The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

For the Scottish national Gold Cup race from Alencon 403 members sent 1472 birds these being the ‘cream’ of fanciers lofts and pigeons you look after all year for this one race. Baskets are dropped off at each marking station prior to the race marking and are then filled and loaded onto the transporter when it arrives at each station along with the empty baskets. I cannot believe that the national put 20 birds into each basket when we have not had over 1500 birds at this Gold Cup race in the past 10 years. What is the point in takin empty baskets in a transporter to a race point it doesn’t make sense. Fanciers are asked on their previous entry form how many birds do they intend to send to the next race so the officials should have an idea of how many birds will be going. Surely if the transporter holds 100 baskets then divide the amount of birds going to the race for example 1472 this would be 15 birds per basket. Instead of 20 birds per basket which is 74 therefore 26 empty baskets are taken for a ride. I would like to know if the last marking station (south section) uses up all their quota of basket by spreading the birds out. If so this information would help everyone within the club, because if they did do this could this be the reason the south section has more bird’s home than the remainder of Scotland. I’m not saying the south section fanciers don’t have good birds because they do but if they were honest with us and told us they had put less birds in the baskets then the birds would be able to gain access to the drinkers. Then this information could be given to the management committee and they change the number of birds in each basket. Surely it makes sense to have a small amount of pigeon in a basket so that they can ALL reach the drinkers. I’ve said it before DEHYDRATION is the killer of more pigeons than hawks. There are 2 x 12 drinkers on each basket and as we as pigeon fanciers all know these would soon be filled up with shavings as the birds move about the basket or flap their wings. So with 100 baskets this would mean 200 drinkers and it would take a good while to fill all these up. Then within a few hours they could be covered by shavings and the convoyer would have to go over the whole scenario of lifting out the shavings and topping up the water. Can you imagine yourself doing this and the answer if you are honest is ‘No Chance’. The convoyer has a hard job in front of him looking after a transporter of pigeon and it honestly depends on how dedicated these people are as it is not an easy shift. The welfare of the birds must come first and one of the most important issues is that EVERY BIRD IN A BASKET GETS A DRINK OF WATER. I am happy to say that a notice has been put up on the SNFC web site saying there will only be 17 birds per basket for the upcoming Ypres race. At long last a move in the right direction.

Now onto the race: the convoy were liberated on Monday 3rd July at 05-45 hours into a light south west wind. What can I say about the SNFC Gold Cup race other than it has turned out to be a disaster with 11 day birds and only 47 birds timed in 3 days with 24 of these from the south section; every other section except the north and far west of Scotland have been lucky enough to have birds to win the section. The race controller’s made the decision not to race mark on the Tuesday and did so on the Friday for the following Monday liberation as the weather forecast for the Friday and Saturday was not good. The convoy cleared the site in one batch and we all expected day birds and we made arrangements to go up to Kevin’s at teatime after he had finished his work. As we waited for word of arrivals Kevin showed me his Ypres candidates and I have to say I was very impressed with the condition and alertness of them and could not find fault with any of them. However there was a chequer hen that I fell in love with she was faultless (as far as I was concerned) and I told him this was my pick. He replied ‘Dad this bird was going to go to Alencon but she laid the night before Basketing for the race so I have had to send her to Ypres instead. All my 6 birds at Alencon are like this and I’m confident of getting a time in’. We waited and watched the sky then word on the lib line of 2 birds in the south section to J Gilmour at 19-10 the winner so well done Mr Gilmour. and Billy Van Nuil at 20-09 who won 5th open there were a few more in this section and then word of a cracking pigeon in the east section to Colin Crees of Ladykirk at 20-37 to win 1st east region 1st section B 2nd open he got another at 22-11 to win 3rd section B and east region 10th open and Sinclair Thompson & son of Port Seaton at 21-24 who won 2nd east region 2nd section B 3rd open these were all the east section birds on the day. Then word of a very good bird to C Grieve of Greengairs near Airdrie who timed the only west section bird on the day at 21-49 hours to win 1st west region 1st section E 4th open; truly great pigeon when you think only 11 pigeons from the convoy of 1470 made it home on the day. The next day Tuesday rained the whole day across central Scotland (see weather chart) with another 30 birds making it home on the 2nd day and as I write this column on Wednesday 4 more birds are on the lib-line but there could be more in as today is a beautiful day. Congratulations also to Davie Jamieson of East Calder who won 1st section D 17th open and Willie Pratt of Rosyth in Fife who won 1st section C 21st open. John Tyerman the president of the BICC sent an email to me saying ‘SNFC Alencon race seems to have been very difficult and sadly the weather on day 2 was not favourable in Scotland. I am seeing criticism of the liberation on 'pigeon chat' but in fairness the birds got a good start and clear channel crossing. The weather print out from Steve Appleby confirms this and I will send you a copy (see picture) it was good at Alencon and I can also confirm that independent web cam images taken from Alencon airfield show blue skies white cloud and good visibility around the time of the SNFC liberation. There is no doubt that an hour after lib, Alencon would have been under cloud cover but even on the channel Steve says the cloud was not rain bearing. As BICC regularly race from Alencon I would estimate that by 09-00 am the race day, the SNFC birds should have made the south coast, Kent/East Sussex area. It was a good flying day here on the Sussex coast, with force 4/5 SW winds on the channel and visibility was at least 15 miles. There was some drizzle in parts of SE England but that was forecast to move away into the North Sea. Whatever caused the poor returns is more likely to have occurred further up country. I genuinely believed you would have had more day birds into the south section around the 06-00 pm mark. Certainly the next day rainfall in Scotland was very bad and clearly this stopped the birds getting home on day 2. Joe, here are the weather images as discussed today. Steve supplied these for Ray White at my request and you will see Alencon was clear at time of liberation. Below three images giving the overall picture of weather conditions in France;

Pic 1; Alencon circled in under clear skies.

Pic 2; Cloud is approaching from the west (yellow arrows) and it would not be long before he loses the liberation sky. Fair amount of cloud over the channel but not rain bearing. This radar rainfall image identifies the drizzle over south east England at 06:00 hours this morning, which is moving eastwards off the line of flight.

Pic 3; The above image shows the extent of the cloud over most of France. Not the best of flying weather.

Cloud over channel at 7am

post-849-14999516157166_thumb.jpg

Cloud over France

post-849-14999516580716_thumb.jpg

Rain fall drizzle

post-849-14999516812018_thumb.jpg

Weather forcast for 7am

post-849-14999518006507_thumb.jpg

My thanks to John for the above and there are always two sides to a story. However I also phoned my good mate Guy Reed on the Isle of Wight between 09-00 and 10-00 am on the day of liberation of the Gold Cup birds and he informed me that it was raining in the channel at that time. So even a few miles along the south coast we have different weather reports.

Alencon or Reims

Obviously there has been a lot of discussion about the Alencon race point because of the losses incurred in this week’s race. Many fanciers believe that racing from Alencon the birds have too big a span of the English Channel to cross before reaching land. Also as I will point out in a few minutes the Gold Cup race is now a 2 day affair. It is ok pigeons getting into the south section or the Scottish borders but the majority of fanciers come from the central belt of Scotland and therefore time in the next day. This was nearly impossible this year as you will see from the weather chart and the race controllers need to take this into consideration. If it is a 2 day race then a late liberation on day one and every bird spends the night out. I also know that it is going to be hard to get 2 days of perfect weather all the way from France to Fraserburgh. However fancier’s birds MUST have a fighting chance of getting home and with a later liberation they are fresh to get up and work the next day. At the present time there was no consideration for pigeons north of the borders and as for the poor lads north of the Tay and in northern Scotland they do not have a hope in hell of getting a pigeon home on the day even if it was perfect weather. The last 2 SNFC races this year have been disasters with many good pigeons lost and this could kill the club as many fanciers have had enough and if the officials and management committee do not do something about it people will go else ware to race their pigeons. I personally would never join the other national club but I have to admit their officials are more forward thinking than the top brass at the SNFC. Their race programme has been the same for years and even though they only had over 200 birds at Reims they have had as good returns as the SNFC with near 1500 birds entered. Plus they also liberated their birds on Friday which was to be so bad that we cancelled the race till the following Monday. How did their race controller have a different weather report than the SNFC controller there are plenty of weather sites on the internet but this is not the problem it is the outcome of every race that is more important and the past 2 races with the SNFC have been disasters. I have stated many times that racing from Reims is a shorter channel crossing and the birds reach land quicker. It is the same with Ypres and we have had great racing from this race point over the years. There are other points that can be used for example Arras or Roye so why pick race points that are not on the same line of flight as the majority of fanciers race on a weekly basis. The majority of Scottish federations race down the east side of the country whereas Lanarkshire and Solway race down the west side. It was proposed that the SNFC race the current race programme for the next 5 years well if this is not changed at the a.g.m then the club will see a large exodus of members going the other way.

I have decided to check out the results of previous Gold Cup races. The first time the SNFC went to Alencon was in 2005 were 2244 birds were liberated at 13-15 pm into a light north east win. Taking 1st open was Frank Tarnawski of Valleyfield in Fife who timed at 09-37 on the 2nd morning for a velocity of 1084. The race continued the whole day and the last open position in this race was 224th open and was won by another Fife fancier in Eddie McWilliams of Blairhall who timed at 18-46 for a velocity of 673. The following year 2006 the convoy of 1556 birds were liberated at 06-30 am into a light north east wind. The winners were Mr & Mrs Guenther of Dumfries at 16-25 hours on the day and recorded a velocity of 1433 ypm. There were 70 day birds recorded and the last open position of 156th was won by M Wilson of Fife at 09-53 the following day for a velocity of 738. In 2007 the convoy of 1470 birds were liberated at 10-30 am with no birds on the day however the winner was timed at 04-30 am on the 2nd morning to W & S Aitchison of Eyemouth doing a velocity of 1225. Pigeons were timed throughout the day with the last open position of 148th open won by Gary Gilfillan of Newmains at 18-46 same day as the winner for a velocity of 586. The following year 2008 the 1419 birds were liberated at 12-45 hours into a west wind there was no day birds recorded but the winner was Gordon Willox of Peterhead (one of the best performances since 5 o’clock rock won the national) who timed at 10-58 am recording a velocity of 1107. Again pigeons were timed all morning with the last open position of 144th open won by K Howie of Musselburgh at 12-30 hours for a velocity of 858. In 2009 race the convoy of 1303 birds were liberated at 07-30am with no wind at the race point. The winner was E S McCarton of Annan at 20-46 hours for a velocity of 1049 there was only another 2 birds timed on the day both in the south section. Billy Allison of Cambuslang timed the first pigeon in the morning at 05-14 to win 1st west section and 4th open and birds were timed throughout the day with the last open position of 133rd open won by J J M Gillon of Motherwell at 17-37 hours recording a velocity of 550. We went to Reims in 2010 and Messac in 2011 returning to Alencon in 2012 with an entry of 1201 birds these were liberated at 06-30 into a south west wind with the winner in the south section to J M Dalgleish of Annan who timed at 15-52 hours for a velocity of 1486. There was 103 birds timed on the day in this fast race with the last open position of 123rd open was won by W Gray of Bonnyrigg at 05-46 am on the following morning for a velocity of 878. In 2013 the convoy of 1355 birds were liberated at 09-30 am into a light south west wind with the winner timed in Dundee to the loft of John Duthie at 04-58 am 2nd morning and recording a velocity of 1202. Birds were timed right throughout the morning and the 138th open and last position was won by D Gillespie of Blantyre at 12-10 hours recording a velocity of 746. The following year 2014 the convoy of 1427 birds were liberated at 07-45 am into a light south west wind with the Dumfries partnership of Skachill & McCormack timing at 20-38 hours and recording a velocity of 1106 with only 4 birds timed on the day all in the south section. Jim Hannah timed in at 05-21 to win 1st west section 5th open and birds were timed right through to mid-afternoon with the 146th open and last position was also won by a South section member E Warwick of Brydekirk at 12-25 hours to record a velocity of 604. In 2015 the convoy of 1416 birds were released at 06-45 am into a west to north west wind with the south section husband and wife partnership of Mr & Mrs G & P Power of Gretna taking the top spot with a velocity of 1220 timing in at 18-07 hours. 35 day pigeons were timed with 19 of them south section pigeons the remaining 16 from sections B 8; D 3; E 4; and F 1. The remaining 135 open positions were won the 2nd day with A Nicholson of Annan winning the last place of 145th at 08-06 am with a velocity of 701. So out of the 9 Alencon nationals 5 have been won in the south section; 2 in section C and 1 each in section B & G. When reading the above you will have noticed that it is a 2 day race and the drop in velocities from the winner to the last open position bird in the race which on average is about half. It is the same with races from Reims in the 4 races flown from this race point starting in 2002 the convoy of 2650 birds were liberated at 06-05 into a light north west wind with the winner R V Graham of Langholm at 20-48 for a velocity of 1011 again there was only 7 day birds timed all in the south section and Jim Mullen of Lumphinnans in Fife timed 2 birds within 2 minutes to win 7th & 8th open. Pigeons were timed throughout the morning and the 177th open and last bird on the open result was to A & R Pringle of Gorebridge at 10-40 am for a velocity of 691. The following year was much better as the convoy of 3168 birds the most pigeons entered into a Gold Cup race since Rennes in 1997. The convoy were liberated at 06-05 into a light north west wind the winners were R J Rome of Annan at 18-46 hour recording a velocity of 1166 and there was 69 day birds timed in and the last open position of 317th was won by S Mullen of Port Glasgow just after noon at 12-17 pm for a velocity of 700 ypm. Seven years later we returned to Reims when the convoy of 1187 birds were liberated at 06-15 am into a light North West wind. The winner was John Duthie of Dundee at 20-02 hours on the day recording a velocity of 1237 with another 57 day birds being recorded and pigeons were timed from early morning to the last open place of 121st won by E & E Crabb of Monifieth who timed at 08-56 with a velocity of 799. Last year 2016 we again flew Reims with 1330 birds competing and these were liberated at 08-45 am into a light north west wind there was no birds on the day and the winner was George Veitch of Pencaitland in East Lothian at 05-17am 2nd day for a velocity of 1062 and 97 birds were timed on the day with the pigeon winning the last open position of 113 flying to D Mathieson & son of Coalburn at 12-10 the following day for a velocity of 401. By looking at the above races Reims seems to be the best race and the fairest however it is also notable that to have a fair a race as possible for ALL of Scotland then we need to have a midday liberation or a release were ALL pigeons spend the night out. There is no good having pigeons into the south section and the remainder of Scotland excluded from the race. The fanciers in Fraserburgh or Peterhead pay the same fees and birdage as the south so therefore should not be excluded from winning the national. I could go on and on but I think you will have got the jiff of what I have tried to prove.

Helping Fanciers

Phone call from Harold Broadhurst of Crewe in Cheshire who gave up the birds 13 years ago however he still gets his BHW pigeon paper and reads it from cover to cover. A month or so ago Harold caught a racing pigeon at the nearby ASDA superstore and reported it to the SHU. This bird belonged to a Mr W Smart who from the west section who lost the bird at a race from Stafford. He made arrangements for a courier to go and collect the bird and it was returned back to its home in Scotland. Low and behold Harold noticed it back at ASDA pairing up to a ferial hen he has tried phoning Mr Smart but his mobile keeps ringing out. Hence his phone call to me asking if I would put the above information in my column in the event that Mr Smart may read it. I thanked Harrold for taking the time and explained there is no good Mr Smart sending for it now it is better staying with the hen and who knows maybe in the winter time it will get something into its head and return home to Bonny Scotland. FOOTNOTE Harold has phoned to say that it is not the same pigeon but has a ring on its leg but is a different colour.

Received another phone call from Mike Couglhan of Wales reporting a bird SU16A 1966 he informed me that the bird was well down when it came into him but he has built it up and is hoping to get the transport driver to liberate it 140 miles north of him at next week’s race. I have contacted Archie McIntyre of Ayrshire federation who sends me in his weekly results and I also gave him Mike’s phone number so the owner can get in contact with him it is 07955191818 hope this situation works out well and thanks once again to Mike for all his trouble.

Joe’s Joke

A woman and a man are lying in bed next to each other when her phone rings.

She picks up; the man looks over at her and listens. She is speaking in a cheery voice, "Hi, I'm so glad you called. Really? That's wonderful. I'm so happy for you. That sounds terrific. Great! Thanks. Okay. Bye." She hangs up, and the man asks, "Who was that?" "Oh, she replies, "that was my husband telling me about the great time he's having on his golf trip with you."

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com Pigeon Racing the Basics who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy