An Idea For "bitcoin" In Pigeon Racing

Kyleakin Lofts

An Idea for ’Bitcoin’ in Pigeon Racing

by

John Clements Stockport

A few years ago, when I was a member of the Midlands National FC committee I suggested an idea for improved administration and the structure of the club. At the time the MNFC consisted of only four sections - N West - N East - South West and South East. I was not as confident then as I am now - Generally I would say I deferred to those on the committee who were longer serving and senior to myself thinking it was they who automatically knew best. Nevertheless, I assumed they were, like myself, motivated for the success of pigeon racing and the success of the club.

Section Secretaries

My idea was that each of the four sections had its own secretary and that their responsibility was to compile a result of their section including section pools and section prizes. At the same time as the section secretaries there would be an overall secretary running in parallel whose responsibility was to compile the open result from information downloaded from each of the four section secretaries this time adding open pool money and open prize money.

Reduction of possible Fraud.

One of the thoughts behind my suggestion was that the club would then have five people who were so familiar with the system, methods and the club structure the MNFC would never again be desperate for a secretary. With five totally schooled administrators a 'stand in’ or replacement should sickness or a resignation take place would never be a problem again. Another aspect common to many clubs would also be largely avoided - that of a single unsupervised central secretary being able to easily defraud the club or steal the club’s money.

At the time I also worked out a method of how to reward each of the secretaries, but I will get to that later.

A Later Conclusion

Many years later and with really new ideas about the status of money or cash in the world I have taken another look at my original idea. I have come to the conclusion that my idea of spreading the duties of the secretary across the club and into every section is in parts similar to the new Block Chain technology idea that is the basis of ‘Bitcoin’ or digital currency. ‘Bitcoin’ owns its legitimacy by not being centralised but spread across all those who use it. What is more ‘Bitcoin’ miners like section secretaries will be able to check their workings and the work of others against the final open result.

The Future

Pigeon Racing, because we race the ring with a unique number and not the bird itself, lends itself to a pigeon kind of ‘Block Chain’ technology that together with some kind of ETS computer registration will be able to follow every stage from initial ringing of a bird to clocking that same ring in races. The more people that can check the progress of every ring in every race for the active life of that ring the better so eventually a digital data base for every ring will be possible. You would just have to type in a ring number and up would pop the entire life history of that particular ring attached to that particular bird.

Payment for secretaries.

In this new system section secretaries would be paid using the following system. A specified deduction from every section pool plus a deduction from every entry fee so section secretaries would be encouraged to promote pools and entries in their particular section so that sections may compete for which section was the better run section. The same will apply to overall secretaries. every overall secretary will receive a deduction from every open pool and every entry. This obviously would encourage open pools to be won right down the open result not as it is now confined to a few at the top. I envisage a system similar to the present Belgian system of pools at 1 in every four pigeons - in in every eight and one in every ten or so on, not just as now where open pools are preferred by those sections that are thought to be in a good position.

Conclusion

If and when pigeon racing really got clever there is no reason why different pigeon countries could not link with each other to enable a massive Block Chain data base where pedigree ring numbers in adverts or auctions could easily be checked across the whole world and perhaps what is more important super individual pigeons could then be identified resulting in the demise of strain names as a selling identifier and now substituting top individual pigeons within those families as being the item upon which sales and price are based. There is no reason why a new pigeon currency cannot emerge based on the ring or band. A ‘Bit ring’ or ‘Bit band’ with a fluctuating market value could be a new world-wide pigeon currency for the sale of pigeons worldwide.

Only for the Few

All this because of a thought I had long ago that a secretary in every section of the MNFC might be step forward for the MNFC than secretarial control being in the hands of one man or one woman as it is today. I realise such thinking is way out in the future and because it is not of immediate concern no one will put much thought into it - nevertheless the idea is now out and for the few who have the rare habit of chewing on outrageous future ideas it may be a bit interesting.

This would work perfectly, for feather merchants,and birds that are winning can be checked out and what competition it took part in, all pointing to large federation wins, club results would only be a secondary option, the reasons being, big studs win races, they have the birdage,they have the winning bird so they hold the golden goose, to sell its young, and family's from this will be like hens teeth to most in the sport and big studs, would still control any winning of big races. be it a van loon or a janson, they have them all, big entries from them makes them control the outcome.