Long Distance The Dutch Way?

Wiley

“When you race long distances, get up very early in the morning to train your pigeons, just after sunrise. Have long distance pigeons train late at night as well.â€

What’s your thoughts on this or experiences?

a m8 of mine had great success doing this

liberated at 1st light

2 things, 1st it helped with the hawks by being on there way home

before the hawks got moving

2nd in a national race his birds were up early the 2nd day

as they were used to flying at 1st light :drinking-coffee-200:

a m8 of mine had great success doing this

liberated at 1st light

2 things, 1st it helped with the hawks by being on there way home

before the hawks got moving

2nd in a national race his birds were up early the 2nd day

as they were used to flying at 1st light :drinking-coffee-200:

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear lol

“When you race long distances, get up very early in the morning to train your pigeons, just after sunrise. Have long distance pigeons train late at night as well.â€

Barry Andrews, a great all rounder distance wise, excelled at the distance. One thing he did do was take and release 20 - 30 miles dusk time. Giving them just enough time to home.

Said they can and will fly in the dark if needs be - (Obviously very true and proven fact). Gave them an urgency to get home. If out, they learnt to cope etc. and not get stressed out.

In days when often the early bird next day won the hard and distance races, this training was a boon.

Hi Wiley

Not being cheeky but when you say the Dutch way can you name some fanciers who do this, for example it is not the arjan beens, jelle jellema , battenburg, Sarloos way. At present in holland there does seem to be birds clocked in at the night time. Previously it was limited to the npo late realease races (I.e a forced overnight race for 500 plus miles so they were fresh at dusk) . For the international races with a morning liberation there is but a handful clocked in during the night to the Netherlands but it must be said they do seem to make better use of the hours of daylight than Belgium and may indeed be flying longer into the night before roosting (or getting up earlier) . in the uk we don't get many late lib races.

If the race is a blow home the night time clock ins are more frequent.

Also be very dismissive and sceptical of the fanciers who clock in at night time and who already had a timer earlier ! Also some guys do like to be retrospectve and have a system after it has happened (commercial reason) . Jellema on his website has mentioned previously trying to teach birds to home late when racing these races with it happening with one bird on a few occasions.

i guess in the U.K. There are limited races where the aim is not a day race. Perhaps NFC Tarbes If a late lib and the longest race for each respective national.

Hi Wiley

Not being cheeky but when you say the Dutch way can you name some fanciers who do this, for example it is not the arjan beens, jelle jellema , battenburg, Sarloos way. At present in holland there does seem to be birds clocked in at the night time. Previously it was limited to the npo late realease races (I.e a forced overnight race for 500 plus miles so they were fresh at dusk) . For the international races with a morning liberation there is but a handful clocked in during the night to the Netherlands but it must be said they do seem to make better use of the hours of daylight than Belgium and may indeed be flying longer into the night before roosting (or getting up earlier) . in the uk we don't get many late lib races.

If the race is a blow home the night time clock ins are more frequent.

Also be very dismissive and sceptical of the fanciers who clock in at night time and who already had a timer earlier ! Also some guys do like to be retrospectve and have a system after it has happened (commercial reason) . Jellema on his website has mentioned previously trying to teach birds to home late when racing these races with it happening with one bird on a few occasions.

i guess in the U.K. There are limited races where the aim is not a day race. Perhaps NFC Tarbes If a late lib and the longest race for each respective national.

Glen

I took the quote from an article I read, and it was quoted being the Dutch way for long distance, my only addition to this post what was your thoughts or experiences, as it is something I am contemplating on doing training early morning just as the sun is rising, but my interest is not in two day races my interest lies in timing in on hard days when light is fading

Edited by Wiley

We race from france into Ireland the same weekend of the gold cup race and both libs have been disasters only difference is the scotch birds have 400 miles or more of land to go down and get back up we dont ...our race has been won quiet a few times early next day birds crossing and going down to get back up again and carry on....If our birds dont cross on the day very very few turn up again.

We race from france into Ireland the same weekend of the gold cup race and both libs have been disasters only difference is the scotch birds have 400 miles or more of land to go down and get back up we dont ...our race has been won quiet a few times early next day birds crossing and going down to get back up again and carry on....If our birds dont cross on the day very very few turn up again.

Why not fly lerwick to cork 637 mile plenty of land to cover

Kipps had 17 in 20 minutes after one in the morning from Barcelona.

The Canadian forces in the war years - so did the British but not quite so successful, released pigeon at night, in total darkness, in paper bags at 5000 feet.

They timed in, in the dark, from 200 - 300 miles.

Why the paper bags?

Because the wind would catch and steer it clear of the planes tail end.

So the thought of training pigeons to 'Sleep at night' is ....

early morning first light training is a great way of training , and as Wiley said the hawks still not moved , so clean run. Can only be good right :)

late night training is a good way of getting pigeons not to fear dusk, and maybe keep going that bit longer, so can also help clock late at night , only can be good right :)

and when the pigeon flies till it cant see , it perches up , then at 1st light , bang on loft ...early timer :)

think its all good...good post

atb

Mick

Any tosses i give birds usualy after lunch ,hope hawks etc have had their kill ,had to move away from line of flight as were coming broken up in ones and twos ,this last 2years tossed East maybe 15 mile and its been better.