Loft Visit

Kyleakin Lofts

When returning from a few days break I stopped off for a visit to John and Derek's lofts. I found Derek's house no problem, sat-navs are wonderful things. I had to then find my way to the loft and this is where the memory lets you down, trying to remember the directions and landmarks. After finding the outskirts of the town once more, another phone call made and retracing of steps, I was relieved to see Derek waiting to guide me the last few yards. I would definitely have missed it again.

Once there, the hospitality was equal to what I remembered as a boy when I scraped out back in the 70's. I received a tour of the lofts and was allowed to handle pigeon after pigeon. My head was spinning. The pigeons were all of a type with slight variations depending on origin, but the quality just oozed.

I had spoken with both fanciers on one occasion previously when they were on the panel at Cumnock Club Moot Night. I must have met them on the occasion of their entry to our Lerwick race, although perhaps Tam Richardson had brought their entry through on that occasion and I have had a chat through the medium of this site. To be given the freedom of their lofts in the manner they did was exceptional considering that they didn't really know me very well. I hope I have listened well and picked up some points from our conversation, but the offer of help and advice in the future was greatly appreciated.

During the period of the last seven years since starting to race pigeons I have met some exceptional fanciers and received their help and advice. In these modern times of winning at all costs and pigeon racing now being a money driven "hobby", it is so gratifying to know that some "old fashioned" fanciers still abound. Fanciers who are eager to assist and to promote the fancy are the jewels in our crown. John and Derek certainly fit this mould. Thanks for allowing me to visit your lofts and see your operating methods. :)

When returning from a few days break I stopped off for a visit to John and Derek's lofts. I found Derek's house no problem, sat-navs are wonderful things. I had to then find my way to the loft and this is where the memory lets you down, trying to remember the directions and landmarks. After finding the outskirts of the town once more, another phone call made and retracing of steps, I was relieved to see Derek waiting to guide me the last few yards. I would definitely have missed it again.

Once there, the hospitality was equal to what I remembered as a boy when I scraped out back in the 70's. I received a tour of the lofts and was allowed to handle pigeon after pigeon. My head was spinning. The pigeons were all of a type with slight variations depending on origin, but the quality just oozed.

I had spoken with both fanciers on one occasion previously when they were on the panel at Cumnock Club Moot Night. I must have met them on the occasion of their entry to our Lerwick race, although perhaps Tam Richardson had brought their entry through on that occasion and I have had a chat through the medium of this site. To be given the freedom of their lofts in the manner they did was exceptional considering that they didn't really know me very well. I hope I have listened well and picked up some points from our conversation, but the offer of help and advice in the future was greatly appreciated.

During the period of the last seven years since starting to race pigeons I have met some exceptional fanciers and received their help and advice. In these modern times of winning at all costs and pigeon racing now being a money driven "hobby", it is so gratifying to know that some "old fashioned" fanciers still abound. Fanciers who are eager to assist and to promote the fancy are the jewels in our crown. John and Derek certainly fit this mould. Thanks for allowing me to visit your lofts and see your operating methods. :)

Andy you were more than welcome the place is like a building site at the moment but hopefully when we get young bird loft off and all done we’ve been busy at the moment putting the double glazing in widowhood lofts so hopefully to up our performances to be honest our results have not been as good good as we had hoped so we have went back to basics and a full round of new blood brought in to hopefully lift us back up the ladder pigeon racing is a great leveller and your more than welcome to come back and see us again mate