• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Club:blantyre greenfield WSCC hamilton independent SNFC SNRPC

Posted 19 June 2017 - 21:59 PM

View Postyeboah, on 19 June 2017 - 22:54 PM, said:

Just my opinion ,I feel the birds are being cared for to a very high standard
They are returning home in the same condition as they are sent
the cocks that were home in good time Saturday flew for an hour plus this morning and longer tonight as fresh as paint
My Bugbear is and has been for years Numbers in baskets
What the difference 20 sitting in high temperatures in France
And 22 having to sit in the same high temperatures in England
Crazy Crazy Rules passed by Pigeon Men
The absolute fortunes we spend on pigeons and we fail miserably with the basics
Whether it be inland or channel the rule should be 16 max
If it costs a £1 more so be it ,anyone with a gripe with that give them up
By Law water should have to be provided on three sides ,the same would apply to feeding
I'll gladly put a proposal in for 16 max if someone is willing to second it
The convoyers are doing a wonderful job its not their fault if birds cant access water because of numbers
As I stated just my democratic opinion
Atb Mick

thats a start mick i would second that :drinking-coffee-200:

#42 User is offline   jbee 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationTranent
  • Club:Prestonpans

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:07 PM

View PostRebus, on 19 June 2017 - 21:24 PM, said:

When I was secretary of South Lanarkshire Fed. I issued the convoyer with a thermometer which took readings inside and outside and he put them on his report weekly at that time we used the wicker baskets and the readings were always lower inside than outside even on the warmest of days,I don't think any readings are taken now.

When I was working I borrowed data loggers, which recorded every minute and used it a couple of times. I could tell you when the driver stopped for his supper and when he arrived at race point, as the temperature increased drastically. I believe even with the Geraldys against wicker baskets there would be no difference in heat within the baskets /crates when the the transporter stops. Yes with the newer crates in Geraldy there is 3sides for drinking, but look at the NFC And the Midland National over the last few weeks they have also suffered bad races and that's with Geraldy and similar designs. I personally believe it's a combination of radars from the major airports down that side of the country and the knowing fact of the huge Perigrine population around that area . It's a known fact at between 5am and 6 am planes are stacking up waiting to land at 6am at Gatwick and Heathrow as that's the earliest they are aloud to land .What ever happened on Saturday had very soon after liberation
John Baillie

#43 User is offline   eric owenson 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationmidlothian
  • Club:Danderhall

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:08 PM

View Postyeboah, on 19 June 2017 - 22:54 PM, said:

Just my opinion ,I feel the birds are being cared for to a very high standard
They are returning home in the same condition as they are sent
the cocks that were home in good time Saturday flew for an hour plus this morning and longer tonight as fresh as paint
My Bugbear is and has been for years Numbers in baskets
What the difference 20 sitting in high temperatures in France
And 22 having to sit in the same high temperatures in England
Crazy Crazy Rules passed by Pigeon Men
The absolute fortunes we spend on pigeons and we fail miserably with the basics
Whether it be inland or channel the rule should be 16 max
If it costs a £1 more so be it ,anyone with a gripe with that give them up
By Law water should have to be provided on three sides ,the same would apply to feeding
I'll gladly put a proposal in for 16 max if someone is willing to second it
The convoyers are doing a wonderful job its not their fault if birds cant access water because of numbers
As I stated just my democratic opinion
Atb Mick

Well said mick

#44 User is offline   THE FIFER 

• ADMIN
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationFIFE
  • Club:Leven HS

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:09 PM

fresh air is a must for pigeons as humans this is where they get oxygen in their blood , would be interesting if we had a gadget to test a few, we have ones for humans just clip it on your finger and it gives a result of your oxygen level,
THE FIFER (ADMIN)

http://fiferpigeons....lueyonder.co.uk

�� NOTICE

DELEGATES ARE MESSENGERS

#45 User is online   Big Davie 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationBlantyre, Lanarkshire

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:11 PM

View PostRebus, on 19 June 2017 - 22:55 PM, said:

Aye Davie you are entitled to your opinion but I don't think you can blame the transporter for the Reims race I think that was down to low cloud at the racepoint,and I don't see a problem with the birds drinking from the wicker baskets as I have also witnessed them drinking freely in the transporters and marking stations. With regard to bad races most are down error of judgment to put it politely IMO.

Jock, likewise, I don't think it's fair to blame the transporter for the bad race Lanarkshire had from Carentan, there were a lot of contributing factors to that also putting it politely

Regards Reims last year I think it's plain to see which Nat had the better race that day where for me that could be down to the transporter
:emoticon-0138-thinking: :unsure:
If your not in it you cant win it

#46 User is offline   tommy bhoys 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:15 PM

View PostBig Davie, on 19 June 2017 - 23:11 PM, said:

Jock, likewise, I don't think it's fair to blame the transporter for the bad race Lanarkshire had from Carentan, there were a lot of contributing factors to that also putting it politely

Regards Reims last year I think it's plain to see which Nat had the better race that day where for me that could be down to the transporter

davy it will be time in basket as snrpc use the channel tunnel and spend less time in the basket :drinking-coffee-200:

#47 User is offline   Rebus 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:19 PM

View PostBig Davie, on 19 June 2017 - 23:11 PM, said:

Aye Davie blame the National transporter but don't dare blame the Lanarkshire one. I'm with the wicker baskets and I hate to see birds in these tin cans JMO.

#48 User is offline   eric owenson 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationmidlothian
  • Club:Danderhall

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:19 PM

View Postglencameron, on 19 June 2017 - 22:03 PM, said:

Obviously and unfortunately this is surmising but I think we need to review the overall care from set off to liberation with potential emphasis on Fridays’ condition within the respective transporters.

How was water provided? what was the temperature within the transporters during the days I,e do we have temperature readings for this , was anything done to cool the transports down (if necessary). Despite the heat through England last weekend there has been good racing from more modern transportation.

If all the that was possible was done to the best of the ability of the people in charge of the pigeons (and fanciers expectations) before the release then we have elsewhere to consider, For myself the SNFC has lost the ideology and aspirations of our own state of the art transporters, that in itself is fine so long as what we choose to transport with has water available on 3 sides of a crate, has the ability to cool down (I,e not just reverberated heat around the transporter)

The fact the birds seem reported in a number of places would possibly indicate dehydration was at play early on.

If it was up to me I would say what can we afford in terms of state of the art transporter and work backwards from there, In that it may be only possible to purchase a 1000 bird lorry as a result in such cases some races would need to be limited in birdage for a numbers for fanciers.

The hot weather was always going to cause a demanding race, the story of them appearing elsewhere and also a perceived lack of returns onwards (in terms of numbers) make me think It’s Friday we should really be concentrating upon as this is when we could do our side of the care bargain for the pigeons. Until we look after our pigeons and respect them as the little miracles they are we are not going to be held in high regard when trying to discuss other issues such as hawks etc. albeit I do take on Rebus comment re hawks, even if so all of the above stands.

As always there are pigeons in good time and they deserve full credit and praise also there is a simple fact that after 8 plus hours of flying pigeons do start to drop out (in terms of racing) but it's not as simple in this instance as saying well some made it others should too.
well said glen

#49 User is offline   Harry0 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationEast wemyss Fife
  • Club:None as yet.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:20 PM

View Posttommy bhoys, on 19 June 2017 - 22:15 PM, said:

davy it will be time in basket as snrpc use the channel tunnel and spend less time in the basket :drinking-coffee-200:
Tam how you not try you own gerald transpoters for natonal races.

#50 User is offline   tommy bhoys 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:23 PM

View PostHarry0, on 19 June 2017 - 23:20 PM, said:

Tam how you not try you own gerald transpoters for natonal races.

its wicker baskets for national racing harry till the rules are changed :emoticon-0136-giggle:

#51 User is offline   frank-123 

• High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Distance Fanatic
  • LocationBlantyre
  • Club:none

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:23 PM

If it was the transporter that was the problem why would some doos get home in good time ??
Seems like the east west north all had lots of birds missing coming out of different transporters.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

#52 User is online   Big Davie 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationBlantyre, Lanarkshire

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:53 PM

View PostRebus, on 19 June 2017 - 23:19 PM, said:

Aye Davie blame the National transporter but don't dare blame the Lanarkshire one. I'm with the wicker baskets and I hate to see birds in these tin cans JMO.

Cmon Jock, you know me better than that, I'm a fair and reasonable man ( most of the time ) I'm not blaming anyone I'm only posting what I'm thinking
If your not in it you cant win it

#53 User is offline   novo10 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member

Posted 19 June 2017 - 23:29 PM

View PostRebus, on 19 June 2017 - 20:46 PM, said:

No I don't because the birds I got home on the day and next day were not distressed and hadn't lost much body weigh,t don't know the cause but I think the Perigrines played a part, the south coast is polluted with them jmo.

A don't beleive you jock you've been in the game along time and you said the heat never played a part omg

#54 User is offline   novo10 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member

Posted 19 June 2017 - 23:43 PM

View PostPaul Mac 31, on 19 June 2017 - 20:57 PM, said:

Maybe the best post iv seen on here..!!
MNFC
NIPA
NFC
all the best transport available.
Do they have bad races,, of course they do, but on days like saturday you would have to be insane not to think that a state of the art transporter would not have helped..

The main issue why its not happened isnt even about the birds... thats the sad thing... he dosnt like this one they dont like him... that there is whats killing the doo game... guys have pops at others.. *expletive removed* i like a bit of banter like most... but try my best to be respectful to others opinions..

Its time to stop the bitching and moaning about otganisations and put the birds first.. will we get bad races in the LRPF transporter ?? Of course we will...thats modern pigeon racing... but FFS give them the best opertunity..

5/17 from Saturday.

Hard to take...not gonna lie.. but i was gutted the way the race panned out for all... 6000 plus doos kinda got me thinkn we could get back to the old days with Nationals... i want everyone to have a great race, to encourage it..

Midlands transporter is a fkn shambles you can't get down middle of it to water birds got to pull baskets forward and they won't all see drinkers

#55 User is offline   greenbar 

• High Ranking
  • Locationsauchie
  • Club:clackmanan inv

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:08 AM

View Postnovo10, on 20 June 2017 - 00:43 AM, said:

Midlands transporter is a fkn shambles you can't get down middle of it to water birds got to pull baskets forward and they won't all see drinkers

That can't be right.

#56 User is offline   tiger 

• High Ranking

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:18 AM

View Postgreenbar, on 20 June 2017 - 05:08 AM, said:

That can't be right.

It is right 100 per cent

#57 User is offline   avante 

• Hatchling
  • PipPipPip
  • Club:dalzell

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:50 AM

best post I've seen on here all the better for the pigeons welfare ,because the snfc don't bother about there members welfare ,standing at venues far to small in pissing rain when some of them have health issues due to there support of there sport cmon snfc spend some of that yearly subs we pay on descent venues and better transport

#58 User is offline   Rebus 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:57 AM

View PostBig Davie, on 19 June 2017 - 23:53 PM, said:

Cmon Jock, you know me better than that, I'm a fair and reasonable man ( most of the time ) I'm not blaming anyone I'm only posting what I'm thinking

Davie I never meant it to sound that way,the point I'm trying to make is it had nothing to do with the transport if you read last weeks BHW the NFC report on the Messac race it looks like they had a worse race and they have drinkers on 3 sides of the crates. and can't understand how it happened.

#59 User is offline   tommy bhoys 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:01 AM

View Postavante, on 20 June 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

best post I've seen on here all the better for the pigeons welfare ,because the snfc don't bother about there members welfare ,standing at venues far to small in pissing rain when some of them have health issues due to there support of there sport cmon snfc spend some of that yearly subs we pay on descent venues and better transport

it does not make sense for snfc tae own there own transporters as for venues there is only one that would suit but you would still queue for hours as nae cant helps but the rules need changed to have the option tae go with geraldy transporters

#60 User is offline   Rebus 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

View Postnovo10, on 20 June 2017 - 00:29 AM, said:

A don't beleive you jock you've been in the game along time and you said the heat never played a part omg

Derek I know the heat can have a effect on the outcome of a race my main concern with that is them sitting in transporters in the heat but our birds ere liberated early and like I said returned in very good condition and didn't look dehydrated JMO.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

• Advert: Crafty Fifer: bespoke loft equipment
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders