Tobacco Stalks

As I'm just starting up I was going to use Tobacco Stalks as nesting material,not yet as I'm not ready for pairing up. I've read the benefits about it keeping mites and lice from the birds,but as I've bought a box of it in not sure how I should use it,may seem silly,what I mean is it's very long and stiff,I'm wondering how the birds will be able to use it to build a nest. Am I supposed to cut it up or soak it first?. Or have I got a bad box?. I'd love to hear from some of you that use this.

Paul

As I'm just starting up I was going to use Tobacco Stalks as nesting material,not yet as I'm not ready for pairing up. I've read the benefits about it keeping mites and lice from the birds,but as I've bought a box of it in not sure how I should use it,may seem silly,what I mean is it's very long and stiff,I'm wondering how the birds will be able to use it to build a nest. Am I supposed to cut it up or soak it first?. Or have I got a bad box?. I'd love to hear from some of you that use this.

Paul

I use tobacco stalks I cut them in half before giving them to the birds.

Just checked some of your previous posts Paul. You can phone me anytime you want to and I'll do my best to help you or put you onto someone who will be able to help you if I can't.

I'll see you soon at the next Fed meeting in February, once Mick has given me your contact details. :)

Is £16 a box about the price of them ? I remember one year in the 80s i grew tobbacco in the garden myself ,start it of in the green house and plant it out like an annual ,it grew plants about 5ft tall with big leaves after flowering cut and hang up in shed to dry ,it did smoke but strong jesus !!