Advice On Buying Doos For 600Mile

Ryan Hay

Hi was hoping for a bit of advice. I would love to clock a national Doo from France which is 600+miles up here. Would you guys buy from local lads clocking at the distance? or is there a strain/family of birds anyone would recommend for 600miles

Thanks in advance

Hi was hoping for a bit of advice. I would love to clock a national Doo from France which is 600+miles up here. Would you guys buy from local lads clocking at the distance? or is there a strain/family of birds anyone would recommend for 600miles

Thanks in advance

Ryan the fancier I would go to is Davie McDougal you dinna appreciate his performances from the 600 mile races until to speak to the man himself. That's only my opinion but if I had to pick a loft from up here it would be his hope this helps you pal.

You have plenty choice of top distance fanciers in north sec, John Thomson Spey bay has yearlings competing but don't think you have to go local good distance birds and fanciers all over the country.

I also don't think there is a system for 500/600 ml racing just motivated pigeons fed for the job ahead .jmo

You have plenty choice of top distance fanciers in north sec, John Thomson Spey bay has yearlings competing but don't think you have to go local good distance birds and fanciers all over the country.

I also don't think there is a system for 500/600 ml racing just motivated pigeons fed for the job ahead .jmo

Do you not think motivation and feeding come under the heading of system ?

Do you not think motivation and feeding come under the heading of system ?

System to me refers to a flyers weekly racing system ie training type of racing widowhood ,celibate ,natural.

Just my opinion but not ment to be controversial , fed racing yes definatly need a system not sure a system makes a bird fly 16 hours ! As I say just my opinion .

System to me refers to a flyers weekly racing system ie training type of racing widowhood ,celibate ,natural.

Just my opinion but not ment to be controversial , fed racing yes definatly need a system not sure a system makes a bird fly 16 hours ! As I say just my opinion .

No controversy mate,all roads and all that etc.

Thanks in advance

[/quote

takes time Ryan, look around to see who's getting them up near you or around you, because the chances are they have had them a long time, go and take a look at them if possible , ask all about the back ground of the birds how they feed, train, and exercise and race them, I can only speak for our own loft but regular times , for feeding, training and exercising the birds helps, and good corn, don't feed rubbish, and don't take to many chances with them, hope this helps , podgy

Thanks in advance

Good post Ryan as there is a great history of 600 milers in the North of Scotland. Now there will be guys better qualified than me , but here's my take on it

Firstly good luck as it could be long journey as 600 milers are as scarce as rocking horse's sh*ï¸âƒ£te. Secondly, local has worked for me so I would try and buy

a cock and two hens from different section winners and pair the offspring half-brother to half-sister. Maybe am biased but the charity sale on here at the moment is exceptional, full of 600 ml blood. The closer you get to blood the better .The late great Eddie Newcombe said if you have pot of white paint and you put a drop of black in it will never be white again. Third go softly as youngsters. (YB racing proves nothing except cutting the feed bill ). Then race them hard as yearlings to 450-500 MLS Don't burn them out with club races just a few to 200-300 MLS then lift em 200mls or so . Ur better being left with two or three honest doos than a loft full of posers . These days nae racing is easy just enjoy no politics . Am lucky to be in a great club where at one count there were nine guys that had won the section in National and three of them have won 1st open way up here. One thing was they all believed they could win it Aye its nae easy racing against feckin fanatics lol. Aw the best Ryan

Nae that i know much about it but IMO you cant buy sucsess and if you do you have been lucky ,like me i bought what i could afford and yes fancied ,i think i have been back now 4-5 year and out of that time lucky if i i have flown 360 mile but this last year my doos were nae quick but iwas happy ,private toss tae Coventry with 6 with relations going home from holls seen me get 4 back + 1 hurt ,next year 2018 i will probably race lightly again due tae health but i intend joining the SNFC and hopefully have some of the 4 tae put i may have lost them or 300 mile but i have tried ,and lets be honest we have as much chance as anyone up here going by 2017 SNFC results if ye lose yer doos you wont be the only one LOL.Easy easy catch the monkey is that the saying.

It is not easy to get birds from 500/600 mls no matter where you live , but be patient you will get there but it can be painful when you think you have it Sussed then bang your hopefuls are gone but keep going there is no better feeling than timing on the night .

Best of luck .

well said philg, you have to try, i sent two nestmates bred down from birds i bocht from a very good nat flyer to buckinghan y/b nat two yr ago , no show until 3 wks later the hen turned up the worse for wear n no sighn o the cockbird, if you dinna send yill never know, ill de tryin again tho n this time itll be birds off the van wanrouy of jim able o whitehills that have produced the good hens for me , ive owned the cock for 11yr an hese still fillin. :animatedpigeons:

well said philg, you have to try, i sent two nestmates bred down from birds i bocht from a very good nat flyer to buckinghan y/b nat two yr ago , no show until 3 wks later the hen turned up the worse for wear n no sighn o the cockbird, if you dinna send yill never know, ill de tryin again tho n this time itll be birds off the van wanrouy of jim able o whitehills that have produced the good hens for me , ive owned the cock for 11yr an hese still fillin. :animatedpigeons:

Is this the same van Wanroy that you gifted me?

aye dal but gifted is aboot right in a noondaboot wy, hiv yi still got her min.

Yes Dave she is a stotter....big strong hen....3yr old this year going for a silver award hopefully. Ypres as a yearling and gold cup last year 7.21 next am in the pushing rain.....top stuff

aye thats the wee hen, it wisnae her fault that day, a howler oot o rotherham blew them ower and ime glad she landed in good hands, lots didnae, it was a bad day for the north, ime hopin for her to get her awards cus she deserves them and mebbe an egg or two in the next season, eh dal :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Lol Mae chance.....she didnt even land at mine it was a complete mix up with ring numbers and I ended up shutting her up for 4months thinking she was oors lol.....nevermind she has done you proud