The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

In a recent conversation with my old friend John Tyreman, President of the BICC, he informed me that they have a transporter for sale at a reasonable price and wondered if I knew of anyone who may be interested. On receiving the details and photographs I thought it might be suitable for the SNFC and forwarded this information onto the secretary to give them first chance of purchasing it on 1ST September and up to now 13th I have had no communication from the SNFC. The lorry is a HGV, holds 96 crates per side where the BICC have used it with 16 birds per crate so it will hold 3, 072 birds. John is very complementary of the lorry and informed me that it is MOT’d and has been serviced every year since purchased and was used only for our 5 or 6 races per season. The transporter was used in 2017 to the Poitiers race. The kilometres reading on the dashboard is 387086 which is a lot less than the present BICC Lorry which has over 500.000. I am told it does around 15/16 to the gallon and you will see there is a sleeper cab. However, the only thing I am told is the Turbo requires attention (it’s attached with wire and needs putting back properly). I have included some photos of the vehicle and photo of the crates store on the identical lorry that the BICC are keeping. The BICC have ordered aluminium crates for their lorry for the 2018 season but this lorry would come with ALL the wooden crates. You will see from my photograph that there is a space down each side so that the birds can get to the water or feeding which is on BOTH SIDES. So the pigeons are only 12 inches from food or water at any time they are in the crates. You will also see from the photographs that ventilation gets throughout the lorry and the air flow is excellent. This also helps with the intake of light into the birds in the crates. If the SNFC are not interested in this transporter and any other organisation are then please contact me and I will give you the person name and phone number who is dealing on behalf of the BICC.

Transporter

post-849-15053904029714_thumb.jpg

Wooden crate on Lorry

post-849-15053904985664_thumb.jpg

Crate side view

post-849-15053905825974_thumb.jpg

Dashboard view

post-849-15053906414232_thumb.jpg

Sleeper Cab BICC Lorry

post-849-15053907000611_thumb.jpg

MNFC Poitiers

While reading the report on the Midland National FC race from Poitiers which Mr. & Mrs. Fisher & son won with their blue cock Young Stormer. My good mate Rob Glover from Earl Shilton was 2nd open beaten by point 8 of a yard with a blue hen that I bred for him. This wonderful hen has won 31st section 121st open MNFC Bordeaux 531 miles; 53rd open MNFC Ancenis 535 miles from an entry of 4500 birds; 5th section 52nd open MNFC Bordeaux; 39th section 251st open MNFC Ancenis 4331 birds and now winning 1st section 2nd open MNFC Poitiers with 285 members sending 984 birds. I think you will agree she is a very special pigeon and Rob has told me that her sister is in his stock loft. The blue hen now known as The Murphy Hen is a half-sister to My Little Rachel winner of 4th open SNFC Alencon for Kevin and not 1st open as Mike Lakin stated in his report. Rachel brother is the sire of Kevin’s 26th open SNFC Falaise 2017 winner. The sire of these 3 pigeon’s is a direct son of Gilmour Brothers of Leven 1st open SNFC Falaise winner ‘Robbie’s Boy’ (who has just died at the age of 15 years old) when Robbie’s Boy was mated to a sister of ‘Mary’ the famous hen raced by Jock King of Kirkcaldy. Mary won 11 times from France winning a Gold Award in both the SNFC and the SNRPC. The dam of The Murphy Hen was a direct daughter of ‘Kingdom Spirit’ bred and raced by George & Brian Hunter of Dunfermline. This pigeon is only the 2nd bird in the history of the SNFC to win a Double Gold Award 10 times a winner from France into Scotland. The other pigeon to do so was the famous ‘Fortune Lady’ raced by Mr. & Mrs. Jimmy Smith of Elphinstone. As a matter of interest the parents of The Murphy Hen are bred a cock that I entered into the Barcelona Challenge Loft in France managed by John McGee. This cock was 9th bird from Narbonne flying 502 miles and was also 15 bird home from the Barcelona international race in 2013. I once again send my congratulations to Rob Glover on his 2nd open MNFC success well done mate.

Gorebridge Pigeon Club Show

The above club will be holding an open show on the 21st October 2017 in St Matthews Chapel Hall Carnethie Street Rosewell EH24 9AN penning is from 9 to 10 am with judging starting at 10-30 am. There are racing and show classes with entries £1.00 per pan, NO duplications allowed and the show is run under SHU rules. Entry date is 7th October for more information contact Carrie Winter 56 Pentland Crescent Rosewell Midlothian EH24 9BJ

Results

Angus Federation Kevin’s club were not racing this week however the federation had 421 birds at Ripon liberated at 07-45 hours with no wind at the race point. David Liddle of Forfar tops the federation and is in 3rd & 17th open places. Macaulay Ferguson & Curran are 2nd 4th 5th 10th & 12th with Davie Glen in 6th 7th 9th 13th to 16th and 20th open. Ian Scott is 8th 11th & 19th with R Greig making up the top 20 winning 18th open.

East Section winners are G Campbell of Montrose wins 1st & 10th place with Les McKay of Inchcape club in 2nd 4th 5th & 6th places. G McKenzie of the same club is 3rd with D & D Hay of Gourdon is 7th with club mate Eddie Mann in 8th & 9th spots.

Club winners are as follows; Forfar with 283 bird’s winner D J Liddle; Gourdon with 31 bird’s winner D & D Hay; Inchcape 30 bird’s winner L McKay and Montrose 77 birds’ winner G Campbell. My thanks to Kevin for supplying the federation result.

Ayrshire Federation

Archie informs us they were at Sedgefield for their 5th young bird race of the season on the 26th August with a convoy of 304 birds, a drop of 536 birds on the previous week race and a staggering 1,037 of a drop over the last two races. The Ayrshire young birds have certainly not had it easy throughout this young bird season, having to face these fresh westerly winds every week as they head across the UK to the west coast. Jim O’Hare our race controller had the birds up and away at 09:30 into a light south west wind for a race of between 128 miles up to 156 miles to the top end of the federation. Reports from the liberation site were that the small convoy headed off straight away unlike the previous weeks race where they kept returning to the liberation site for some unknown reason. Returns this week do not look to be much better than in the previous races. In the top 2 clubs in the North Section this week, Dalry only had 30 members sending 67 birds and Ardeer had 30 members sending 80 birds. At the clocks and these 2 clubs seem to have the better of the returns. Some individual members in other clubs are only reporting 4 out of 20, 0 from 4 and 1 from 4 home at clock checking. Leading the way in the federation this week to record their 3 x 1st federation win in 5 young bird races is the partnership of John Grant & Stevie McGovern from the Ardeer HS. This partnership cannot seem to do anything wrong this young bird season winning 1st, 2nd , 5th , 15th , 16th , 17th , 18th and 19th open fed from a convoy of 304 birds with their leading pigeon doing 1087.5 ypm. John and Stevie’s winning pigeon this week is a chequer hen the partnership purchased as a team of 6 from the top winning lofts of McCauley, Ferguson and Curran of Forfar. The 6 young birds John and Stevie purchased have been flying very steady with at least one of them always in the leading birds to their loft. The winning bird this week is down off a John Ellis bird when paired to a Soontjen hen. 2nd fed on 1087.2 for the partnership is a black cock, this bird has been flying very steady and has had every race. The sire is a gift bird they got about 4 years ago as a young bird from Mark Findlay who now flies under the name of Cowan & Findlay. The dam is a Koopman pigeon bred down from their Galaxy Loft birds. 3rd fed this week are the furthest flying members in the federation, Robin & George McCallum of Largs. This partnership work hard with their birds and away get a turn with them. Having taken a stroke last year, Robin has found it very challenging and sometimes impossible just to do the things we take for granted like catching the birds and cleaning out the loft. With the help of friends to basket the birds for training and racing (When George the partner goes a missing in action) Robin continues to enjoy the sport and get the best out of their birds. Robin & George’s winning bird is one of a kit of 6 youngsters the partnership received from Paul Reed of Barnwood in Gloucester. Robin met Paul at the Blackpool show this year and after a few pints they agreed to do a swap of 6 youngster’s each. Paul himself has had some time recently in the hospital and has been unable to race the youngsters he received from Robin and George. The only details I have of the partnership’s winning pigeon are the parents both contain Janssen blood lines. The partnership youngsters are all natural and are flying to the perch. Robin would like to wish Paul a speedy recovery and hopes to catch up with him at the 2018 Blackpool show.

John Grant of Grant & McGovern 1st & 2nd Fed Sedgefield 26:08:2017

post-849-15053901901101_thumb.jpg

R & G McCallum 3rd Fed Sedgefiield 26:08:2017

post-849-15053903020176_thumb.jpg

In and around Ayrshire clubs this week starting with the North Section who sent 171 birds.

Dalry HS 67 birds: 1st R & G McCallum 1082 2nd D Craddock 1076, 3rd S & E McCall 1062.

Ardeer HS 80 birds: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Grant & McGovern 1087.5, 1087.2 and 1073.1.

Kilwinning HS 4 birds: No Birds timed.

Central Section: 50 Birds

Kilmarnock Invitation; No birds sent.

Crosshouse HS 6 birds: 1st A Wilson 595.7

Darvel HS 33 birds: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Cowan & Findlay 943.9, 941.9 and 890.9.

Irvine HS 31 birds: 1st E Diamond 959.6, 2nd McKenna & Diamond 791.4, D McCullen 658.3.

South Section: 83 Birds

Mauchline 5 birds: 1st J Watters 603.7, 2nd A Plenderleith 479.8.

Cumnock & District; No birds sent.

Dalmellington 10 birds: 1st J Stark 816.6, 2nd M McClarty 490.2.

Carrick & District No birds sent.

Whitletts 54 birds 1st Boyle Bros 951.9, 2nd and 3rd Boyd Bros 944.6 and 944.0.

Annbank 14 birds: 1st D Harris 664.4, 2nd K Harris 574.9.

Almond Valley Federation

News from Mrs Lynne Stewart who informs us that 508 birds were liberated at 08-40 am on 2nd September at Thirsk. Ian Jamieson of Balerno is 1st with a velocity of 1344. Jimmy Young of East Calder is 2nd & 3rd with Geordie Harris of Forth & Clyde taking the next 2 places. With J Burnside of Armadale club taking the next 6 positions.

Club winners as follows;

Armadale 228 birds; 1st to 4th J Burnside 1304.174, 1304.064, 1303.845, 1303.735

Balerno 64 birds; 1st to 4th I Jamieson 1344.647, 1274.802, 1274.152, 1271.883

Carnwath 41 birds; 1st & 2nd Thomson Bros 1066 & 1013.3rd R Robertson 985 4th Thomson Bros 965

East Calder 55 birds; 1st to 4th J M Young 1316.681, 1316.450, 1296.117, 1232.417

Forth & Clyde 67 birds; 1st 2nd & 4th G Harris 1313.520, 1313.114 &1 213.692

3rd Law & Brady 1272.716

East Calder 53 birds; 1st to 4th J Bird 1285.289, 1285.289, 1284.966, 1267.331

Balerno HS news from Colin Bain who writes ‘Hi Joe we were at Thirsk on Saturday 2nd September with 17 members sending 63 birds the convoy were liberated at 08-40 hours into a south west wind. The 1st x 4 birds in the club belong to Ian Jamieson with the winner a grizzel cock doing a velocity of 1344 and top’s the federation. The 2nd bird is also a grizzel cock doing 1274 these 2 cocks are down from his father’s old Kirkpatrick crossed Bricoux lines. The 3rd bird was a blue chequer hen on 1274 and the 4th was a blue chequer pied cock doing 1271. All these 4 birds are on the darkness system. Next week is an open race Joe so you will get the fed result from Lynne. Many thanks Joe for adding Balerno to your result column each week you do a good job for our sport in Scotland best wishes Colin Bain’.

East of Scotland Federation

News from John Baillie who writes ‘Hi Joe, we had another Friday race with the federation convoyed by Pentland Hills fed and another good race with minimal losses. The birds were liberated into a light north wind at 09-45 hours and topping the federation this week is John Bird of Prestonpans. John also takes another 3 birds to win 7th, 8th & 9th open positions. Dougie Grieve of Longniddry comes in at 2nd open he is followed by Mr & Mrs March of Prestonpans. With Tam Hunnam of Port Seton in 4th position and 5th place goes to Jim McNeil of Tranent. Filling the last 2 slots are Tom & Scott McEwen of Elphinstone who win 6th & 10th places.

Prestonpans HC: winning this week is John Bird with a Herman Ceusters hen bred from stock purchased from Premier lofts. Taking 2nd spot we have Mr & Mrs March with a white flight cock bred from their stock loft from birds obtained from Mr & Mrs Whitson of Pencaitland. In 3rd position is Tam Hunnam with a blue hen no details on her breeding well Joe that's it for another week best of wishes yours John B’.

Fife Federation

From the Ripon race flown on the 2nd September the convoy of 895 birds were liberated at 08-00 hours with no wind at the race point. The East section had Methilhaven club sending 75 birds; Leven 97 birds; Kennoway 111 birds; St Andrews 87 birds and Tayport 32 birds. Topping the section and federation taking the top 7 positions is Dave Baldie of St Andrews with the winner doing 1403. Dave Jack of Tayport is 8th with John Harcus of St Andrews in 9th & 10th places. The Centre section had Glenrothes sending 70 birds and Novar with 85 birds. Taking the top 7 plus 9th positions is Brian Kinnear of Pittlessie with near neighbour Terry Turpie & McCord in 8th & 10th places. The west section had Perth with 79 birds; Lochgelly with 72 birds; Crossgates with 97 birds and Dunfermline with 90 birds. S Donaldson of Perth club takes the first 9 places with Bob Wilson of Glenrothes club in 10th place. My thanks to Geordie Todd for the federation result.

Glenrothes & Leslie PC news from Rosie Armit who tells us that 3 members sent 67 birds to Sedgefield 2 with the 1st bird to Turpie & McCord on a velocity of 1248. This was a blue white flight cock not darkness. His sire is a half- brother to Len Downie’s Pencil Cock and his dam a daughter of Hunters ‘Kingdom Spirit’.

2nd & 3rd is Brian Kinnear on 1237 & 1236 his first bird is a blue hen her sire is a stock bird a double grandson of ‘Stitchy’ while her dam won 10th open Fife Fed from Clermont as a yearling. His 2nd bird is a chequer pied hen bred down from a pair of yearlings who both won races as young birds in 2016 being from ‘Stitchy’ crossed with Vandenabeele lines; my thanks to Rosie for her result.

Dunfermline LRPS news from David Kennedy who writes ‘Hi Joe from Ripon young birds we had 7 members sending 90 birds; first this week is Walker & David Kennedy Loft No2 with a velocity of 1167 ypm. We timed a darkness homebred hen her sire is a Jan Aarden bred by John Smith and the dam was bred and raced as a young bird by George Atkinson of Market Weighton of Yorkshire. This is the 3rd x 1st prize winner bred from this hen. Frank Mitchell takes 2nd place with a velocity of 1135 ypm. Frank timed a darkness homebred hen from his Jock Traill family of pigeons. Third is Walker & David Kennedy Loft No2 with a velocity of 1128 ypm. We timed a darkness hen bred by George Atkinson of Market Weighton of Yorkshire and the bloodlines being Vandenabeele crossed Van Hove. This bird’s nest mate has won 2 x 1st prizes already for George this year. This week’s club nomination is won by Walker & David Kennedy Loft No2 and the 2-bird was won by Andy Ritchie; that’s it once again yours David’.

North of Scotland Federation

News from George Duthie who writes ‘Hi Joe we had 44 members sending 546 birds to Consett these were liberated into a light south wind. With the east section having 24 members sending 371 birds and taking the 1st x 3 places in the federation is C McRae of Fraserburgh & District club with another 2 birds in 5th & 6th place. J (Ian) Gibb of the same club is 4th & 9th with George Duthie winning 7th & 8th places and Walter Masson of the same club in 10th place. The west section had 20 members sending 175 birds; winning 1st 3rd & 9th section 11th 15th & 27th open federation are Fulton & Ritchie of Devern Valley club. G R Duncan of Keith club is 2nd 5th & 10th west section 13th 18th and 32nd open federation with his club mate A J Reid winning 4th west section 17th open. A Wilson of Devern Valley club wins 6th 7th & 8th section and 20th 21st & 22nd open federation.

Clubs First Bird

Fraserburgh & District won by C McRae; Devern Valley won by Fulton & Ritchie; Keith won by G R Duncan; Peterhead & District won by Jim & Ann Donaldson;

Inverurie won by J Coutts & son; Elgin & District won by Jack & Reid. Fraserburgh West End won by R Barclay with Buckie & District club win by J Cumming. Well done to Colin McCrae on topping the federation and well done to Fulton & Ritchie on winning the west section.

The federation Gold Ring completion was won by Colin McRae who took 1st & 2nd places winning £650.00 and George Duthie who won 3rd prize and £100.00. A great piece of flying by these 2 members who won 2nd, 6th & 7th federation with birds nominated before the start of the racing season. Well done to Colin and George a truly great performance and special thanks once again to all the fanciers who entered this competing.

Pentland Hills Federation and New Lothian RPC news from Andy Miller who informs us that the above held their 6th young bird race of the season from Wakefield; flown on Friday 1st September with a 09-45 liberation with 11 clubs sending 2317 birds flying a distance of between 165-175 miles for most members. Winning for the 2nd time this young bird season is Danderhall member Freddie Robertson and silent partner David. They timed their Van de Weil darkness youngster and a similar bred mate to be clear winners of both 1st 2nd & 8th open in the 2 organisations. Returns were good with around 90% returns in the first couple of hours yours Andy’; The 3rd open place is won by L Mitchell of Castlebrae club with D & J Allen of Woodburn club are 4th & 5th with Helen Aitken & sons of Danderhall in 6th & 7th positions. A Young of Danderhall is 9th with McCormack & Fraser of Castlebrae are in 10th spot.

Club Winners;

Danderhall 664 birds; 1st & 2nd A W Roberson 3rd Aitken

Castlebrae 126 birds; 1st L Mitchell 2nd McCormack & Fraser 3rd Wills

Woodburn 152 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Allen

Easthouses 328 birds; 1st Moyes 2nd J Pryde 3rd W Pryde & Son

Bonnyrigg 184 birds; 1st J Dewar 2nd Stark 3rd Russell

Sighthill 75 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Miller

Edinburgh Premier 127 birds; 1st & 2nd J & S Black 3rd Hutton Son & McCaig

Edinburgh West 65 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Bennett

Loanhead 97 birds; 1st & 3rd Anderson 2nd Murray

New Lothian 76 birds;

Traprain 367 birds; 1st Thomson 2nd McLeod 3rd Newcombe & Black

Others 56 birds;

The winners of Breeder/Buyer Wakefield race are as follows; Breeder & Buyer was Helen Aitken & sons - Winning a total of £300 with ring number SU17P1146 doing a velocity 1218

New Lothian RPC from the Wakefield young bird race flown on Friday 1st September 55 lofts entered 1474 birds. Liberated at 09-45 hours into a light north wind; F Robertson of Danderhall club takes 1st 2nd & 9th places winning over £100 for his endeavours. L Mitchell of Castlebrae club is 3rd with D & J Allan in 4th & 5th place winning over £350 for their efforts. Helen Aitken & sons of Danderhall take the next 2 places winning £120 with A Young also from Danderhall club winning £90 the Castlebrae partnership of McCormack & Fraser win £49 for their hard work.

Peterborough Mid-Week Race

Flown on Wednesday the 6th September had 32 lofts prepaid 124 birds; with 24 actual lofts sending 98 birds. Liberated at 07-15 hours into a west wind and flying 250/260 miles. The winner is John Bird of East of Scotland federation with a velocity of 1157 and he wins the very nice sum of £2135 for his efforts. 2nd are A S Thompson & son of Traprain club winning £655 with Newcombe & Black of the same club in 3rd place winning £630. J Douglas of New Lothian is 4th winning £335 he is followed by A W Robertson of Danderhall club who wins 5th 8th 10th & 11th winning £466 for his bird’s hard work. J McIvor of the same club is 6th & 13th winning £90 with John F Bosworth of Traprain club winning 7th 14th 15th & 16th winning £325 with his 4 birds. Willie Kinnear & son of Danderhall are 9th & 12th winning £570. 14th open is Andy Miller of Sighthill. Well done to all the members who competed and a good race was experienced.

Joe’s Joke

Subject: News from Westminster

There will be NO nativity scene at Westminster this year 2017. As the Supreme Court has ruled that there cannot be a nativity scene in the nation's House of Commons this Christmas season. This isn't for any religious reason - they simply have not been able to find three wise men in there.

The search for a Virgin continues....

However, there was no problem finding enough donkeys to fill the stable.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com Pigeon Racing the Basics who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy