The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

Regarding the letter to the Editor which says ‘I’m too eager to criticise the SNFC’ I have been a scribe for the BHW for over 41 years and during this time I have given the SNFC excellent publicity. In fact I still do so on a weekly basis by highlighting Good SNFC Birds in my column which otherwise would not receive any exposure at all. I have always given credit to the PIGEON and their owner without any help from SNFC officials regarding them supplying me with information or results. During this time fanciers have come to me with THEIR concerns and YES I have voiced these opinions along with my own and sometimes the truth hurts, but it is better to be honest, and these fanciers hope the points made are taken on board by the club officials? I have no problem viewing Mr Smith’s transporter and doing a report on it for my column but he has also to accept my opinions. Yes I have made mistakes but it is being honest enough to admit them but it is not a live or death scenario. We should not need to go to other channels looking for apologies if someone is upset then phone and let’s clear the air as men. Throughout these years my main objective has always been to promote the pigeon sport in Scotland. When I first started we had Round O’, Observer; Jim Renwick; Charlie Howie; Jim Paterson from Ayrshire; Billy Wortley who now writes for the RP; John Swinburne and now we only have me covering the BHW on a weekly basis. I try my best to make sure Scottish Pigeons are given the publicity they deserve.

Thank You Mates

Received an email from my good friend Guy Reed of the Isle of Wight who wrote ‘Dear Joe, we haven’t touched base lately as I have been very busy building yet another new loft, so thought I’d drop a line to Bonny Scotland’s, ‘Doo’ man extraordinaire and all round genuine guy, who does more in the sport than is ever written about and best of all does it for free!!!! And on top of that tells jokes that make people in the sport laugh as they read about their beloved birds. Here is to you Joe and thank you for being you. Just thought I’d give you a plug for a change ha ha. So, this leads me on to say more of the new loft, as more pals that I have in the sport besides your very good self, came forward, and showed their skills and generosity towards me and helped make it all go smoothly. Thank you Joe for your continued friendship and offers of assistance, despite the miles between us, and also to Mark Gower who’s consistent generosity and lively and humorous camaraderie keeps me on my toes and laughing all the way, not just a fabulous pigeon man but a real gentleman and friend, no wonder his own business, Salisbury Glass, is a thriving concern, as Mark’s energy in pigeons and work is amazing to behold, he deserves all the good fortune that can be bestowed upon him. Thank you to my old mate Roger Merrin whom I have been friends with since he moved to the island well over 40 years ago, Roger gave me 2 weeks of his time to help build the new loft, free gratis, and I’m more than grateful for his ever present friendship. Roger doesn’t race any longer but keeps a dozen of our old DeWeerdt bloodlines that bred more winners than I have room to print here. Only this year a hen I gave Roger paired with one of his original birds bred 2 sister hens for myself and another fancier to score from Bordeaux, not to mention enough, if I said he was is also partly responsible for the breeding of a bird to win 7th international from Dax. Thank you also to Mick Bunney whom I have indeed become very close too in more recent years, along with several of Mick’s pals who reside on the south coast, I won’t do too much more name dropping but I’m sure they know who they are, this includes Brian Wall who literally is a real ‘Gem’, Brian offered birds from his best to help kick off with a good team for next year, and is always there for many folk, not just me. Mick Bunney, without hesitation offered his loft facilities, which are more than adequate, so I could house my birds well whilst building the new loft. Nothing is too much trouble for Mick and I’m extremely grateful for his friendship, a quiet and unassuming gentleman of the sport, Mick along with all those mentioned are the sort of men you’d want by your side when the chips are down. Of myself I’d only hope that I can match their generosity if they require anything from me, although I know something in return is not how they lovingly give of themselves. Thank you; thank you to you all.

If this happens again I reckon we will have to build a loft on wheels lads I’m currently on my 10th move now. However Mark did make the comment that despite the moving the birds still keep scoring, which leads me to believe it’s simple, all you need is very good pigeons (though there aren’t many of them) and good sportsmanship, and my colleagues have that abound. I guess this has tuned into a big thank note, but from my perspective it is worthy and demonstrates the genuine attitude in the men that can be found behind this amazing sport. Sincerely Guy

Good SNFC Birds

I highlighted this pigeon last year which was raced by Vic Couper of Dennyloanhead in Stirlingshire and is named ‘Vic’s Boy’ he has scored well in club and federation races and is a real money spinner however he has excelled at the SNFC which is my reason for emphasizing his wins. ‘Vic’s Boy’ is a chequer cock SU14AV 749 and his performances are as follows. In 2015 from the Portsmouth race he won 36th section E winning £229.90.flying 375 miles; that same year he won 15th section E plus £119.90 from Eastbourne a distance of 402 miles. Then in 2016 he was Vic’s sole entry into the Buckingham race a distance of 300 miles and won 30th section E and £525.35 plus the nomination of a free entry to the Gran Canaria one loft race. He then went to Littlehampton race a distance of 385 miles and he won 38th section E. The local SNFC members have a £10 nomination into the inland national race and ‘Vic’s Boy’ he has won them all plus £400. This year 2017 he won 55th section E 448th open from Bedhampton flying 375 miles. So now win a SNFC Meritorious Inland Bronze Award for winning 5 times in inland nationals well done Vic.

We now come to another outstanding pigeon who wins her SNFC Silver Award this year ‘Little Owl’ bred and raced by Derek Hay of Kirkintilloch who has had a good season in 2017 and only missed out on wining the SNFC West section and Region E averages by ONE YARD. This was a pity as the west section and Region E averages were not won in 2017. However his blue hen ‘Little Owl’ SU10AV 2469 has done the business by achieving her goal of making it into the SNFC History books. She previously won 10th section E 10th West Region 46th open from Ancenis in 2014 flying 606 miles. The following year she was again sent to the clubs longest race Ancenis and this time she won 5th section E 5th West Region and was 23rd open. This year 2017 she was timed in the dark (hence her name) to win 2nd section E 2nd West region 11th open from Ancenis and now competes her 3 section wins to gain a SNFC Silver Award. She has Derek’s good hen ‘Peggy’ on both sides of her pedigree and is a true 600 mile pigeon which there are not many of nowadays.

Derek Hay's Little Owl

post-849-1509024293136_thumb.jpg

My next pigeon is called ‘Parksyde Nightvison’ SU15E 489 bred and race by John Baillie of Tranent in East Lothian (who won Scotland’s Fancier of the Year in 2016). As a yearling his chequer cock won 120th section B 290th open flying from Littlehampton 369 miles he was then set up for the Ypres national and he won 39th section B 77th open flying a distance of 427 miles. 11 days later he was sent to the national Roye race and there was only 24 day birds timed from the race. John waited till 23-10 which was now very dark and he called it a day. He was up at 04-05 and on looking out of the living room window saw the chequer cock on top of the aviary. It looked as if he had roosted there for some time and John assumes he must have come in the dark with the aid of street lights. Hence his name as ‘Nightvision’ the Parksyde is named after John’s house. He won 12th section B 23rd open flying 493 miles. This year he was set up again for the Ypres race and he won 36th section B 83rd open to win his SNFC Silver Award and was sent to the last old bird national from Falaise where he failed to return home. John won a Silver Award last year with ‘Parkside Ambition’ and put him into the stock loft and he is the sire of his 2nd bird home from this year’s young bird national from Buckingham.

Parksyde Nightvision

post-849-15090246765258_thumb.jpg

John Baillie

post-849-15090245204203_thumb.jpg

I will cover the other pigeons that have done well in the SNFC races over the next few months. However if you have a photograph of your bird and would like to see it in my column then drop me an email and I will endeavour to do my best for your bird.

Obituary

Bill Gray of Bonnyrigg in Midlothian; It is with deep sadness that I report the passing of Bill aged 68, he was a member of the local club and Scottish national. Bill worked at Penicuik Windows for a number of years and was a colleague of Tom McEwen. When Bill gave up the birds in 2013 I visited him and purchased his nest boxes and a young chequer cock that took my eye and he was a son of TMAC a SNFC Silver Award winner. This cock has bred winners for Kevin every year and is still in the stock loft. To Sandra and their son’s Colin and Mark we send our heartfelt condolences at their sad loss. May you rest in peace my old friend.

Joe’s Joke

A turkey was chatting with a bull. 'I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree' sighed the turkey, 'but I haven't got the energy.' 'Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?' replied the bull. They're packed with nutrients.'

The turkey pecked at a lump of dung, and found it actually gave him enough strength to reach the lowest branch of the tree. The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. Finally after a fourth night, the turkey was proudly perched at the top of the tree. He was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shot him out of the tree.

Moral of the story: Bull sh** might get you to the top, but it won’t keep you there.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com Pigeon Racing the Basics who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy