Pigeon Wellbeing Advice Needed

frank frank

Hi, please accept my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section, but I was after a little advice from some of the experts on here if I may?

My father-in-law keeps 'tumbler' pigeons in two separate coops, around 30 in all, and with him not being internet savvy, has asked me if I can find any advice for him as they're a little poorly at the moment.

He's had them for around 4 years with no real problems, but says they're "hunched up" and are occasionally coughing up their food right now.

They're also experiencing problems with their balance now, hence he's extremely worried about them.

A friend of his suggested Potassium Permanganate for their drinking water, but I've read up about it online and it appears it is more something you put into their bath water to rid them of lice or ticks, so I think he's maybe been misinformed regarding that.

He is wondering if there is a tonic or medicine of some sort available that he can buy to pop into their drinking water?

Does anybody recognise these ailments I've described, and perhaps more importantly, do you know of a suitable tonic I could get online for him to treat it?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards.

Hi, please accept my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section, but I was after a little advice from some of the experts on here if I may?

My father-in-law keeps 'tumbler' pigeons in two separate coops, around 30 in all, and with him not being internet savvy, has asked me if I can find any advice for him as they're a little poorly at the moment.

He's had them for around 4 years with no real problems, but says they're "hunched up" and are occasionally coughing up their food right now.

They're also experiencing problems with their balance now, hence he's extremely worried about them.

A friend of his suggested Potassium Permanganate for their drinking water, but I've read up about it online and it appears it is more something you put into their bath water to rid them of lice or ticks, so I think he's maybe been misinformed regarding that.

He is wondering if there is a tonic or medicine of some sort available that he can buy to pop into their drinking water?

Does anybody recognise these ailments I've described, and perhaps more importantly, do you know of a suitable tonic I could get online for him to treat it?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards.

does he jag them for paramaxo

Baytril or amoxicillin mate

Thanks ever so much for the speedy reply buddy, that's great.

Is Baytril something he could easily find in the shops (he lives in Birmingham), as I've looked online and it appears I can only buy it from Thailand or the United States - which would obviously take a long time to arrive?

Failing that, could he obtain it from his local vet?

If its paramyxovirus then neither Baytril, Parastop, nor Amoxicillin will cure this as antibiotics cannot treat a virus, these will only treat any secondary bacterial infection and could make the situation worse

If it is paramyxovirus then you need to support the birds with vitamins / electrolytes in the water, ( they will be drinking a lot of water ) and feed them on pellets only which are digested easily and will stop them scattering food everywhere when they are sick which will help reduce spread of virus when other birds eat spewed up corn

The loft floor will be wet so the slops need to be scraped up and floor dried of with gas burner then a scattering of staloson F or shavings applied daily

If it is paramyxovirus there is no short cut to a cure but you should see some improvement after about 3 weeks, i assume they have not been vaccinated previously against this so in the interim some will probably die and any that display twisted necks etc will not fully recover and should be culled

Hopefully after a month or so the virus will have run its course and most of the birds will have survived or recovered when they should then be vaccinated with Nobilis or Colombo-vac where this should be ongoing on an annual basis

Some may not agree with the above advice but that is how I would proceed having had some experience with this viral disease on an occasional basis since it first came on the scene in 1983 ( above assuming it is paramyxo ) where it Deffo sounds like it

Hope this helps

He said yes to both mate.

Thanks ever so much for all your quick help and advice everyone, it's been really appreciated.

I've told him to ask his vet for a 10-day course to treat Paramoxo.

You chaps are stars! Thank you.

He said yes to both mate.

Thanks ever so much for all your quick help and advice everyone, it's been really appreciated.

I've told him to ask his vet for a 10-day course to treat Paramoxo.

You chaps are stars! Thank you.

Paramyxo is a notifiable disease so if you go to your vet and mention this he will report it to DEFRA

Just something to consider

Apologies for being a pain here, but is their dog (an 8-year old little Westie) in any danger from this?

The pigeons are let out twice a day for an hour or so, morning and afternoon.

They generally fly off for around twenty minutes, then spend the rest of their time out mooching around the garden, having a bath, collecting bits of foliage for nesting etc before going back in.

Obviously the dog shares the garden too (but not while they're out), so should they be worried for her?

Same for Paratyphoid ,as I said I could be wrong,everyone reads a book differently.If it is PMV they wouldn't be out flying,mine had PMV back in the eighties,never again I hope.

Paratyphoid usually comes about when climate is hotter and babies in nest could be wrong but don’t think he has jagged these birds

Same for Paratyphoid ,as I said I could be wrong,everyone reads a book differently.If it is PMV they wouldn't be out flying,mine had PMV back in the eighties,never again I hope.

I spoke to him on the phone earlier and he said they've been out ok today, but are still hunched up etc. But they happily went out.

He also dried the coop floor right out before putting them back in.

Buster sent me a nice PM earlier recommending a vet in Wednesbury, so I've taken that vet's phone number and he's going to phone them first tomorrow before possibly going to his local vet, so he can explain exactly what the problem is and see what they recommend.

All you guys have been extremely helpful and he's very grateful.

He loves his birds, but is a bit old fashioned when it comes to knowledge.