is time to blow the cobwebs off the pigeons.

Thus we realise, that the pigeons, young and old, can be trained into fitness around the loft and, having the proper mindset, they should be able to home off the loft.

Roadwork prepares their mental fitness allowing them to race home and the extra motivation, be it showing a hen or giving a favoured nest condition, encourages them to do it even faster. :)

was a lot easy back in those days you just took your basket of birds down to the railway station (and there was a lot more of them around) with lib details on, and off they went and liberated at the named station, went back to the station next day and picked up your returned basket, in LEVEN we had a old carriage on the station for marking race birds and were put right onto the train to the race point , all other clubs birds picked up on the way , and lib-berated at the race point,

bring back the old days, better for the doo.s no trundlin over potholed back roads collecting birds.also lib sites would have been on the same line everytime giving better racing i would think, only downside might be like who took charge to lib or was it a set time and off they went regardless, dont know but someone will, i think the birds would have been better rested before lib mebbe,

Don’t train my old birds before racing and if I did it would be for fitness purposes only if not happy or problem with home exercise and not for education as I feel they experience that as young birds during They’re training and more importantly Racing schedule on Fed transporter which I believe is essential for them to familiarise with at a young age and also to sort themselves out (or not) in a tougher race the sooner the better !!