The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

This past week I have been meeting up with Kevin early in the morning and collecting the birds and bringing them down to Thornton for a training toss. It is about 40 miles as the crow flies and touching wood we have had some very good training tosses so far. As I write this article today 14th June Kevin has picked out 23 birds to go to this week’s Scottish national race from Portsmouth (Bedhampton) a distance of 400 miles to the loft in Arbroath. The majority of these birds had the Leicester race 2 weeks ago a distance of 280 miles so the extra 120 miles (weather permitting) should not be a problem to the team. Margaret and I enjoy going up to Arbroath and sitting with Kevin watching for the birds as it gives us a chance to catch up on family matters or other topics of conversation. It is just nice to sit and relax and enjoy each other’s company. I also get great pleasure from seeing the bird arrive home and then finding out their breeding as I may have bred them in my loft. When the time comes for the babies to go up to Kevin that is the last I see of them until they come home from a race. As you can imagine they change over the months and once they get to this stage in their lives unless Kevin tells me that the bird is bred from pair X Y or Z then I would not know as they have changed in appearance so much. I do the breeding side while Kevin does all the hard work so it is very fitting that he receives the praise for any success that the birds achieve. At the moment he is up at 05-00am (sometimes before this) as I meet him at 06-00 for training. Then he goes home does his chores about the loft (I text him when the trainers are liberated) and he can then go and have breakfast, get showered and ready for work then attend to the trainers when they come home. Whereas I can attend to my own birds at my leisure as I have all day to do my chores. Like everyone else this is the busiest time of the year for our sport especially with the old birds as the main races are now approaching. Before too long it will be all over for another year and if you do not do the work now then it is too late and it is no good saying ‘Oh I should have done this or that’ there is always next year but to me the time is NOW you do not know what is in front of you so strike while the iron is hot so to speak. As we all know it comes down to the race day and for that few seconds when you catch a glimpse of a bird heading towards the loft wings back and within 10/20 seconds it is all over as the bird enters the loft. But believe me to see this happen is what it is all about. These few precious moments are worth getting up early in the morning and driving all those miles just for the sight of that bird shutting its wings as it arrives home. I can still see ‘Mystical Rose’ dropping onto the trap 25 years ago this week to win 1st Scottish National Sartilly and that sight will live with me forever. The day that I lose that feeling of enjoyment in my pigeons is when I know it will be time to give the birds up but until that happens I will enjoy my participation with my son Kevin and hope he continues to achieve more success with our team of birds.

SNFC 2017 Year Book

I wonder if anyone has a spare copy of the above book as I have tried to obtain one without success. As many of you know after the racing season I like to highlight Good SNFC Birds in my column. However I have to double check each bird’s results before going to print and even at that I still sometimes make mistakes. But the most important issue is I’m trying to give these wonderful pigeons some publicity for their achievements. So if anyone has a spare copy I can have I would be very grateful either that or I just delete this feature in my column.

Gran Canaria One Loft Race 2016/17

Rosie Armit has forwarded some information regarding blue white flight SU16 9335 only entry of club mates Turpie & McCord of Pitlessie. He has been 10 times in the first 100 and in the final race and he won 16th open from an entry of 1497 birds in the competition and was the only Scottish bird on the open result flying over 400km over the sea. He flew 1500km in the total races and his sire is from a Vandenabeele x Eagleson Busschaert (has 3 x 1st club wins) crossed with Jock King of Kirkcaldy famous Mary lines. His dam was a gift bird from an Irish fancier that came into Terry Turpie loft as a stray and she has 3 SNFC certificates flying for the partnership.

Loss of Pigeons

David Armour of Leven showed me a picture he was sent by a lad from Frome in Somerset who was on a boat 6 miles from Brighton. When he seen a group of racing pigeons trying to land on his mates boat, some of these birds landed into the sea. I hope the staff at the paper can use this photograph to go with this little topic.

Results

For the week between the 2 inland Scottish national races Angus federation were racing from Tow Law with 360 birds liberated along with Dundee federation at 07-00 hours into a brisk south wind. Angus federation is once again filled with Forfar members taking the top 20 positions with Macaulay Fergusson and Curran topping the federation and also winning 3rd 9th 10th 11th 12th & 20th open. 2nd 4th 15th & 17th open is Bob Baldie with Davie Glen winning 5th 6th 18th & 19th open. David J Liddle is 7th & 13th open with Ian Scott winning 8th 14th & 16th open. The East Section winners are Glen Cameron of Arbroath who wins the section plus 6th 7th & 10th positions with bird flying in the Inchcape club. D & D Hay of Gourdon are 2nd & 8th section with Kevin J Murphy of Arbroath wining 3rd & 5th section. Charlie Cameron of Arbroath club is 4th with Les McKay of Inchcape club is 9th.

Club Winners are as follows; Forfar 205 bird’s winners Macaulay Fergusson and Curran: Arbroath 56 birds winner Glen Cameron: Inchcape; 44 bird’s winner Glen Cameron: Gourdon club 14 birds winners D & D Hay: Montrose 41 birds winners G Campbell.

Arbroath RPC for the 8th old bird race of the season had 3 members sent 56 birds; with top spot going to Glen Cameron flying 129 miles with a yearling doing a velocity of 1620. 2nd club is Kevin J Murphy also with a yearling doing 1596 this bird is bred from Kevin’s ‘Alencon Pair’ the sire won 11th section C 86th open SNFC Alencon 573 miles and the dam won 20th section C 120th open SNFC Alencon. 3rd club goes to Charlie Cameron with a 5 year old black cock 6 yards behind Kevin’s timer. He is from a black hen that was 13th open Reims and 6th open Ypres when she was mated to a son of Snowcap winner of 4th open Reims.

Ayrshire Federation

News from Archie McIntyre the federation race secretary who writes; ‘Hi Joe for our 6th race of the season this was due to be flown from Melton Mowbray on the 27th May. However the top table took the decision early in the week ‘based on the race controller recommendation’ to change the race point to Retford. This would allow us to sit alongside Glasgow and South Lanarkshire federations once again and with the possibility of a joint liberation the same as what happened in the previous week’s race from Wetherby. Unfortunately the joint liberation was not able to take place as one of the other organisations did not want a joint liberation with the Ayrshire birds, so, it was left for Ayrshire to go on their own. Jim O’Hare our race controller had the convoy of 396 Ayrshire birds away at 08-35 hours into a light west wind for a journey of between 197 to 233 miles fly for the Ayrshire birds. This race turned out to be a very hard race with some fanciers who have been very consistent this year in the federation not getting a timer and many others with less than 25% of their team home at clock checking. Leading the pack this week taking 1st federation on 1041 is Terry Logan of Kilmarnock Invitation club with a yearling chequer ‘Leo Van Rijn’ hen flown on the roundabout system. Terry has his birds flying exceptional well this year in the federation previously winning 4th & 5th federation Berwick 1,353 birds: 5th federation Sedgefield 1,104 birds and 20th federation Wetherby 661 birds. As a young bird his winner won 1st club Kilmarnock Invitation her sire is ‘Beauty King 599’and comes from the lofts of Mr & Mrs Duggins and on the dam side, I unfortunately do not have any details of her.

2nd fed this week doing a velocity of 1015 is a good friend of mine, Eben Stewart of Mauchline. I must mention the good work Eben has done for years now; he has gone out his way sometimes every week and travels down to Dumfries & Galloway to collect Ayrshire, Lanarkshire as well as Glasgow strays and brings them back up the road with him and then contacts the owners. He evens takes the Lanarkshire birds through to Lanarkshire if they are fit and liberates them. Eben has done this all at his own expense and never asks for anything in return, so I just though a wee mention to recognise the work he does for his fellow fanciers in the West of Scotland. I should also like to mention, this would not be possible without the help of the fanciers in the Solway Federation who collects these birds up from around the Dumfries & Galloway area as well as the Cumbria region to allow this to happen. Eben’s 2nd federation winner is a yearling Delbar crossed Van Loon cock flow natural and was sitting 7 days on eggs going into this race. This cock flew the young bird programme and has had every old bird race this season so far. This was a gift bird Eben received from a very good friend and true gentleman, namely Bobby Colvin of Newcastle. 3rd federation this week on 1005, is Harvey Pollock of Irvine, who looks to be coming back to his old self again as the birds just rattled in as if they were returning from a 50 mile training toss and not the 220 mile race that turned out to be a very hard indeed. This yearling cock of Harvey’s is flown on the widowhood his sire previously won 1st club, 1st centre section from the Sedgefield race in 2016. The Great grandsire scored in the SNFC Ypres 2009 race taking 1st section F, 34th open.

In and around the Clubs starting with the North Section (172 birds)

Dalry (57 birds) 1st John Shepherd 995, 2nd A Barbour 934 3rd Jim Shepherd 926

Ardeer (68 birds) 1st A Howie 956, 2nd J Donald 930, 3rd W Hughes 927

Kilwinning (30 birds) 1st & 3rd J McNeil 960 & 931, 2nd J & T Davidson 934

Central Section (124 birds)

Irvine (68 birds) 1st & 3rd H Pollock 1005 & 1000, 2nd T Blakely 1001

Crosshouse (19 birds) 1st & 3rd A Wilson 949, 826, 2nd I Noble 937

Kilmarnock (16 birds) 1st, 2nd & 3rd T Logan 1041, 906, 893

Darvel (38 birds) 1st, 2nd & 3rd Cowan & Findlay 1000, 948, 902

South Section (100 birds)

Mauchline (21 birds) 1st E Stewart 1015, 2nd J Watters 666 3rd A Plenderleith 613

Cumnock (0) No Birds Sent

Dalmellington (17 birds) 1st H Bell 809

Carrick (0) No birds sent

Annbank (32 birds) 1st J Mathieson 2nd & 3rd D Harris 832 & 823

Whitletts (30 birds) 1st & 2nd Cree & Cuthbert 941 & 932 3rd M Brown 863

For the 7th race of the season the federation duplicated in with SNFC race from Buckingham with 282 birds being liberated as part of 4,170 SNFC convoy at 08-15 into a moderate west wind and the thinking around the federation was the east side of the country would clean up once again. How wrong we were: as leading the way into the Ayrshire federation this week and putting up an outstanding performance to record 1st federation, 1st section F, 56th open SNFC Buckingham on a velocity of 1358.5 is Alex Howie of the Ardeer Homing Society. Alex's winning pigeon is a 2 year old cock raced on widowhood; he has flown consistently for Alex this season always in the first 2 or 3 birds back to loft having had every federation race this season. He was bred by his nephew David who Alex was in partnership with the season of the bird’s birth 2015 and he was taken to Alex new lofts and broken and raced in 2016 but homed hawked from his 4th race that year. His breeding is from David and Alex good friend and SNFC winning loft of Andy Miller of Edinburgh. The sire is from Kevin Lawson being Van Loon (7097) bloodlines crossed P40 winner of 28th open Ypres as well as 1st & 10th federation Wetherby. The Dam is from P23 (Kuwaiti Pair) which is responsible for winners out to SNFC Ypres.

Andy feels they are better inland pigeons as brothers and sisters have won in the region of £5000 for him x 5991 a very promising pigeon with 5 x top 10 federation positions till homing injured from Maidstone. Alex said his section winner (3118) was normally a quiet cock sometimes unable to hold his box, but that changed a few weeks ago when Alex and his wife Liz were sitting in the garden and (3118) started fighting another cock on the landing board and knocked the other cock off and started showing a lot more aggression about himself. The following week’s race was from Retford, Alex was sitting in the garden waiting when (3118) must have arrived from the back of the loft as Alex just heard the thump as he hit the landing board that hard. He went on to win 1st club, 1st 2 BCC Ardeer club and 10th federation flying 223 miles doing a velocity of 956 ypm into a west wind. This cock has won in the region of £500 in the last 2 weeks for Alex and as it is everyone's prerogative, Alex had started the season and asked his birds to get to the inland Buckingham race and they would be stopped for the season and I'm sure they have earned their rest; once again many congratulations Mr Howie. Many thanks also to Colin Nicol the ever hard working secretary for Ardeer HS for sending in Alex Howie’s report. 2nd federation this week on 1317 and also taking 4th section F, 143rd open SNFC 4,170 birds is Willie Lawrence of the Whitletts Club in Ayr. Willie is no stranger to putting in top performance when it counts and has already topped the federation earlier in the season. Flying as far west as Willie does into the coastal town of Ayr makes Willes’s performance all the more evident. Willie’s fine looking 2 year old dark chequer has previously won, 1st South section 569 birds, 6th federation 1,658 birds Sedgefield in 2016. Willie pigeon was the only south section bird to make the top 20 in the federation that week where the remaining 19 positions were taken up with the north section pigeons. Willie had his 2 year cock sitting 12 days on eggs prior to going to Buckingham. The breeding is Gerry Clements crossed David Coward Talbot and is the best lines of Krommen, C Hebberecht x Danny Boy who was 1st, 5th and 7th N.W.C.C. x The Cerafin winner of 1st National Limoges. 3rd federation this week on 1298 and also taking 5th Section F, 212th open SNFC is Derek McCullen of Kilmaurs, flying in the Irvine club. Another great performance put up by an Ayrshire member. Derek was telling me he was vaccinating his birds with his friend Mick Hilland and only realised he had timed in when he had a look at his ETS clock when they had finished vaccinating his young birds. This 3 year old blue bar cock was flying on the roundabout system and was un-flown as a young bird, as a yearling the pigeon was flown through the Lanarkshire federation out to about 200 miles then as a 2 year old was sent with the Ayrshire North Road Federation. This year he has had 2 races, Sedgefield and Wetherby with Ayrshire federation prior to going to Buckingham. The parents on both sides are both pigeons from Derek’s good friend Rex Doe of Cornwall. This family of pigeons has served Derek well over the years as well as other fanciers up and down the country.

In and around the Clubs starting with the North Section (126 birds)

Dalry - 1st T Smith 1201, 2nd Jim Shepherd 1181, 3rd A Barbour 1075

Ardeer - 1st A Howie 1358, 2nd J & S O’Hare 1158, 3rd J Stirrat 1155

Kilwinning - 1st & 2nd J McNeil 1277, 991, 3rd J & T Davidson 95

Central Section (74 birds)

Irvine - 1st D McCullen 1298, 2nd H Pollock 1217, 1000, 3rd A Connelly 1202

Crosshouse - 1st A Wilson 961, 2nd A McCullen

Kilmarnock – No Birds timed.

Darvel - 1st J & R Bryson 1273, 2nd R Donegan 1158, 3rd Cowan & Findlay 1150

South Section (82 birds)

Mauchline - 1st A Plenderleith 780, 2nd E Stewart 613

Cumnock - No Birds timed.

Dalmellington - 1st & 2nd G Mitchell 782, 607

Carrick – 1st & 2nd A Lothian 779, 771

Annbank – 1st B Lenachan 915, 2nd D Paterson 901, 3rd G Morrison 874

Whitletts – 1st W Lawrence 1317, 2nd & 3rd Cree & Cuthbert 895, 883

Joe I have attached 3 photographs to go with this report these are of Alex Howie’s

1st federation, 1st section F, 56th open. Willie Lawrence winner of 2nd federation, 4th section F and 143rd open. Derek McCullen winner of 3rd federation, 5th Section F and 212th open. Thanks again Joe it is good to see our federation members receiving some good publicity for their birds efforts cheers Archie’.

East of Scotland Federation news from John Baillie of Tranent who writes ‘Hi Joe, our race controller Bobby Graham decided on Wednesday morning to basket the birds for Newark on the Thursday with hopefully a mid-morning liberation on the Friday due to the poor forecast for Saturday. I thought was a good decision as this gave any birds going to Bedhampton an extra couple of days in the loft. Race Controller John Parry had the birds away at 10-10 into south west wind.

Now onto the result for the East Of Scotland federation and taking the 1st open for the 4th time this year is Graham Wardhaugh of Dirleton. Graham also took 3rd and 6th open positions. The federation winning bird this week was also 1st open the previous week from Wetherby and the other 2 birds have also taken many top 10 positions this year including his 3rd bird topping the Federation from Ridsdale. Davidson Partners of Prestonpans take the 2nd spot with Tam Hunnam of Port Seton filling the 4th, 7th & 10th positions. Mr & Mrs Burgess of Ormiston are 5th open, with George Veitch of East Saltoun winning 8th place. Brian Laverty of Prestonpans is in 9th open spot.

Prestonpans HC taking 1st and 2nd positions we have Tam Hunnam and the loft manager Corker Thomson phoned with the birds details this week. The winner is a yearling chequer cock and is a Braspenning crossed Van Reet this bird topped the federation as a youngster and was 3rd federation from Newark this year. The bird taking 2nd spot is a pure Braspenning. Taking the 3rd place is Brian Laverty sorry no details. Thanks once again Joe for the coverage and All The Best to you and Kevin for the up-coming national programme yours John B’.

Fife Federation

Received an email from Gordon Turnbull the secretary of the federation who wrote ‘Hi Joe, please find the race result that we had a problem at the liberation with after discussing it at the June Fife Federation Council Meeting we have decided to publish the result kindest regards Gordon’.

From the Alnwick race flown on the 29th April 2259 birds were liberated at 08-45am into a north east wind. Taking the first 8 plus 10th open place is Dave Baldie of St Andrew he also took the top 10 places in the east section with his family of Willie Donachie Frans Zwols super-fast pigeons. Kennoway sending 221 birds; Methilhaven 144 birds; Leven 211 birds; St Andrews 166 birds and Tayport 60 birds. Going back to the first 10 in the open Erskine & son of Novar club won 9th open.

Centre Section had Glenrothes club sending 172 birds with Novar sending 190 birds. Erskine & son of Novar take the 1st x 4 places plus 8th & 9th section. Mick McMurchie of Glenrothes is 5th with Brian Kinnear of the same club in 6th & 7th places. The 10th spot goes to Turpie & McCord of the same Glenrothes club.

The west section had Perth sending 200 birds; Lochgelly with 218 birds; Dunfermline with 255 birds and Crossgates with 432 birds. The section was dominated by 2 lofts Stuart Donaldson of Perth who took the first 7 places and George Anderson taking the remaining 3 places.

The Federation members sent 1126 birds to Alnwick 2 on the 11th June with the convoy being liberated at 07-25 hours into a south west wind. R Anderson of St Andrews takes the first 5 birds plus another 2 in 7th & 8th in the East section and open. John Harcus is 6th & 10th with Dave Baldie of the same club winning 9th open. Birdage for the East section was as follows; Tayport 19; Kennoway 164; St Andrews 102 birds; Methilhaven 101 birds and Leven 113th birds.

The Centre section had Novar club sending 75 birds with Glenrothes sending 104 birds. Topping the section and also winning 7th 8th 9th & 10th section are the Glenrothes membership of Turpie & McCord. With club mate Brian Kinnear in 2nd place followed by Mick McMurchie who wins 3rd 4th 5th & 6tj places.

The west section had Perth sending 7 birds Dunfermline 101 birds; Crossgates 219 birds and Lochgelly 121 birds. Taking the first 3 and 10th places are the McCord & Turpie partnership with Jock Brockie of Lochgelly in 4th 5th 7th 8th & 9th positions. C Wright of the same club is 6th section.

Glenrothes & Leslie Pigeon Club sent 144 birds to the Leicester open race and taking 1st club was Ian Chalmers with a velocity of 1203 this was a yearling grizzle cock sent sitting 8 day on eggs. His dam is a granddaughter of ‘Bianchi’ from Ponderosa UK stud. His sire is a Van Loon from the Silver Bullet line also from Ponderosa UK stud. Ian said it was the best trap he'd seen, the bird just turned in the air and went straight through the open bowl, well done Ian. 2nd & 3rd places were won by Mick McMurchie but No info. From the Buckingham race the club members sent 58 birds with the winner going to Brian Kinnear on a velocity of 1315 this was a 2 year old chequer hen sitting on 5 day eggs. Her sire is a son of George & Brian Hunters hen ‘Kingdom Katie’ and her dam is a granddaughter of Stitchy. 2nd club are Turpie & McCord on 1313 with a 2 year old blue cock sent sitting 5 day eggs. His sire is a Dougie Hain ‘Dordin’ and his dams is a Lerman gift bird from Dougie Barnes of Crossgates. He has won various good positions - winning 5th section in the federation was well up including winning 3rd & 5th etc. He is half- brother to a 22nd section 9th open Clermont SNFC, 22nd section 58th open Ypres SNFC and 4th section 16th open Roye SNFC. (must be a SNFC Silver Award Winner Joe M) 3rd club are Turpie & McCord on 1288 with a 4 year old blue cock sent sitting 8 day eggs. His sire is a son of Austin Whittaker’s 1st open Ypres and his dam a daughter of Kevin and Lee Buddle of Dover pied hen "Buddy" winner of 4th open Pau that’s it for this week Joe yours Rosie’.

Dunfermline LRPS news from David Kennedy with the Alnwick (comeback race) were 7 members sent 101 birds. Frank Mitchell wins this week with a velocity of 1256.98 ypm velocity: He timed his previous club winner who is a 3 year old cock chasing his hen to the nest, the bird was bred by Wattie Sharp from his Frank Tasker bloodlines. Taking 2nd club is Alistair McInnes with a velocity of 1256.46 yard per minute he timed a homebred yearling widowhood cock who contains the Pow Janssen bloodlines. Also taking 3rd is Alistair with a home bred 3 year old widowhood cock with the bloodlines being Cattrysse. The nomination and two bird this week were both won by Alistair McInnes.

St Andrews RPC new from the Ripon race with an entry of 167 birds the form loft of Dave Baldie is 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th & 8th with his team of Frans Zwols pigeons with the first 2 winning 6th & 7th federation (2135 birds). John Harcus is 3rd, 5th, 9th & 10th. From the Wakefield race the members sent 157 birds winning 5 races on the bounce is the inform loft of Dave Baldie, with the fantastic team of Frans Zwols pigeons who win 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 9th & 10th they also win 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th & 10th federation from an entry of 1929 birds (see pictures attached of the four Fife federation winners). From the Leicester race the winner is R Anderson with his 2nd pigeon winning 5th prize. Dave Baldie wins 2nd, 6th, 8th & 10th and John Harcus wins 3rd, 4th, 6th & 8th. A big well done to the St Andrews club as they win the first 3 positions in the Fife federation open race from 1690 entries.

Lanarkshire Federation news from Andrew Eadie who writes ‘Hi Joe, last Saturday was our 8th race of the season from Buckingham and what a cracking race it turned out to be with our members duplicating back in from the Scottish national flying club. The Lanarkshire federation had 1010 birds liberated on 3rd June into a west wind with our club having 16 members sending 168 birds and taking 1st ,3rd ,5th & 7th club 1st ,4th ,7th & 9th section, 3rd ,7th ,15th & 31st open federation and the icing on the cake in the SNFC winning 4th ,7th ,16th ,77th 110th Reg E 7th,17th ,41st open is Tam Richardson timing in all 2 year olds flown on the roundabout system and bred down from his very successful ‘Auld Blue Craigneuk’ lines and their and his health is maintained with supplements from his ‘Mad Skull Bottle’ . (well done Tam Joe M) 2nd ,4th ,6th club, 3rd ,6th ,8th ,14th & 15th section 6th 14th ,17th ,41st & 43rd open federation and in the SNFC winning 6th ,14th ,18th ,44th ,45th ,95th region E, 16th ,35th ,50th open are the Eadie & Kelly partnership with their very successful Kruger and Vandenabeele’s lines raced on 6 days eggs and roundabout systems. Lastly I'd like to personally congratulate the ‘Macaloney’s’ on their Scottish National win and well done to all who had some cracking positions in their respective clubs; federations; sections and opens. Next week we should have been at Charnock but due to adverse weather reports it was cancelled and we now move up another gear to Bedhampton a distance of 365 miles to our loft with the SNFC. Good Luck to all who compete and for those whose expectations were disappointed in the last race Your Turn Will Come; Photograph to follow of Tam Richardson and myself who took the 1st x 7 positions in the club. Good Luck to you and Kevin in the national Joe all the best Andy’.

North of Scotland Federation

News from George Duthie of the Worksop old bird race flown on the 11th June with 54 members sending 655 birds these were liberated into a south west wind with the East Section having 28 members sending 391 birds. The won the first 11 open positions in the federation. 1st open and 1st east section is J ( Ian ) Gibb of Fraserburgh & District club he was doing a velocity of 1802 and was the only bird in the convoy to do so. 2nd 3rd 4th 5th & 6th section and open is Stewart Maskame of Peterhead & District club (I was speaking to Stewart via facetime prior to this race so well done mate Joe M) 7th section and open goes to A Higgins of Fraserburgh & District club with George P Taylor of Peterhead & District club taking 8th & 9th positions. Clint & M Williams of the same Peterhead club wins 10th & 11th section and open. The West Section had 26 members sending 264 birds with G Wilson of Devern Valley club winning 1st & 2nd section 16th & 24th federation. Club mate A Mair (John) is 3rd section 31st open with A J Reid of Keith club winning 4th 7th & 9th section 32nd 35th & 38th open. R Wilson of the same club is 5th & 8th west section 33rd & 36th open. R Wilson & Family of Devern Valley are 6th west section 34th open with G R Duncan of Keith club making up the top 10 in the west section and he also wins 39th open.

Clubs first bird are as follows;

Peterhead & District won by S Maskame

Fraserburgh West End won by R Higgins

Devern Valley won by G Wilson

Keith won by A J Reid

Inverurie won by A & A Milne

Elgin & District won by W Ritchie

Forres, Nairn & Inverurie won by S Taylor

Buckie & District won by J Cumming

Fraserburgh & District won by J (Ian) GIBB

Well done to Ian Gibb on topping the federation and also congratulations to Gordon Wilson on winning the West Section

Pentland Hills Federation

News from Andy Miller who writes ‘Hi Joe, a good decision to basket the race birds on Thursday for a Friday race with 13 clubs sending 1261 birds. Liberated at 10-10 into a south west wind it turned out a good race with most pigeons home within the hour of the first birds clocked from a distance of 210 to 222 miles. Winning 1st New Lothian and Pentland Hills Federation is the form loft of Willie Pryde & Son John (aka Bubba) who timed their yearling Roland Janssen hen flying celibate, bred from Louella Pigeon World stock. Brothers and sisters to this hen have won many federation tickets in the last few years. The partnership were also 3rd federation with D & J Allen of Woodburn in 2nd place with A Lawson of Easthouses I 4th spot followed by Bonnyrigg member A Dewar L Mitchell of Castlebrae is 6th with A W Robertson of Danderhall in 7th spot he is followed by club mates Willie Kinnear & son in 8th place and M Bennett of the same club is 9th followed by another Danderhall loft of A Young who makes up the top ten.

Club Winners;

Easthouses 126 birds; 1st & 2nd W. Pryde & Son 3rd A Lawson

Woodburn 86 birds; 1st D & J Allen 2nd Lapinski 3rd Brown & Black

Bonnyrigg 102 birds; 1st A Dewar 2nd J Dewar 3rd Benson

Castlebrae 32 birds; 1st & 3rd L Mitchell 2nd A Mitchell

Danderhall 297 birds; 1st A.W. Robertson 2nd Kinnear 3rd Bennett

Loanhead 80 birds; 1st & 3rd Simpson 2nd Murray

Sighthill 79 birds; 1st Miller 2nd & 3rd Girdwood

Edinburgh Premier 86 birds; 1st & 3rd Gilchrist 2nd McLaughlin

Edinburgh West 58 birds; 1st & 3rd Bennett 2nd Lamb

Rosewell 39 birds; 1st McCormack 2nd Cunningham & Ness 3rd G. Tytler & Son 1181 Peebles 17 birds;

New Lothian 32 birds;

Traprain 209 birds; 1st & 2nd Thomson 3rd Newcombe & Black

Others 18 birds;

New Lothian RPC Newark race flown on Friday 9th June liberated at 10-10 hours into a south west wind. Willie Pryde & son are 1st and 3rd winning nearly £200 for their efforts. 2nd places goes to D & J Allen of Woodburn with A Lawson of Easthouses in 4th place L Mitchell of Castlebrae has a good lift winning a couple of pounds short of £500. A W Robertson of Danderhall lifts the tidy sum of £213 for his efforts with Willie Kinnear & son of Danderhall 6th spot just ahead of M Bennett also from Danderhall with another club mate A Young in 9th place and J Pryde of Easthouses is 10th & 11th.

Alex Howie 1st Fed Buckingham

post-849-14981348026285_thumb.jpg

W Lawrence 2nd Fed Buckingham

post-849-14981351021567_thumb.jpg

Derek McCullen 3rd Fed Buckingham

post-849-14981348333051_thumb.jpg

Dave Baldie's 1st Fife Fed Wakefield

post-849-14981348579693_thumb.jpg

Terry Logan 1st Fed Retford

post-849-14981348851318_thumb.jpg

Eben Stewart 2nd Fed Retford

post-849-14981350514985_thumb.jpg

Joe’s Joke

Bringing back some memories?

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when I was growing up?' 'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.

'All the food was slow.' 'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?' 'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. ! 'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.' By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it: Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school... I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10 years old. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 PM, after playing the national anthem and epilogue. It came back on the air at about 6 am and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... BUT milk and morning rolls were. All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers my brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get up at 6 every morning for 10 shillings a week (50 pence nowadays).

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing. Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com Pigeon Racing the Basics who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy