A Lot Of Truth

Roland

I believe ...

Taken from the Alberta Classic: In answer to my querie regards the Pickle Lake race, and distances … when their young birds would / could race over 500 miles 2 -3 time a year, sometimes two back to back.

….... by Halcanada » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:38 pm:

None that I am aware of. The Up North Combine sponsored a young bird race from 400 average miles. Lots of participants. Last weekend. Not enough day light hours for me at that time of the year. Not for day birds, I would be flying about 520 miles. Not too bad a course. North to South west. Strangely enough, the Fed I am in are basically sprint fliers. Yet they clocked in good time.

Here is something I read recently.

"Distance racing has very little to do with the actual distance, it is the time that the bird spends on the wing. This is affected by environmental conditions such as weather, winds, time of liberation, daylight. Irish racing pigeons fly many, many miles over the sea in their races from France every year...you can take the cream of the Dutch distance birds and see how many would manage this task ? The cold air over the sea provides no lift, so they need to be really tough to make that crossing. Unconditioned birds will not complete this task. The reality is that birds, through natural selection, get good at what they are tested against. I don't think that too many fanciers in Ireland or the UK would be without their "Old Blood" to ensure that they time in. On a good year the birds will be 12 hours doing 500 miles, on a bad year the race would be lucky to see a single bird in the first day....and the liberation is always early morning. I even think that the Belgians would challenge your assertion that the Dutch are the best....even the Polish and some of the German birds fly further and into more difficult terrain. Depends on what you want to see "

My club will not fly over 300 miles. Old birds. But I do with the Fed..... End of.

Halcanada is a English man that hails – Like Bill Butterfield one time the C.U. P     resident - from Hartlepool, now residing in Canada.

Again I repeat only healthy and conditioned birds win hard races. Too many rely on – In my view – easy days and blow homes race. They never give the birds the credit they deserve but all too often refer to them in a 'Human Context'. They aren't, and in natures way, surpass us in many attributes in power. Too many state for their bird 'My birds couldn't do that'! They are bred for spring and days with a sun on their back'. 'Their pedigrees show that they are sprint birds etc. and hence never given the chance!

A good fancier once said 'Belgium birds are brought and MADE here'! (The U.K.)

A loft brags often. Gets write ups in the pigeon mags '…...... it only keeps and breeds from 12 pairs of racers' etc. !

Yet after a good season or two, sales of 100's ever season 'To keep the numbers down and often stated '…... 'These birds will win for you as for me'! 'I would race them my self with confidence' … Omitting that his confidence is that they are culls. Yes many fanciers flock to buy them lol.

Was a very good flyer here in my club that only had 8 to 12 pairs of birds tops. He won from every point.  Was one to beat.

Then whilst meet up with a well known  National winner, several times  and on both North and South Roads, he name cropped up that he once brought a kitt, a selection of his birds back in the 70's. Straight off I couldn't help but smile, well nearly laugh.  He looked and said …. 'Yeah you itguessed, rubbish'. A good lesson learned there then!

Yet this club  fancier sent birds all over the U.K. Etc

I went one morning to pick his birds up for a training toss one morning.... 1st week in April. Was, as he told me, a done practise every season. 1st week in April, enoigh time to have two ronds to race the y/b season … Wel that of course is true. He had 8 pairs! With in minutes he bragged he'd sent that yesterday 42  pairs to Scotland. Last week had dispatched others to Grimsby, Southend, London etc. etc. etc.

I laughed to my self. 'Where do you breed them from 8 pairs lol. I already knew!

He had two friends, brothers, that lived nigh opposite from me. No longer racing, in fact no longer club members and hadn't raced for decades. They had old stables in their grounds full of breeding pigeons ...

I know many 'National' winners that have such lofts too. Breeding pens. YOU KNOW THIS TOO!

One must have a good re-pore, trust and friendship if bringing new stock.

Top fancier do buy in … often no more than to give each other 'Good Names'. BUT they also lend and borrow and swap with each other the real good uns. These are the birds one seeks I believe.

a very interesting read ,although i always thought to many people specialize in breeding all these champion birds,i believe its a big factor for as many birds being lost or unable to home on there own. i watch all the sales, and a great number of birds from these breeding lofts are bought with the big pedigree,then the offspring dont come up to scratch,but rather than do away with them, they create a rosy picture and recoup there money back of the poor fancier trying to make his saturday a better day. there is far to many birds being sent to races not fit for purpose hence a factor in as many losses in my opinion.

A voice of realism Avante.

That is why so many lofts fanciers often state 'The best birds I every had / have were freebies given via a friend' or such.

Fancy wrappings are etc. to sale any thing .... Just look at the Supermarkets / shops etc. Then add the 'Claims' made fpor selling much ... too much often.