The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

This is a very unique weekend for Margaret and I as it is our Golden wedding anniversary; and we are both thrilled to reach this wonderful occasion with each other. I’m more excited about reaching this goal than when we won the Scottish national and I couldn’t be happier. Both our parents never managed to reach the magical 50 years so for both of us to achieve this milestone is exceptional. We are going to renew our marriage vows then spend the rest of the day with our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, plus other members of our families and friends.

Joe & Margaret on their wedding day

post-849-15084231930081_thumb.jpg

A happy Margaret & Joe Murphy

post-849-15084232569147_thumb.jpg

Ayrshire Federation

Archie McIntyre wrote asking if I would include the attached report and pictures in my weekly column. This is about the Dalry Homing Society 2 Bird Challenge Race that took place on the 12th of August in conjunction with Ayrshire Federations race from Berwick and was for the 3rd year running. A prize fund of £1000 plus £150 of donations from our sponsors was split as follows, 1st Prize £500, 2nd Prize £250, 3rd £100. There was also a Prize Draw (All entered teams go into a prize draw) of £100, Highest Individual velocity for an activated or non-activated entry was £100 and 2nd highest individual velocity for an activated or non-activated entry was £50. Once again the 2 Bird Challenge was well supported by our fellow clubs namely, Ardeer HS, Irvine HS, Kilwinning HS, Crosshouse HS, Darvel HS and Mauchline & District HS as well as non-Ayrshire federation members who enter their teams to fly through friends lofts in Ayrshire. Over the last few year we found the amount of teams making it through to the final race was very low as the losses in the training prior to racing commencing and the losses experienced from the 1st race prior to the challenge race was having a big impact on the amount of teams making it through to the final challenge race. This year we changed the dates for registering your 2 birds plus your reserve bird by 15th July, this allowed training of the young birds to be well under way and the possibility of picking better potential candidates for the race. We also moved the reserve activation date to the Monday after the first race and again this gave the fancier a chance to have all their candidates with a race under their belt before deciding if they wanted or needed to activate their reserve bird into their 2 bird team. This year we had 43 teams registered in the 2 bird challenge race and 11 teams successfully being timed out of Berwick race. This was great to see 11 teams making out the final race given the racing we have experienced in Ayrshire this year. Winning the 1st prize of £500 is John Donald of Ardeer HS on a combined velocity of 1109.5. John took a bit of persuading this year to enter as he was not sure if he would be here for the race or be away on holiday. I’m sure now he was glad he was not due to go on holiday as he now has a few pounds more in his pocket for spending when he does go.

2nd Prize of £250 goes to Jim McCann from Hurlford on a combined velocity of 1062.7. Jim no longer races pigeons but is still very actively involved in the sport. Jim’s very good friends Mr & Mrs J R Ramsay & Son from Ardrossan offered Jim the opportunity to compete in this competition by asking him to select a team of pigeons from their loft (Sponsor) and compete in the race. Jim has taken up this opportunity over the past few years with some success in the previous 2 bird challenge races. The partnership of Mr & Mrs J R Ramsay & Son also offered up the opportunity to their good friend Alex McInnes of Blantyre to compete in this race. Alex sends down 3 youngsters each year to fly from their lofts and it was Alex who lifted the first prize of £500 last year with a team of his own pigeons flying out of Mr & Mrs Ramsay & Son loft. 3rd Prize of £150 goes to Tom Smith of Dalry HS on a combined velocity of 1059.0.The winner of £100 for the Highest Individual Velocity (1158.0) for an Activated or Non-Activated entry was won by Derek Kane of Ardeer HS and the winner of the 2nd Highest Individual Velocity (1148.0) and £50 for an Activated or Non-Activated entry was John Simpson of Ardeer HS. The prize draw for £100 took place at this year’s winners house John Donald and was performed by John himself. The winner of the £100 prize draw was David Craddock of Dalry HS. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all our fellow fanciers from Ayrshire and out with Ayrshire who continues to support the 2 bird challenge. I would also like to say a special thanks to our sponsors this year, David & Susan Craddock of the Largs Post Office, Andy Barbour of A J McAlpine Construction and Tom Smith President of Dalry Homing Society. I have attached pictures of the following winners: 1) John Donald 1st Prize winner receiving cheque from Gavin Urquhart, David Craddock and Tom Smith

2) Mr & Mrs Ramsay & Jim McCann getting presented with their cheque from Alex McInnes of Blantyre. (Last year's winner) 3) David Craddock receiving his cheque for the prize draw from Tom Smith (on left of picture) 4) Jim Ramsay & Jim McCann holding their winning diploma for 2nd place. (Jim Ramsay on left and Jim McCann on right); 5) John Donald holding his winning diploma for 1st place;

Many Thanks once again Joe for all the publicity our federation has received throughout the year in your weekly column yours Archie’.

John Donald receiving his Cheque from Gavin Urquhart David Craddock & Tom Smith

post-849-150842351304_thumb.jpg

John Donald & Diploma

post-849-15084239176953_thumb.jpg

Mr & Mrs Ramsay & Jim McCann & Alex McInnes

post-849-15084241011738_thumb.jpg

Jim Ramsay & Jim McCann

post-849-15084242269753_thumb.jpg

Mr & Mrs Ramsay & Jim McCann & Alex McInnes

post-849-15084241011738_thumb.jpg

David Craddock receiving his cheque from Tom Smith

post-849-150842491631_thumb.jpg

Good SNFC Birds

This week I have picked out 4 pigeons that have scored in the hard 2017 season, starting with Ewan Warwick of Brydekirk from the South section. His chequer pied hen SU13 2087 won 356th open from Littlehampton in 2016 but did not win a section prize. She was flying 313 miles to her loft that same season she was entered into the last old bird national from Roye and she won 3rd section A 25th open flying 447 miles. This year she again had the same procedure by going to the inland national from Bedhampton a distance of 303 miles and she won 29th section A 136th open. She was then entered from the last old bird national race from Falaise a distance of 449 miles and she won 61st open but did not win a section prize. My 2nd pigeon is a blue bar cock SU14P 5646 raced by Sinclair Thomson & son of Port Seton in East Lothian. In 2016 he won twice from over the channel with a 35th section B 67th open from Ypres flying 428 miles he was then sent to the last national from Roye a distance of 494 miles to his home loft and he was again to the fore winning 15th section B 38th open. This year he competed from the 2 inland races winning 362nd open from Buckingham a distance of 286 miles then a few weeks later he was entered into the Bedhampton race a distance of 363 miles and won 78th section B 288th open. My next pigeon scored from the same race points but in different years this blue cock SU13S 91 is raced by double Gold Cup winner John Duthie of Dundee. In 2016 the blue cock was entered into the Buckingham race and won 66th section C 254th open flying 320 miles he was then sent to the last race of the old bird season from Roye a distance of 526 miles and won 8th section C 31st open. In 2017 he again had an inland race this time from Bedhampton a distance of 399 miles and he won 52nd section C 187th open he was then sent to Ypres a distance of 459 miles winning 42nd section C 151st open. My last pigeon highlighted is another blue bar cock SU14P 1812 raced by Willie Kinnear & son Barry of Danderhall in Edinburgh. Last year this cock won 30th section B 75th open from Littlehampton flying 368 miles. He was then entered into the Ypres race and won 32nd section B 56th open flying 429 miles and this year he was sent to Bedhampton a distance of 360 miles and won 92nd section B 343rd open.

Joe’s Joke

An old lady went into a bar in Texas and saw a man with his feet propped upon a table and he had the biggest boots she'd ever seen. The old woman asked the man if it's true what they say about men with big feet being well endowed. The man grinned and said, 'Sure is, little lady. Why don't you come to my apartment and let me prove it to you?' The old woman considered she might never get an offer like this again and was curious to find out for herself, so she spent the night with him.

The next morning she handed him a $50 note. Blushing, he said, 'Well, thank you, I'm really flattered. Nobody has ever paid me for my 'services' before!' 'Don't be flattered' she replied... 'Take the money and buy yourself some boots that fit...'

Women can be so cruel!!

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com Pigeon Racing the Basics who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy