Belgium Stock

Froog

Are we fooled by these so called top fanciers in the world? Views please. Only using this vid as an example, or is British best?

i thought Koopman is a Dutchman , although with Belgium Van Loon pigeons , maybe he has been fooled into buying them ? what do you think Froog ?

i thought Koopman is a Dutchman , although with Belgium Van Loon pigeons , maybe he has been fooled into buying them ? what do you think Froog ?

It was just an example of how these guys sell to Chinese etc for huge coin. I know most fanciers in Uk have mainly Belgium/ dutch origin strains, me included, but many Uk fanciers actually improve these strains or do they? Take Poland for example, top class fanciers and birds sell for peanuts compared to Belgium/Holland/Germany....was just asking for other guys views :drinking-coffee-200:

That's a serious amount of young birds,I have 5,

I think it's a matter of doing your research to be honest.

I had a guy calling me last week to ask about a belgian fancier , granted this fancier(the belgian one) is well know and he has won a couple of inters, but the guy breeds 800 young birds for himself!!

Most of the Belgian flyers are very keen and devoted to there birds here in the U.K. we have many fanciers who just keep them for pets and are frightened to death of sending them to some races for fear of losing them, also many of the Dutch & Belgian birds don't have to fly into hills the highest they have to fly over over is a hedge and they don't have as bad a hawk problem as the UK

Are we fooled by these so called top fanciers in the world? Views please. Only using this vid as an example, or is British best?

i wonder how many fanciers have watched this video and are now flocking to the supermarket to buy cheese for there pigeons!!! :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Alan, I do understand this. The point I suppose I was trying to make was that bringing in continental blood dilutes the proven lines and as George pointed out, fanciers are continually bringing in new lines to the detriment of the lines they already have in the loft.

The old fanciers may have been better stock-men, but they had patience to wait and see whether the introduction improved their family. If it didn't, then the lot went and they would try again. Very few nowadays have a family; they have a mixture of many and varied lines.

Because a pigeon does well in Holland or Belgium, does not mean that it will automatically do well in Scotland. :)

Alan, I do understand this. The point I suppose I was trying to make was that bringing in continental blood dilutes the proven lines and as George pointed out, fanciers are continually bringing in new lines to the detriment of the lines they already have in the loft.

The old fanciers may have been better stock-men, but they had patience to wait and see whether the introduction improved their family. If it didn't, then the lot went and they would try again. Very few nowadays have a family; they have a mixture of many and varied lines.

Because a pigeon does well in Holland or Belgium, does not mean that it will automatically do well in Scotland. :)

Andy the best loft in Scotland is made up of continental birds the macs result have been brilliant for many a year

Andy the best loft in Scotland is made up of continental birds the macs result have been brilliant for many a year

What was it like a the start for them Alan? Did they blend the continentals into Scottish lines over a period of time and thus acclimatise their continentals? Did they suffer a lot of losses until they honed the continental lines that were brought in, if not blended? The Macs are about to enter their 4th generation of fanciers and with them,it is not just the birds; they, as a family, are dedicated to their pigeons beyond what most ordinary fanciers are and they are as much a part of the success of the continental lines as the pigeons are themselves.

I have never said that continental pigeons cannot fly / race into Scotland successfully. I do not think that continental pigeons are the sole answer. I think the fancier and their dedication / understanding of breeding, i.e. stock-man ability, are as important, if not more important than solely the pigeons.

Top fanciers could win with my pigeons. I have trouble flying a kite. :)

George Busschaert used several strains of birds to build his family and to this day many fanciers all over the UK are still winning with his bloodlines but just like the master himself you need to find by trial & error the right birds to cross with them to keep a winning family going, as with all the latest craze family names of today they are all bred down from the old strains of the past

George Busschaert used several strains of birds to build his family and to this day many fanciers all over the UK are still winning with his bloodlines but just like the master himself you need to find by trial & error the right birds to cross with them to keep a winning family going, as with all the latest craze family names of today they are all bred down from the old strains of the past

Yet in Belgium nobody had ever heard of Busschaert.....crazy

Pretty sure Dr Anderson and the like ever Andra Deans all introduced Belgian pigeons

IMO its the little fancier with the small number of birds thats putting up good performances week in week out in Europe that need to be studied and bought from ,if you look up some of the well known studs and fanciers selling birds they have pigeon lofts the size of small hamlets and breed an exceptional amount of young to flood the market with rubbish but on saying that i have this or that strain like everyone else.