Young Birds

REDCHEQHEN

I have noticed that although young birds have been on the dark they still drop flights - or atleast some do - not all

As we have never flown young birds natural, I don't know what the difference would be.

Having noted the number of flights on the young birds for a few years before sending them - I have noticed we tend to drop youngsters when they get down to 5 flights. Does anybody else bother counting them?

I queried this with a new starter at the clubhouse last weekend, did he look at and count the flights before sending - and it appears I was the only one who bothered! We don't send young birds to a race with 5 flights or less

Does anybody else who flies darkness actually 'look' at their birds and count the flights, and for those who fly natural youngsters - what do you do? When do you stop your youngsters?

I fly natural I count the flights by the time my birds reach there 5th/6th flight i usually stop them. There condition in moult round about this time is a lot diffrent from the darkies. The neck and ears & tails usually start to go at this stage I feel its time to put them on the shelf till next year. Never done darkness Y/Bs