A Look Into The Future

Kyleakin Lofts

A Look into the Future

by

John Clements

The future of the pigeon sport appears bleak at the moment. If we look at the Hall report commissioned by the RPRA and examine the recommendations in that report it appears fanciers and organisations made up by fanciers - are not really good at organising. That is why outside bodies and outside managers are required to manage.

All this is as it is now but in the future things could be entirely different. The running and the management of pigeon racing may be privatised and fanciers would then be customers of those who sell the technology and organise racing. .

How it could possibly work is for a very minute chip to be inserted into the neck of every Pigeon. This chip could monitor blood pressure - heart beat - and the complete physical condition of the pigeon. This chip could also tell if the pigeon was affected by drugs or other performance enhancing substances.

The chip and the software involved with the chip would of course be covered by copyright regulations so in fact it would be owned by the company that manufactured and sold the chip. . What this would mean that as the owner of the physical pigeon you would not own the chip. You would in fact be only racing the chipped bird under licence and did not in fact not own it.

As we all know even today - you race the identification ring not the pigeon. This takes this concept of today to another level where you may be in breach of copyright if you gave the pigeon anything that the chip adversely detected; anything that may affect its performance or health.

All this will happen when technology is advanced enough to follow the path of a an individual pigeon as it makes its way home. When this technology arrives the chip and racing will be merged and fanciers will no longer be in charge of the organisation of the sport. There will be so much money involved in betting - in advertising - in all sorts of other ways that the firms or firm that controls the chip technology will also want to organise the whole management and enterprise of the sport.

For the ordinary fancier this will mean he will just turns up at the club - has his pigeon scanned - if he is a top fancier accept appearance money and enter the race. If he is well known he will have written into his contract the obligation to be interviewed on the TV. If he is an ordinary fancier he will be encouraged to take part by the superb facilities of the venue. These superb facilities will include a restaurant - car parking - something for the children and everything for his family to enjoy every time he races his pigeons.

Of course I am looking into the future but almost certainly large companies with a staff to manage everything efficiently will emerge to run this sport of ours. This will probably happen within in the next fifty years. Certainly not more than that.

yep couldn't agree more, time for feds merging or will soon be going down to racepoints with a transit van.

Scotland is to small membership wise and birdcage wise to sustain doo racing . .......as it is at the moment....biggest cost in doo racing is the cost of actually getting the doos to the race point.........why not fill up transporter.......let's face it ....how many fed transporter go down the full????)))

As for races later in year.........yes you are right .....maybe a transit van ......yes that may well be required,

A Look into the Future

by

John Clements

The future of the pigeon sport appears bleak at the moment. If we look at the Hall report commissioned by the RPRA and examine the recommendations in that report it appears fanciers and organisations made up by fanciers - are not really good at organising. That is why outside bodies and outside managers are required to manage.

All this is as it is now but in the future things could be entirely different. The running and the management of pigeon racing may be privatised and fanciers would then be customers of those who sell the technology and organise racing. .

How it could possibly work is for a very minute chip to be inserted into the neck of every Pigeon. This chip could monitor blood pressure - heart beat - and the complete physical condition of the pigeon. This chip could also tell if the pigeon was affected by drugs or other performance enhancing substances.

The chip and the software involved with the chip would of course be covered by copyright regulations so in fact it would be owned by the company that manufactured and sold the chip. . What this would mean that as the owner of the physical pigeon you would not own the chip. You would in fact be only racing the chipped bird under licence and did not in fact not own it.

As we all know even today - you race the identification ring not the pigeon. This takes this concept of today to another level where you may be in breach of copyright if you gave the pigeon anything that the chip adversely detected; anything that may affect its performance or health.

All this will happen when technology is advanced enough to follow the path of a an individual pigeon as it makes its way home. When this technology arrives the chip and racing will be merged and fanciers will no longer be in charge of the organisation of the sport. There will be so much money involved in betting - in advertising - in all sorts of other ways that the firms or firm that controls the chip technology will also want to organise the whole management and enterprise of the sport.

For the ordinary fancier this will mean he will just turns up at the club - has his pigeon scanned - if he is a top fancier accept appearance money and enter the race. If he is well known he will have written into his contract the obligation to be interviewed on the TV. If he is an ordinary fancier he will be encouraged to take part by the superb facilities of the venue. These superb facilities will include a restaurant - car parking - something for the children and everything for his family to enjoy every time he races his pigeons.

Of course I am looking into the future but almost certainly large companies with a staff to manage everything efficiently will emerge to run this sport of ours. This will probably happen within in the next fifty years. Certainly not more than that.

Space age stuff this then huh 50 years you recon that will make me 130 :emoticon-0140-rofl:

This use of technology may make the sport more interesting to the fancier but that will not stop the decline in my opinion.

Here's a thought.

If the technology could be used to create a small live tracking device which utilised the existing mobile telecom network. In relative terms this is a small advance from existing technology and could utilise the live ring system we presently use.

Why do this to save the sport............simple.............money.........or should I say income.

If we are able to do live tracking of birds in a race then via the Internet we can have constant updating as a race developed.

I believe that commercial betting industry would then be interested in the potential income of regular racing which Joe Public could bet on and watch the racing. With the right publicity and management costs could be covered and, God forbid, some useful prise money could be put up. My experience is that once people can see a reward is possible for racing any thing then a sport gets sponsorship and thrives.

For examples look at horse racing, F1 and may more.

Anyway that's my 10 bobs worth.

There needs to be a few breakthroughs and converting of minds maybe but the above may save our sport and secure its future.

Get the public hooked and we survive. :drinking-coffee-200:

This use of technology may make the sport more interesting to the fancier but that will not stop the decline in my opinion.

Here's a thought.

If the technology could be used to create a small live tracking device which utilised the existing mobile telecom network. In relative terms this is a small advance from existing technology and could utilise the live ring system we presently use.

Why do this to save the sport............simple.............money.........or should I say income.

If we are able to do live tracking of birds in a race then via the Internet we can have constant updating as a race developed.

I believe that commercial betting industry would then be interested in the potential income of regular racing which Joe Public could bet on and watch the racing. With the right publicity and management costs could be covered and, God forbid, some useful prise money could be put up. My experience is that once people can see a reward is possible for racing any thing then a sport gets sponsorship and thrives.

For examples look at horse racing, F1 and may more.

Anyway that's my 10 bobs worth.

There needs to be a few breakthroughs and converting of minds maybe but the above may save our sport and secure its future.

Get the public hooked and we survive. :drinking-coffee-200:

Excellent point and perhaps the way forward. Money into the sport and probably more participants. :)

• 1 year later...

https://www.sky-leader.com

So from my suggestion above it seems technology is gaining in its ability to provide individual tracking of birds in flight.

We are still not there though as the size and cost of these rings is prohibitive to 99% of the fanciers around the world.

History has shown that technology reduces cost, size and weight of all electronic devices once prototypes are developed and the market demand is established so these types of rings could be reduced in size and weight if the market dictated the demand.

This is the way to get a mass audience back into pigeon racing if the commercial betting industry was brought on board and the media interest was propagated.

Think of the number of one loft races that for starters would relish 'live' monitoring of the race birds progress.

I believe this is a solution to turning the tide of decline of the sport and actually getting Joe public and sponsorship money to relight our dying hobby.

So what can the fancy do to grasp this possible saving grace ?

Very interesting, the only drawback seems to be they have to get home to be able to download the info. At £190 for the 10 ring setup, the initial outlay is £19 / ring. Quite expensive for some, especially if the percy gets them.

Tiawan is one of the areas where pigeon racing is booming, so the technology will become cheaper and perhaps not too long until it becomes live tracking. :)

https://www.sky-leader.com

So from my suggestion above it seems technology is gaining in its ability to provide individual tracking of birds in flight.

We are still not there though as the size and cost of these rings is prohibitive to 99% of the fanciers around the world.

History has shown that technology reduces cost, size and weight of all electronic devices once prototypes are developed and the market demand is established so these types of rings could be reduced in size and weight if the market dictated the demand.

This is the way to get a mass audience back into pigeon racing if the commercial betting industry was brought on board and the media interest was propagated.

Think of the number of one loft races that for starters would relish 'live' monitoring of the race birds progress.

I believe this is a solution to turning the tide of decline of the sport and actually getting Joe public and sponsorship money to relight our dying hobby.

So what can the fancy do to grasp this possible saving grace ?

Can’t see how this would benefit the common Fancier ? The problems of high losses due to birds of prey or illness and rising costs which are driving a lot of guys out the game would still be there

On the contrary, if you track a bird and they are taken you have a record of how many and where. With commercial wealth at stake and Joe Public being intereted in the birds fate you now have a valid argument for control and raised awareness generally. Imagine if some large perditor was able to take down a race horse during a race lol. My money would be on it being eliminated within hours.

But that is hyperthectical right now.

What is not is the reality that our sport needs fresh thinking and some means of making non fanciers care at its demise.

As I said this is my suggestion as to how we become a 21st century sport for the masses not a forgotten chapter of history.

So I have written to the manufacturer regards some ideas of what may be possible and positives for them and us. I contacted a number of British software and electronic development companies but hit negativity which is not unusual.

It is always easier to say no than rise to a challenge but far less rewarding.

Onward for me anyway.

Another thought regarding your concern regarding cost, we are all members of the various unions who if commercial betting and sponsorship could be achieved could apply a percentage fee which could be used to supplement/support the existing and new fanciers in the sport.

Just do the maths, thousands of pigeons race every weeks, betting on weekly or prestigious races could raise substantial amounts. What fanciers would not turn down a chance to win good prise money every week which was paid by a betting company for the rights/franchise to promote the race.

Member in every club used to do their 'pools' why wouldn't betting folk in existing shops or on line users, and, they get to watch 'their birds' progress.

???

On the contrary, if you track a bird and they are taken you have a record of how many and where. With commercial wealth at stake and Joe Public being intereted in the birds fate you now have a valid argument for control and raised awareness generally. Imagine if some large perditor was able to take down a race horse during a race lol. My money would be on it being eliminated within hours.

But that is hyperthectical right now.

What is not is the reality that our sport needs fresh thinking and some means of making non fanciers care at its demise.

As I said this is my suggestion as to how we become a 21st century sport for the masses not a forgotten chapter of history.

So I have written to the manufacturer regards some ideas of what may be possible and positives for them and us. I contacted a number of British software and electronic development companies but hit negativity which is not unusual.

It is always easier to say no than rise to a challenge but far less rewarding.

Onward for me anyway.

Excellent!!! Really good to see that someone is making an attempt. Do you think they would sponsor nine of set-ups that could be used by the Federations? Solway, Pentland, North West, North of Scotland / Aberdeen, Lanarkshire, Fife, Dundee / Angus, Ayrshire and Almond Valley /Central / Midlothian. If they would sponsor or give a reduced price, perhaps between the Federations / SHU we could begin to collect some info to assist the future of the sport. :)

If tracking was supported in pigeon racing you would have 2 problems from the same source, first we would find out the birds are getting eaten by bop then the rspb would call in the cruelty mob to get pigeon racing banned , expose them and they will go full pelt on getting rid of you.