Shu

Froog

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent 20 years trying to change things at fed level when I was young and keen,only to fall on deaf ears, pigeon men dont like change,

why would I travel 200 mls round trip to be shot down.

Total agreement here, came back last year after 22 years out of sport, to find its the same as when I left.....no change....brick wall/head comes to mind

Listen to what Tommy said, The SHU Delegates will be recommending a reduction in Membership Fee at the AGM. I also know that Walter puts in quite a mileage and I know he has not missed many meeting over the last three or four years since I have been a Delegate.

We realise that the cost of racing pigeons is expensive and are looking at ways of reducing this at SHU level. :)

I do not know the answer to that.I have been told several times over the past few years that pigeon racing is in the hands of old men.I plead guilty to that I am f****** ancient and I would stand down tomorrow if any younger man could be persuaded to take over.

Now that we're in the age of internet, let's use it to our advantage. Why cant there be more involvement online, most people nowadays

have access to a computer and if the right questions were asked then surely a better representation of fanciers wishes can be then be voted on at meeting level, also to cut down on workload and postage costs paperwork can be sent online, of course anyone outwith access to computer can request postal delivery

Listen to what Tommy said, The SHU Delegates will be recommending a reduction in Membership Fee at the AGM. I also know that Walter puts in quite a mileage and I know he has not missed many meeting over the last three or four years since I have been a Delegate.

We realise that the cost of racing pigeons is expensive and are looking at ways of reducing this at SHU level. :)

Its not all about cutting a few quid off fees...............surely part of their job is to attract new members? fight for members rights in council disputes etc? not just take fees for rings etc. if they did this I'm sure no one would grudge the extra ring prices etc.........but they sit in their cozy jobs and seem to do nothing

THE SHU FEES SHOULD BE CHEEPER

FOR WHAT WE GET FROM THEM

RINGS SHOULD BE HALF THE PRICE

AS THAY ALL MUST COME FROM THE SAME PLACE AS THE NWHU

HOW WE ALL KNOW CHARGE 15p

ALSO TO TRANSFAIR A BIRD £1,50 NWHU THE PRICE OF A STAMP

COME ON HOW ARE THAY TRYING TO KID DO THAY THINK THE MEMBERS

ARE DAFT

ALSO LIKE IT HAS BEEN SAID IT SHOULD GO ROUND IN A CIRCUIT

THEN THERE COULD BE A BETTER CHANCE OF PEOPLE GOING TO THERE

MEETINGS SO SAY 200 MIL TRIP BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LADS THAT

ARE FUTHER NORTH A LOT MORE THAN THAT

I DONT BELEVE IN POSTAL VOTING THESE ARE EASLY FIXED

OR THAY CAN SAY IT GOT LOST IN THE POST OMO

:drinking-coffee-200:

Is that the same Tommy that said in an earlier post Quote, (a reduction in the membership is a step in the right direction), unquote

Surely this guy doesn't have an influence on the scottish racing pigeon scene!!!

Is that the same Tommy that said in an earlier post Quote, (a reduction in the membership is a step in the right direction), unquote

Surely this guy doesn't have an influence on the scottish racing pigeon scene!!!

I think Tommy missed out the word fees and meant to say Quote, a reduction in membership FEES is a step in the right direction, Unquote

Now that we're in the age of internet, let's use it to our advantage. Why cant there be more involvement online, most people nowadays

have access to a computer and if the right questions were asked then surely a better representation of fanciers wishes can be then be voted on at meeting level, also to cut down on workload and postage costs paperwork can be sent online, of course anyone outwith access to computer can request postal delivery

I do not know the answer to that.I have been told several times over the past few years that pigeon racing is in the hands of old men.I plead guilty to that I am f****** ancient and I would stand down tomorrow if any younger man could be persuaded to take over.

Walter you are a credit to your Fed and the SHU. If it was not for people like you who give up the time to travel to the meetings Scottish Pigeon Racing would be in a sorry state. I despair when I read some of the comments on Pigeon Basics. Thank goodness some of us still try for the sake of Scottish Pigeon Racing.

This is being worked on at the moment, so we are on track. :)

Its not all about cutting a few quid off fees...............surely part of their job is to attract new members? fight for members rights in council disputes etc? not just take fees for rings etc. if they did this I'm sure no one would grudge the extra ring prices etc.........but they sit in their cozy jobs and seem to do nothing

Hopefully cutting a few quid off fees may help the member situation, I believe we are the only union to reduce fees.

If your delegate is not fighting for your rights, then change your delegate. I know that I raise issues on behalf of my Federation, but also issues I hear about from elsewhere.

I certainly don't have a cozy job, like all the delegates, I am a volunteer. :)

THE SHU FEES SHOULD BE CHEEPER

FOR WHAT WE GET FROM THEM

RINGS SHOULD BE HALF THE PRICE

AS THAY ALL MUST COME FROM THE SAME PLACE AS THE NWHU

HOW WE ALL KNOW CHARGE 15p

ALSO TO TRANSFAIR A BIRD £1,50 NWHU THE PRICE OF A STAMP

COME ON HOW ARE THAY TRYING TO KID DO THAY THINK THE MEMBERS

ARE DAFT

ALSO LIKE IT HAS BEEN SAID IT SHOULD GO ROUND IN A CIRCUIT

THEN THERE COULD BE A BETTER CHANCE OF PEOPLE GOING TO THERE

MEETINGS SO SAY 200 MIL TRIP BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LADS THAT

ARE FUTHER NORTH A LOT MORE THAN THAT

I DONT BELEVE IN POSTAL VOTING THESE ARE EASLY FIXED

OR THAY CAN SAY IT GOT LOST IN THE POST OMO

Kevin, these things are being looked at. The council are taking on board your concerns, but like any other organisation, change takes time. Making too many changes could completely "upset the apple cart" and it is the delegates responsibility to pay due diligence. :)

I think Tommy missed out the word fees and meant to say Quote, a reduction in membership FEES is a step in the right direction, Unquote

Spot on Davy, we are all listening and working towards a common goal. :)

Hopefully cutting a few quid off fees may help the member situation, I believe we are the only union to reduce fees.

If your delegate is not fighting for your rights, then change your delegate. I know that I raise issues on behalf of my Federation, but also issues I hear about from elsewhere.

I certainly don't have a cozy job, like all the delegates, I am a volunteer. :)

THE SHU is the dearest for fees and rings so are u saying the fees will be reduced to £3-50 what about rings to £1-50 and transf cost of a stamp no don't think so its a big rip off all feds in Scotland should start looking at cutting costs for members maybe the way forward is all join NWHU AND LEAVE SHU FOOD FOR THOUGHT

THE SHU is the dearest for fees and rings so are u saying the fees will be reduced to £3-50 what about rings to £1-50 and transf cost of a stamp no don't think so its a big rip off all feds in Scotland should start looking at cutting costs for members maybe the way forward is all join NWHU AND LEAVE SHU FOOD FOR THOUGHT

That may very well be the case Allan, but I'm sure your delegates wouldn't savour the extra distance to travel to meetings. I think the delegates who have made comment on here accept that there is work to do, but leaving the union will not solve the problem, the work will still be required to be carried out.

Think of an apple pie and sharing it between 80 members. You will all receive a very small skliff of pie. The same scenario dividing the pie amongst 10 members and you will all receive a far larger piece. Apply the thought to the costs of operating a governing body and you realise why Club fees are rising to meet costs. This carries through to Federation and Union. The SHU may have been slow to react, but "better late than never". Making comparisons between other Unions also does not work because the logistics are completely different.

A far better question is, do you want Scotland to have its own independent Union? If so, do you think the Union requires premises for fanciers to attend, just as any National organisation has? Do you want these premises to be manned full time? There are more and they will be asked and answers considered. :)

I am not long home from the Solway Fed. AGM.where mostly internal matters were discussed which are of little interest to this forum.However despite my protests about my venerable age I was re-elected as Vice President and delegate to the SHU.When I find myself driving the 65 miles or so back to theSolwayfrom the central belt on a dark rainy miserable winter evening I can look forward to reflecting on my good fortune to have landed such a cosy job.

That may very well be the case Allan, but I'm sure your delegates wouldn't savour the extra distance to travel to meetings. I think the delegates who have made comment on here accept that there is work to do, but leaving the union will not solve the problem, the work will still be required to be carried out.

Think of an apple pie and sharing it between 80 members. You will all receive a very small skliff of pie. The same scenario dividing the pie amongst 10 members and you will all receive a far larger piece. Apply the thought to the costs of operating a governing body and you realise why Club fees are rising to meet costs. This carries through to Federation and Union. The SHU may have been slow to react, but "better late than never". Making comparisons between other Unions also does not work because the logistics are completely different.

A far better question is, do you want Scotland to have its own independent Union? If so, do you think the Union requires premises for fanciers to attend, just as any National organisation has? Do you want these premises to be manned full time? There are more and they will be asked and answers considered. :)

Andy I do not buy SHU rings I refuse to be ripped off no company in the world could run paying 2 peoples wages economics just don't work there is many like me who wont take SHU rings end of

I am not long home from the Solway Fed. AGM.where mostly internal matters were discussed which are of little interest to this forum.However despite my protests about my venerable age I was re-elected as Vice President and delegate to the SHU.When I find myself driving the 65 miles or so back to theSolwayfrom the central belt on a dark rainy miserable winter evening I can look forward to reflecting on my good fortune to have landed such a cosy job.

Congratulations Walter, you must be doing something right.

Their's no question that the natives are restless.. :emoticon-0136-giggle: Everything costs money, that's just life but if you were running a business and you lose clients every year, theirs no way you should be paying your staff more money. ( NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT THE STAFF, I THINK THEY ARE GREAT )Id say the way forward is being paid a basic wage then bonuses per member, this would encourage the SHU to try and get more members into the sport.Secondly, if you are running a business and your staff aren't needed then you pay them off,or offer them something else that is in accordance with the amount of work you have, simple as that.These are harsh words that most people are frightened to say in the fear of upsetting this and that but I can guarantee this, every single SHU member will agree with this statement. So, WHY AREN'T THINGS SORTED? The SHU is only as good as its delegates and I do believe change is on its way as we have 2 decent ones in Andy and Tommy. They certainly aren't nodding dogs and aren't frightened to bring members issues up. The price of everything is dictated by the office/staff running costs, its easy to work it out and should be easily modified as well.

Other issues 1. Id have a ballot vote available for the AGM. 2. Id have a chip and pin machine in the SHU office so members can pay directly over the phone and this in turn keeps everything in black and white and accountable.3. the Appeal committee made up of unbiased people not associated with the SHU. 4. Distances should be free as they are with other organisations. Rant over :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Their's no question that the natives are restless.. :emoticon-0136-giggle: Everything costs money, that's just life but if you were running a business and you lose clients every year, theirs no way you should be paying your staff more money. ( NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT THE STAFF, I THINK THEY ARE GREAT )Id say the way forward is being paid a basic wage then bonuses per member, this would encourage the SHU to try and get more members into the sport.Secondly, if you are running a business and your staff aren't needed then you pay them off,or offer them something else that is in accordance with the amount of work you have, simple as that.These are harsh words that most people are frightened to say in the fear of upsetting this and that but I can guarantee this, every single SHU member will agree with this statement. So, WHY AREN'T THINGS SORTED? The SHU is only as good as its delegates and I do believe change is on its way as we have 2 decent ones in Andy and Tommy. They certainly aren't nodding dogs and aren't frightened to bring members issues up. The price of everything is dictated by the office/staff running costs, its easy to work it out and should be easily modified as well.

Other issues 1. Id have a ballot vote available for the AGM. 2. Id have a chip and pin machine in the SHU office so members can pay directly over the phone and this in turn keeps everything in black and white and accountable.3. the Appeal committee made up of unbiased people not associated with the SHU. 4. Distances should be free as they are with other organisations. Rant over :emoticon-0136-giggle:

you could also turn the heater aff in the office so its not as cosy :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Congratulations Walter, you must be doing something right.

Walter, like all the other Delegates, is trying his best to keep the SHU running whilst also promoting the interests of his Federation members. A Delegate has to "weigh-up" all the options and consider which best suits the needs of the fancy in Scotland. He is someone who cares both about his Federation and the SHU.

More power to your elbow Walter and I hope your health holds out to allow you to keep up your stalwart support. :)